The cost of laying off Sam

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

had SSN on since I woke up, and they periodically keep going back to the situation at our beloved(?) club, saying "Sam is up against it", "Sam is on the brink" etc etc etc.  They've had Darren Lewis on from the Mirror, reviewing a Sun article, and saying that Sam faces an uphill struggle, that the team that lost to Wigan contained 5 of his own signings - basically it's his fault.  They keep mentioning that Ashley sits with the fans, and "they'll be telling him what they think". (Just to digress, has anyone bumped into him at any games?  Did they have a conversation with him and tell him what they think?  A little bit more press bullshit methinks).  All in all, the press appear to be calling for Sam's head more than the fans - so they have something to write about.

However, after clambering out of my pit, and sipping on a black coffee (and burning my tongue), I began to think about the logical consequence of sacking Sam.  And my conclusion is that it would only mean we would have no manager, and perhaps a clean-ish slate to try and clamber up the table in the vain hope of getting an Intertoto spot.

My first thought about whether we'll give Sam the boot is in the financial cost.  Immediately I thought of the cost to Mr. Ashley.  Allardyce hasn't even seen out a year of his contract, and I'm quite sure he won't be employed as our manager on a paltry sum of money.  Then, on top of that, there's the cost of all his kronies.  When most managers are sacked, their assistant(s) and perhaps a first-team coach go too.  A total of 5/6 people tops.  However, we get rid of Sam, and we're laying off 20-odd people IIRC.  Moreover, if I am to believe the bullshit I am fed through what we call the British Press, Sam has only just finished building this mass collection of "backroom staff".  If Mort (with Ashley's money) was prepared to keep backing him as far as perhaps 2 weeks ago, then to sack him would be a ludacris, knee-jerk reaction, because let's face it, no other manager in the world will want all the "sports science performance long-ball-to-viduka-and/or-smith analysers" knocking about at Darsley Park on a day-to-day basis.

We're getting the impression that Ashley isn't prepared to hand over large sums of money to Sam to spend in January, so to spend it on laying off staff wouldn't make sense.  Argubly it might help to take the club forward, but on the other hand it causes upheaval amongst the players in the middle of the season at a time when the new manager would have to settle with what he has to try and take the club forward.  However, I would much rather Ashley/Mort (let's call them Ashmort) gave Allardyce the vocal/financial backing in January to go out and make signings to improve the team.  For fucks sake, a blind chimp can see we lack creativity in midfield!

Moreover, there is the cost that Sam has already had to Ashley.  He gave him money to spend in the summer, and Sam spent it.  Some signings have worked (Beye, Faye) and others havn't (Smith, Barton).  And some don't even get a game! (Enrique).  As I mentioned before, Ashley doesn't appear to be prepared to spend his money hand over fist, and so to have already given him however much it all came to, only to then sack him, just doesn't make logical sense.  If Ashley never wanted Sam in the first place, he should have gotten rid as soon as he took over the club in the summer - it wouldn't be strange, we've seen managers last days/weeks before.

I couldn't watch the Derby game as I was travelling to the capital, but from what I've read, Sam was telling the players to do things, and they weren't doing it.  Fair enough, some if this lies with the coaches, who can't be doing their jobs properly, but also the players.  They've avoided the stick from so many in recent years (even with Bobby's sacking - Kieron "little cunt" Dyer refusing to play on the right).  It's about time that lot took a long hard look at themselves, regardless or not if Sam signed them, and counted their lucky stars that they ever made it in the Premier League to earn millions.  Then perhaps when they've learned to appreciate their cushy lifestyles and count themselves fortunate, they think about the poor fuckers that spend money to give them that.

For fucks sake, is it really asking too much?

top top fucking post.

Sam's staff is one of the main reasons i dont want him gone. We will only see the benefits of his management style in the long term. I for one am prepared to wait. Wish the sky kids and cynical fuckers can have a bit of patience as well.

