Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

We should bring Cech in, but only after Mourinho takes over with John Terry as his captain.

Do people want to see Steve Harper in goal instead?

Actually yes, he did nothing to warrant being dropped earlier in the season and i'd have him in the side at the minute.

NB - i'm not saying given has played particularly badly, he had a good first half yesterday, but anyone who thinks he couldn't have made a difference with the first two goals is kidding themselves. Certainly not the first time this season either.

No keeper in the world would have saved that freekick tbh. He only saw it when the ball was 3 yards from him.

Given is miles better than Harper. Sad that when the team go through a bad patch (like the last few seasons unfortunately) then people think getting rid of Given will solve it. Madness.

Tbf I don't think there is a single player in the entire squad some mongs haven't wanted to get rid of for the past few years!

We should bring Cech in, but only after Mourinho takes over with John Terry as his captain.

Actually yes, he did nothing to warrant being dropped earlier in the season and i'd have him in the side at the minute.

NB - i'm not saying given has played particularly badly, he had a good first half yesterday, but anyone who thinks he couldn't have made a difference with the first two goals is kidding themselves. Certainly not the first time this season either.

No keeper in the world would have saved that freekick tbh. He only saw it when the ball was 3 yards from him.

Given is miles better than Harper. Sad that when the team go through a bad patch (like the last few seasons unfortunately) then people think getting rid of Given will solve it. Madness.

I don't want to get rid of Given, i just feel Harper had the jersey earlier in the season and did nothing to deserve having it taken off him. I also think since given has come back in he's looked a little dodgy with free-kicks and crosses. His distribution isn't amazing either, altho it's never been the best part of his game. Shot stopping is still (on the whole) amazing, such as from Ronaldo's shot in the first half.

I also don't believe you can say no keeper would have saved that free kick - he got a full hand to it, which means he should have saved it, it wasn't hit totally purely and once he got down there he should have knocked it round the post. You could see he was annoyed with himself.

I don't want to get rid of Given, i just feel Harper had the jersey earlier in the season and did nothing to deserve having it taken off him. I also think since given has come back in he's looked a little dodgy with free-kicks and crosses. His distribution isn't amazing either, altho it's never been the best part of his game. Shot stopping is still (on the whole) amazing, such as from Ronaldo's shot in the first half.

I also don't believe you can say no keeper would have saved that free kick - he got a full hand to it, which means he should have saved it, it wasn't hit totally purely and once he got down there he should have knocked it round the post. You could see he was annoyed with himself.

Agree with all that.

As most players can hit the ball over the wall (& some under it), why dont teams put a big defender on the line? Teams need to forget about offside & worry about conceding goals, I still think the defensive team will have the advantage with the goalkeeper.

I am sure there is a reason this is not done & am prepared to have this idea shot down.

As most players can hit the ball over the wall (& some under it), why dont teams put a big defender on the line? Teams need to forget about offside & worry about conceding goals, I still think the defensive team will have the advantage with the goalkeeper.

I am sure there is a reason this is not done & am prepared to have this idea shot down.

Offside does matter. If there's a deflection or the ball pings around, someone can knock it in from a yard away.

I've always wondered why teams don't have some kind of strategy on walls. Why not just half of them jump? :lol:

Just out of curiosity, were there people screaming "sell Shearer! He's past it!" On these boards around say... 02/03?

I'm certainly not suggesting we should sell him, in fact quite the opposite, i just hate the fact some people seem to think he can't be dropped. I remember when he was and he demanded a transfer, which wasn't exactly the best attitude, however when he was recalled he was awesome, maybe something similar would have been better this season, as a kick up the ass, instead of him waltzing back into the team when fit.

As for the Bolton keeper's error... Would he have saved that header had he stayed on the line? It went right in the top corner... I know he didn't get anywhere near the ball but the same outcome would have resulted

Offside does matter. If there's a deflection or the ball pings around, someone can knock it in from a yard away.

I've always wondered why teams don't have some kind of strategy on walls. Why not just half of them jump? :lol:

A see freekicks as  more of a danager than a corner, yet for a corner we have two men on the line.

Just out of curiosity, were there people screaming "sell Shearer! He's past it!" On these boards around say... 02/03?

I'm certainly not suggesting we should sell him, in fact quite the opposite, i just hate the fact some people seem to think he can't be dropped. I remember when he was and he demanded a transfer, which wasn't exactly the best attitude, however when he was recalled he was awesome, maybe something similar would have been better this season, as a kick up the ass, instead of him waltzing back into the team when fit.

As for the Bolton keeper's error... Would he have saved that header had he stayed on the line? It went right in the top corner... I know he didn't get anywhere near the ball but the same outcome would have resulted

If Given had done that he'd be murdered on here, guaranteed.

I love this "command the area" stuff. How do command the donkey army he's had as a defence for the past decade? His kicking has been poor admittedly, but it seems to me he consistently has to field more backpasses than any keeper in the league I'd reckon.

Incidentally, I thought Enrique was poor yesterday but folks on here seem to think he was one of our best players...utterly baffled, but then I usually am...

A see freekicks as  more of a danager than a corner, yet for a corner we have two men on the line.

No offside from a corner...

I wonder if anyone has ever tried putting 10 players on the line with the keeper in front of them?

Would be worth trying if youre 4-0 up or something, just for a laugh.

Seen it done for indirect free-kicks in the area. Shearer scored for England once from one.

A see freekicks as  more of a danager than a corner, yet for a corner we have two men on the line.

No offside from a corner...

I meant as  in defending the goal. I know what your saying about the rebound.

I personally don't think that Harper could lace Given's boots now.

I'd certainly drop Given after that performance. First half he was good, he made two really good saves (the rest was abysmal finishing from Rooney). The positioning for that free-kick, the error for the second goal and his all-round kicking was just shocking, though.

I'd certainly drop Given after that performance. First half he was good, he made two really good saves (the rest was abysmal finishing from Rooney). The positioning for that free-kick, the error for the second goal and his all-round kicking was just shocking, though.

you're being kind with that, one of the most inept goalkeeping displays i've ever seen, absolute garbage, we need a new keeper asap

you're being kind with that, one of the most inept goalkeeping displays i've ever seen, absolute garbage, we need a new keeper asap

You clearly aint seen many keepers in your time if thats the worst you've seen.  :rolleyes: I wonder what Shaka's doing these days?

You clearly aint seen many keepers in your time if thats the worst you've seen.  :rolleyes: I wonder what Shaka's doing these days?

i said one of the worst, maybe you should learn to read

Arguably the worst i've seen from Given, aye. But i haven't seen as many matches as most.