Mark Viduka- Cut above

Guest BooBoo

In what was a desperately disappointing result, Viduka stood head and shoulders above anyone else on the field. Late on in the second hald, his close control to shield the ball from three defenders was incredible.

A shining light on what was otherwise a crap game.

:clap2:

i thought he was pretty poor along with the other 10 men

hes nothing special

If you're saying that in a non ironic way, then you know very little about football Kev. Odd really as your posts are usually decent.

Hate to say it but (as much as his contribution was vital in terms of the goals) I didn't think he stood out today.

Now, I appreciate that sounds fucking stupid........he's a forward, he's paid to score goals and he did.

However, I think his best days are behind him and we'll struggle to get much out of him for the cash he'll be picking up following his free transfer.

I can get my head around his importance in a 4-3-3 as a figurehead and can therefore completely understand his signing I just can't see him playing regularly and contributing consistently.

He turns up every 3 or 4 games.

If we're going to play 4-3-3/4-5-1 then we need players either side of him who are fast enough to get up and support him quickly, as he's great when he has to play little one-touch stuff and bring other players into the game.

I'd love to see Duff on the right and N'Zogbia on the left of Viduka up top, they're fast enough and direct enough to really compliment what Viduka does best.

Gives us the gola thrwat that Smith never will also. Can see an arguement for starting Smith away from home, especially given Viduka's fitness levels, but Viduka at home very time.

Riches, you must have watched a different game to me. In the past i have criticised Viduka for lacklustre showings but today he was exceptional, a real talent which we need to utilise. He's on a different planet to Martins and Smith.

Riches, you must have watched a different game to me. In the past i have criticised Viduka for lacklustre showings but today he was exceptional, a real talent which we need to utilise. He's on a different planet to Martins and Smith.

I must have BooBoo.

I don't disagree that he looked better the Oba and Smith but then they were both really poor imo today.

I didn't see him scoring at the end tbh (and he did do well to stick it away) but I'm yet to see him really dominate in a game and bully opposition a la Shearer.

Same with Owen. Really makes me laugh when people pick their preferred XIs, and stick Smith & Martins up-front....f****** hell man. Today we had over 20 shots at goal with 10 on target...yet those two could have played until next Christmas and still not look like scoring.

In what was a desperately disappointing result, Viduka stood head and shoulders above anyone else on the field. Late on in the second hald, his close control to shield the ball from three defenders was incredible.

A shining light on what was otherwise a crap game.

:clap2:

Absolutely! Spot on. A total class act.

Extra delight that his second goal came in the last five minutes. Shows he has a bit more energy than people give him credit for.

Top class today. Two great goals out of absolutely nothing. He shouldn't have been allowed to score them.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Viduka did OK but thats all he did to say he is a class act is fooling no-one he is over 30 and if he was a decnet player he would have made much more of an impression than so far in the top flight of football.

got to be viduka with martins in a 4-4-2, a good mix of intelligence and skill with pace and power, viduka can play centrally and drop deep and martins can move wide and stretch teams up top. especially important to have a pacy outlet away from home too, so i'd hope they start together at wigan. no more smith please.

If Mark Viduka was born with Miguel Indurain's heart and lungs, he'd be one of the best centre forwards the world has ever seen.

As it is, he is a very good striker, but he wont deliver for 90 minutes week in week out. The trick is to only get him on the pitch when he is in the right condition, as the game passes him by when he is out of shape.

Same with Owen. Really makes me laugh when people pick their preferred XIs, and stick Smith & Martins up-front....f****** hell man. Today we had over 20 shots at goal with 10 on target...yet those two could have played until next Christmas and still not look like scoring.

:thup:

Yup, gotta love the V-Bomber. It's almost a shame the big fella didn't end up at a club that could provide him with some decent service, there isn't a more attractive sight in football than the big man on the ball near the edge of the area.

If Mark Viduka was born with Miguel Indurain's heart and lungs, he'd be one of the best centre forwards the world has ever seen.

As it is, he is a very good striker, but he wont deliver for 90 minutes week in week out. The trick is to only get him on the pitch when he is in the right condition, as the game passes him by when he is out of shape.

I was going to remind you that you recently said The Duke only performs in the first-half or as a substitute.

Today the Big Man begged to differ.

I was going to remind you that you recently said The Duke only performs in the first-half or as a substitute.

Today the Big Man begged to differ.

Lets hope he can prove me wrong, as he is quality, and while Owen is out I'd persist with him for 90 minutes every game even though you can never be sure what Viduka shows up.

Don't forget though that this was his first full game for a while, and it was against a Derby side that clearly lacks in pace, ability and fitness levels.

With Martins and Smith you get more mobility so better football all round like against Arsenal. Viduka is technically superb, but he's like a planted tree as far as movement is concerned. Fine if there's lots of movement around him but there isn't.