EVEN ROEDER HAD A BETTER RECORD

Toon bosses in Premer League win percentages:

Kevin Keegan 55%

Bobby Robson 44%

Glenn Roeder 40%

Sam Allardyce 37%

Kenny Dalglish 34%

Graeme Souness 29%

For me the cost is 0 because no body is bigger than the club and with the current form and quality of players we won't go far this is the right time to get rid and sign world class manager. Can any one of you say Sam is World class? only world class managers need t be given to turn their tied.

had SSN on since I woke up, and they periodically keep going back to the situation at our beloved(?) club, saying "Sam is up against it", "Sam is on the brink" etc etc etc.  They've had Darren Lewis on from the Mirror, reviewing a Sun article, and saying that Sam faces an uphill struggle, that the team that lost to Wigan contained 5 of his own signings - basically it's his fault.  They keep mentioning that Ashley sits with the fans, and "they'll be telling him what they think". (Just to digress, has anyone bumped into him at any games?  Did they have a conversation with him and tell him what they think?  A little bit more press bullshit methinks).  All in all, the press appear to be calling for Sam's head more than the fans - so they have something to write about.

However, after clambering out of my pit, and sipping on a black coffee (and burning my tongue), I began to think about the logical consequence of sacking Sam.  And my conclusion is that it would only mean we would have no manager, and perhaps a clean-ish slate to try and clamber up the table in the vain hope of getting an Intertoto spot.

My first thought about whether we'll give Sam the boot is in the financial cost.  Immediately I thought of the cost to Mr. Ashley.  Allardyce hasn't even seen out a year of his contract, and I'm quite sure he won't be employed as our manager on a paltry sum of money.  Then, on top of that, there's the cost of all his kronies.  When most managers are sacked, their assistant(s) and perhaps a first-team coach go too.  A total of 5/6 people tops.  However, we get rid of Sam, and we're laying off 20-odd people IIRC.  Moreover, if I am to believe the bullshit I am fed through what we call the British Press, Sam has only just finished building this mass collection of "backroom staff".  If Mort (with Ashley's money) was prepared to keep backing him as far as perhaps 2 weeks ago, then to sack him would be a ludacris, knee-jerk reaction, because let's face it, no other manager in the world will want all the "sports science performance long-ball-to-viduka-and/or-smith analysers" knocking about at Darsley Park on a day-to-day basis.

We're getting the impression that Ashley isn't prepared to hand over large sums of money to Sam to spend in January, so to spend it on laying off staff wouldn't make sense.  Argubly it might help to take the club forward, but on the other hand it causes upheaval amongst the players in the middle of the season at a time when the new manager would have to settle with what he has to try and take the club forward.  However, I would much rather Ashley/Mort (let's call them Ashmort) gave Allardyce the vocal/financial backing in January to go out and make signings to improve the team.  For fucks sake, a blind chimp can see we lack creativity in midfield!

Moreover, there is the cost that Sam has already had to Ashley.  He gave him money to spend in the summer, and Sam spent it.  Some signings have worked (Beye, Faye) and others havn't (Smith, Barton).  And some don't even get a game! (Enrique).  As I mentioned before, Ashley doesn't appear to be prepared to spend his money hand over fist, and so to have already given him however much it all came to, only to then sack him, just doesn't make logical sense.  If Ashley never wanted Sam in the first place, he should have gotten rid as soon as he took over the club in the summer - it wouldn't be strange, we've seen managers last days/weeks before.

I couldn't watch the Derby game as I was travelling to the capital, but from what I've read, Sam was telling the players to do things, and they weren't doing it.  Fair enough, some if this lies with the coaches, who can't be doing their jobs properly, but also the players.  They've avoided the stick from so many in recent years (even with Bobby's sacking - Kieron "little cunt" Dyer refusing to play on the right).  It's about time that lot took a long hard look at themselves, regardless or not if Sam signed them, and counted their lucky stars that they ever made it in the Premier League to earn millions.  Then perhaps when they've learned to appreciate their cushy lifestyles and count themselves fortunate, they think about the poor fuckers that spend money to give them that.

Interesting post. I agree that financially it makes sense to keep the key backroom staff. Doesn't mean we have to keep to organ grinder though.

Incidentally, what does ludacris mean? I can't find it on dictionary.com.

Guest assyriantoon

Do you think you could show us the win percentage in their first seasons? Wouldn't that be a more fair way to compare them?

