If not Sam, who then?

Guest Knightrider

So did we lose that match because he played one up top, then?

I think we did, I think we lost it because they had nothing to worry about from us so they were allowed to play a game which didn't include having to worry too much about having to defend.

I remember Souness playing s****, clueless formations and getting nowhere with them in much the same way as Allardyce is doing, tbh. Shola and Bellamy on the wings, etc.

totally different,at least in the case of bellamy as we had no-one to play wide right (where he has played before) and could play shola through the middle instead.

I remember Souness playing s****, clueless formations and getting nowhere with them in much the same way as Allardyce is doing, tbh. Shola and Bellamy on the wings, etc.

totally different,at least in the case of bellamy as we had no-one to play wide right (where he has played before) and could play shola through the middle instead.

What? As far as I can remember we had Bowyer, Ambrose, Dyer and Milner who could all play on the right and allow our best player (which was undoubtedly Bellamy at that time) to play in his proper position. I seem to remember one match when we had Shola, Bellamy, Kluivert, Robert, and Shearer all on the pitch.

The fella was a mentalist, man.

What? As far as I can remember we had Bowyer, Ambrose, Dyer and Milner who could all play on the right and allow our best player (which was undoubtedly Bellamy at that time) to play in his proper position. I seem to remember one match when we had Shola, Bellamy, Kluivert, Robert, and Shearer all on the pitch.

Fulham at home when we lost 1-4 wasnt it? and was Jenas right back for most the game????

Fulham at home when we lost 1-4 wasnt it? and was Jenas right back for most the game????

due to injury wasn't it ? not a real tactical brainwave but a forced move

bowyer was playing centre mid at the time (or going throught one of his shit spells)...dyer injured (at a guess)ambrose was shit and i'm gonna check toonstats to see where milner was

bowyer was playing centre mid at the time (or going throught one of his shit spells)...dyer injured (at a guess)ambrose was shit and i'm gonna check toonstats to see where milner was

Look, I know you love Souness, but there can really be no excuse for playing Shola on the left. Even worse than playing Martins on the right.

bowyer was playing centre mid at the time (or going throught one of his s*** spells)...dyer injured (at a guess)ambrose was s*** and i'm gonna check toonstats to see where milner was

Look, I know you love Souness, but there can really be no excuse for playing Shola on the left. Even worse than playing Martins on the right.

righto.....look i never made an excuse for playing shola on the left. and totally agree re martins

bowyer was playing centre mid at the time (or going throught one of his s*** spells)...dyer injured (at a guess)ambrose was s*** and i'm gonna check toonstats to see where milner was

righto.....look i never made an excuse for playing shola on the left. and totally agree re martins

;)

Imo, there are some parallels. Souness seemed to come in and change things around simply to 'make his mark' and a lot of what Big Sam is up to smacks of the same nonsense to me. They both tried to be too clever and force changes that were neither wanted nor needed.

;)

Imo, there are some parallels. Souness seemed to come in and change things around simply to 'make his mark' and a lot of what Big Sam is up to smacks of the same nonsense to me. They both tried to be too clever and force changes that were neither wanted nor needed.

On the other hand the supporters are the last people you wnat to listen to if you want to bring long term change. :razz:

;)

On the other hand the supporters are the last people you wnat to listen to if you want to bring long term change. :razz:

Quite true, but you have to engender faith in the fans or you've played yo'self.

;)

Quite true, but you have to engender faith in the fans or you've played yo'self.

:lol:

I just like to put in the odd curve ball....Poor Sam. How can everything that looked so right go so wrong? [MrsParky/]

Souness, somehow, bought himself time by making fans believe he was on some holy mission to clear out the wasters and bring a new age of modernism and professionalism to Newcastle United. Turns out he was all mouth and no trousers, but so far, Big Sam has neither mouth nor trousers, and unless he obtains one or both of them soon, he'll be turfed out.

I thought Bellamy on the right was fair enough.  We had two good players in Kluivert and Shearer who were centre forwards.  Bellamy quite often worked the wings anyway, so it was worth a bash having 3 top players on.

I thought Bowyer was decent in the middle but terrible on the right.  Bobby insisted on playing him there, which is why he had a terrible first season. 

