This Liverpool jizzfest.

Optimistic Nut

Guest Knightrider

In his first season he lost his star striker, still couldn't speak the lingo fully and had a squad full of dead wood from Houllier's... ah, I'm not even going to bother. :lol:

You have to laugh at our fans slating a manager of that quality after some of the duffers we've had recently. He's won more more major trophies in the past five seasons than most of them put together, and on a similar budget.

We're not Liverpool though. Benitez is supposed to have seriously improved that side...I'm not convinced. Even under Houllier they weren't THAT far behind Man U & Arsenal. They're a million miles behind them (bar last season which was more down to Man U & Arsenal having young squad's in transition) under Benitez.

We're not Liverpool though. Benitez is supposed to have seriously improved that side...I'm not convinced. Even under Houllier they weren't THAT far behind Man U & Arsenal. They're a million miles behind them (bar last season which was more down to Man U & Arsenal having young squad's in transition) under Benitez.

Well, when Houllier left they were not a million miles from us either. I know which path I would have preferred. :lol:

Playing devil's advocate to some of your points Knightrider-

The professional set up? Is this the club who have just had a long standing director resign for attacking the manager in the press? And have had a couple of failed takeover bids due to a chairman that doesn't have enough funds for a title challenge not wanting to give up his toy? The stadium project that still hasn't started work when it was supposed to be close to finished about now?

The top notch scouting network that signed Sissoko after the manager read in the newspaper that Everton had a bid accepted? Got the bargain Pennant for a fee rising to £8m or something ridiculous and unearthed gems like Pellegrino, Josemi, Nunez, Gonzalez, Zenden?

Though there have been some good buys too like Agger, Kuyt and Alonso I think you're going overboard with how great the scouting system is. Seems nothing special from the outside looking in- hit and miss like most clubs. Arsenal are still top dogs when it comes to scouting.

The CL success was a great achievement there is no disputing that but I think it was a one-off that papered over some of the cracks in the team and raised expectations too high for both fans and media. I think most would agree they look as far as ever from winning the league again. They actually finished higher under Houllier (2nd) than Benitez has managed  (5th, 4th and probably 3rd/4th this year).

He added an FA Cup last season but that is more just a reasonable achievement than a great one imo considering the outlay on the squad before and during his reign. I think they are caught between being too good for teams outside Chelsea, United and Arsenal but not being good enough to compete for the title with one single league victory against the rest of the "big four" during his reign.

Ah right, so last season was just down to the mancs and Arsenal not performing, even though Man Utd finished on 84 points (some transition), and nothing to do with Benitez improving Liverpool?

When was the last time we finished on 82 points by the way?

Is this the club who have just had a long standing director resign for attacking the manager in the press?

Am I missing something? Is that a bad thing?

Well, when Houllier left they were not a million miles from us either. I know which path I would have prefered. :lol:

Liverpool have slightly improved, we've went to the dogs.

Well, when Houllier left they were not a million miles from us either. I know which path I would have prefered. :lol:

Liverpool have slightly improved, we've went to the dogs.

liverpool have not slightly improved. as for the rest.....erm?

Let's just forget the last 20 or so posts and get back to saying how great I am for getting it spot-on about Liverpool this season.

don't cos i said the same and the more wwe say i told you so the more theyll come back like we did last season.

but as for those that said they'd challange chelsea :roll:

Guest kingdawson

Let's just forget the last 20 or so posts and get back to saying how great I am for getting it spot-on about Liverpool this season.

don't cos i said the same and the more wwe say i told you so the more theyll come back like we did last season.

but as for those that said they'd challange chelsea :roll:

Are you a wrestler?

Top and bottom of it is, they're only a strike force better than us.

You are absolutely s**ting me. Thats the funniest thing i've ever read on these forums.

You are absolutely s**ting me. Thats the funniest thing i've ever read on these forums.

Agreed. Apart from goalkeepers, they are far better from us in every department.

I'd give anything to have their defence and midfield, infact there strikerforce is argueabley their weakest position.

........ don't change the fact we have better fans.  bluewink.gif

50,000 Topless Geordies can't be wrong..........

Glad you agree. We got scarves at the weekend,does liverpool hand out stereos or........

Glad you agree. We got scarves at the weekend,does liverpool hand out stereos or........

Just through shit around...

literaly!

What's funny about it? We've conceded fewer, I wouldn't say their midfield is much better than ours (particularly with Gerrard out of position), only difference is, albeit the most important difference, they're scoring and winning their home games.

Guest Kenton Magpie

I think the league table represents how much "better" we are than 'pool and they arent even playing well

:bigbro:

Given > Reina

Finnan > Carr

Carragher > Taylor

Agger/Hyypia > Moore

Riise > Babayaro

Gerrard > Milner

Alonso > Emre

Sissoko > Parker

Duff > Gonzalez

Kuyt > Ameobi

Martins > Crouch

I agree with most of what you've said in this thread Nut, but Liverpool have a far, far better side than us - on paper and in reality. Their midfield is a million times better than ours, we're only stronger on the left flank. We may have conceded less goals, but their defenders are far superior to Bramble and co.

I don't mean in squad ability, I mean the way they're playing this season. Them at their best and us at our best and they'd be the better side. But just going on the first dozen games, it's only the strikers that's the difference.

Oh right, in that sense then yeh i'd agree with you.