I couldn't watch the Derby game as I was travelling to the capital, but from what I've read, Sam was telling the players to do things, and they weren't doing it.  Fair enough, some if this lies with the coaches, who can't be doing their jobs properly, but also the players.  They've avoided the stick from so many in recent years (even with Bobby's sacking - Kieron "little c***" Dyer refusing to play on the right).  It's about time that lot took a long hard look at themselves, regardless or not if Sam signed them, and counted their lucky stars that they ever made it in the Premier League to earn millions.  Then perhaps when they've learned to appreciate their cushy lifestyles and count themselves fortunate, they think about the poor fuckers that spend money to give them that.

Interesting post. I agree that financially it makes sense to keep the key backroom staff. Doesn't mean we have to keep to organ grinder though.

is it not actually a word like?  Me mother uses it all the time!  Means rediculous

It would certainly cost a lot to sack them all and pay off their contracts. Would we have to sack them though? I would have thought we could just sack allardyce and leave the rest of them here. Then the new manager could come in and assess the staff in the same way as the players and decide which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of. Those who are loyal enough to big sam to follow him would resign as well. I don't see it as a package deal of sack allardyce = sack the rest.

For me the cost is 0 because no body is bigger than the club and with the current form and quality of players we won't go far this is the right time to get rid and sign world class manager. Can any one of you say Sam is World class? only world class managers need t be given to turn their tied.

It is true that nobody is bigger than the club. But if the current form and quality of players remain the same even if the manager changes, will that help?

Sam definitely isn't World Class now, but that doesn't mean in the future, if given time, he can't be. Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson ain't World Class to start with anyway.

Tell me, who's World Class? Why are they World Class? Will they come? If they failed and ended up like our predecessors, will you give him time? Or will you dismiss him as 'not World Class' or 'Faked World Class' or the likes?

It would certainly cost a lot to sack them all and pay off their contracts. Would we have to sack them though? I would have thought we could just sack allardyce and leave the rest of them here. Then the new manager could come in and assess the staff in the same way as the players and decide which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of. Those who are loyal enough to big sam to follow him would resign as well. I don't see it as a package deal of sack allardyce = sack the rest.

Not too sure though, there may be issues of mutual trust and confidence and redundancy in the long term?

Rgds,

Ericz

I couldn't watch the Derby game as I was travelling to the capital, but from what I've read, Sam was telling the players to do things, and they weren't doing it.  Fair enough, some if this lies with the coaches, who can't be doing their jobs properly, but also the players.  They've avoided the stick from so many in recent years (even with Bobby's sacking - Kieron "little c***" Dyer refusing to play on the right).  It's about time that lot took a long hard look at themselves, regardless or not if Sam signed them, and counted their lucky stars that they ever made it in the Premier League to earn millions.  Then perhaps when they've learned to appreciate their cushy lifestyles and count themselves fortunate, they think about the poor fuckers that spend money to give them that.

is it not actually a word like?  Me mother uses it all the time!  Means rediculous

It's probably spelt wrongly, but i'm not the person to ask how to spell it right.

Back on topic, keep his staff. Lets hope there's a clause in his contract that if he doesn't finish about a certain place we can sack him for nowt.

O0  Superb.

Do you think you could show us the win percentage in their first seasons? Wouldn't that be a more fair way to compare them?

Not at all Roader and Souness have only one full season under their belt. I give Roader a plus because he have a UEFA cup to bother with on top of injurys but in all fairness all are avaerage managers and with average once we shouldn't excpect a great deal.

O0   Superb.

What's rediculous? Couldn't find that either.

O0   Superb.

What's rediculous? Couldn't find that either.

I'm pretty sure it means ludacris Parky

I can't help but feel that the Barton incident has completely changed things.

It might be the final straw. Even if it doesn't mean Sam gets the sack, it might certainly mean that he doesn't get any money this window.

My Dad (only half tongue-in-cheek) reckons Allardyce knows he's not up to the job and is trying to get the sack. It would make his selections and comments make sense.

My Dad (only half tongue-in-cheek) reckons Allardyce knows he's not up to the job and is trying to get the sack. It would make his selections and comments make sense.

Been thinking that for a while, the only feasible explanation for whats going on

(Just to digress, has anyone bumped into him at any games?  Did they have a conversation with him and tell him what they think?  A little bit more press bullshit methinks)

aye saw him at wigan at the bar, he was mobbed though, walking in an ashley wonderland ringing in his ears