Guest Mcdonald36

We need a man with vision who brings with him tried and tested system and methods. Someone like Hiddink.

Sam is a half decent British manager who can get the best out of average players, but he's limited at the very top level.

I cannot believe how people on this site are arguing as to who is worse, Souness or Allardyce...

For goodness' SAKE - Souness HAS GONE - END OF..

Allardyce was appointed to do a better job than any manager since SBR ; has he done that? NO..

Does he show any signs of being able to do that ? NO..(This is THE crucial point..)

Are the team, despite all the changes in the Summer, better than during the past 2 seasons ? NO..

Are the fans happy ? NO..

Do they have faith in the manager ? NO..

Does this manager look/feel comfortable at SJP? NO..

Are we going to win matches against teams like Liverpool(Away), Man U(at home), or Chelsea(at home) with what is passing for Premiership football by this team ? NO..

Will this manager, and the way the team plays, be able to attract BETTER players in summer ? NO..

Are the fans prepared to wait possibly 4 years to get European Football ? NO..

Do we need better players to improve? YES..

Will the better players on the current staff start getting restless about being at a club not progressing? YES...

Have we played mainly moderate to poor opposition in the first half season ?  YES...

Can we now get back to the point, which is ; If not Big Sam, then who..?

Guest Toon Barmy

For those who want rid,  or don't think he's the right man. And none of this "not my job to pick the manager s****" either.

I am willing to change my mind about him if someone can convince me his replacement will be much much better for us.

HA HA

You wouldn't, or couldn't answer this question when you wanted rid of SBR

Just struck me, reading that, off-topic. I wonder how many managers have never really worked again (to date) in management after being sacked by Newcastle.

Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, any more?

Only Souness out of that 3.

Dalglish, less than 4 months at Celtic after over 2 years out of the game since leaving Newcastle.

Gullit, 5 years out of management after leaving Newcastle before a failed season at Feyenoord. Currently LA Galaxy celebrity manager.

My point was they weren't exactly hot property after their careers ended here. So in our search for the next manager how many would be put off by the track record of hiring and firing that went on here.

One thing I am pretty sure of, if Mort and Ashley set about finding a new manager they're unlikely to make a mistake and he will be given time. I'm looking forward to it already. :)

not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but, i really fear for Shearer.

What if he becomes manager.

he could be good at the job, but what if, after 3 months, he isnt doing well.

the ppl on this forum will absolutely destroy the good reputation he has built up over 20 years.

no manager will ever have success here.

what i would do is:

a) get some players in to stop the rot. players with some experiance that will at least keep us mid-table

b) clean the clubs books

c) get a good backroom staff

d) invest in the future so that we can mount a TITLE challenge in a few years time

as far as im concerned, all this is happening, and im pretty happy.

Didn't Sam play Shola on the left against Arsenal in the cup?

Dalglish, less than 4 months at Celtic after over 2 years out of the game since leaving Newcastle.

Gullit, 5 years out of management after leaving Newcastle before a failed season at Feyenoord. Currently LA Galaxy celebrity manager.

My point was they weren't exactly hot property after their careers ended here. So in our search for the next manager how many would be put off by the track record of hiring and firing that went on here.

One thing I am pretty sure of, if Mort and Ashley set about finding a new manager they're unlikely to make a mistake and he will be given time. I'm looking forward to it already. :)

How can you be sure of that? Ashley loves Smith and Mort is a lawyer. Why does that lead you to believe that they are shit hot at choosing football managers?

[/NE5]

How can you be sure of that? Ashley loves Smith and Mort is a lawyer. Why does that lead you to believe that they are s*** hot at choosing football managers?

[/NE5]

good post!  My mind tells me that Mort will have virtually no say in who is appointed, Ashley owns the club and is a fan, - it's his club.  I get the impression a replacement will be pretty much his choice, with Mort only coming into the fold when it comes to discussing wages, length of contract etc.

And my assumption is that Ashley will want a big name manager (ie. foreign) and may just perhaps be prepared to break the bank in order to get that person.

All in all it's little Mike's birthday party.  It's his party so everyone will let him do what he wants and have his way.