Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Shearer manager, Big Sam DoF.

A few years ago Big Sam was so sick and tired of seeing England lose in sport and grassroots sport being in such a mess, he sent a detailed dossier to sport England with some ideas, they wrote back offering him a job running the whole lot. I think he'd make a great administrator for a football club which was basically half his job at Bolton anyway.

A few years ago Big Sam was so sick and tired of seeing England lose in sport and grassroots sport being in such a mess, he sent a detailed dossier to sport England with some ideas, they wrote back offering him a job running the whole lot. I think he'd make a great administrator for a football club which was basically half his job at Bolton anyway.

I remember something along those lines Coach.

SA would make a good DOF as I said in the OP.

Let's look at the footballing careers of Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourninio, Rafa Benitez et al.  Not exactly world beaters.

Who knows whether Shearer has what it takes, but I'd much prefer some experience.  

Alex Ferguson -  Joined Rangers for a then record fee for a transfer between two Scottish clubs.

Arsene Wegner - Won a league title in France

Rafa Benitez  - Was injured young while in the Read Madrid system.

So we are looking for a s*** footballer who has managed someone like Huddersfield..............what about X-Newcastle stopper Peter

Jackson?

You miss my point.  At present, the only rationale for Shearer's possible appointment is that he was a fantastic, committed player.  Well, so was Bryan Robson, so was Stuart Pearce.  Would you want either of them managing the club?

I noticed a huge decrease in Newcastle Uniteds form when Roeder was without Shearer by his side. He is a natural leader of men. He can play hardball in the corridors of power as well. Has an ego, alway a good thing for a Newcastle manager. Has feel for the club & place. He is a iconic captain like previous Newcastle managers who did not have much experince before taking the Newcastle United job Keegan & Joe Harvery, who both would of struggled to get the job if you had your way.

How did I miss your point? You think someone should be a crap player & managed somewhere before? Ask Fulham fans what they thought of Lawrie Sanchez in charge of Fulham compared to Chris Coleman. Vialli & Ruud did well at Chelsea, in fact Ruud did so well at Chelsea he ended up becoming boss of Newcastle.  Bobby Robson was a good player & turned out a good manager, Johan Cruyff did well at Barcelona, Frank Rijkaard as well, Martin O'Neil at Villa, Carlo Ancelotti current Champion League winning manager was a good player as well.

Guest Knightrider

He mentioned it in a John Barnes interview for C5 and Barnes asked him to elaborate, so he did and for 10 minutes he basically listed everything that's wrong with English sport at professional level and kids' level and maybe ways to change it. It impressed me enough to then take a greater interest in the man so I followed his fortunes with Bolton. This was 2002 I think.

He actually said as well he was flattered by the offer from Sport England and that it's certainly something he'd enjoy later on. I think when he's finished with managing we'll see him either running a club, being a DOF or working for the FA.

This is why it pains me so much to see him getting so much flack and so much wrong because he's a really clever bloke when it comes to football and indeed sport, I've read numerous UEFA packs where he's wrote articles for them on just about every aspect of the game and the man talks a lot of sense and has some truly good ideas. I wish I still had them. I supposed to be going to one of these UEFA things after the New Year as he's penciled in to do a "lecture".

Will actually check up on all that as I forgot about it.

A DOF?!

You've changed your tune.

Do you have a link  about this?

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

Because they're evil people who only stab managers in the back, like Comolli.

He mentioned it in a John Barnes interview for C5 and Barnes asked him to elaborate, so he did and for 10 minutes he basically listed everything that's wrong with English sport at professional level and kids' level and maybe ways to change it. It impressed me enough to then take a greater interest in the man so I followed his fortunes with Bolton. This was 2002 I think.

He actually said as well he was flattered by the offer from Sport England and that it's certainly something he'd enjoy later on. I think when he's finished with managing we'll see him either running a club, being a DOF or working for the FA.

This is why it pains me so much to see him getting so much flack and so much wrong because he's a really clever bloke when it comes to football and indeed sport, I've read numerous UEFA packs where he's wrote articles for them on just about every aspect of the game and the man talks a lot of sense and has some truly good ideas. I wish I still had them. I supposed to be going to one of these UEFA things after the New Year as he's penciled in to do a "lecture".

Will actually check up on all that as I forgot about it.

A lot of the current fiasco is that the club was in such a state when he arrived with a lot of players with little motivation etc and  it looks like power cliques etc..

IMO the players also bear a big responsability for the performances.

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

I see.   :lol:

But there is method in my madness...

In this case it would make common sense if the worst did happen that SA could continue his behind the scenes work and at least have some continuity there with his infrastructure building and scouting etc. As Coach says and I agree he has a talent for this kind of thing.

Guest Knightrider

Do you have a link  about this?

I don't no, he did say it though as I remember talking about it on either nufc.nu or HTT.com, can't remember which, not in regards to NUFC, but sport and grassroots football. I think I basically said the FA should appoint him as caretaker of football in this country or words to that effect.

He was a regular on John Barnes' footy show and his interviews on that show are what initially got me interested in him, his ideas, his management and what he was doing at Bolton.

Because they weren't Sky, they struggled to get the top names on so would interview managers like Allardyce, Moyes before he went to Everton and other lower league managers which I enjoyed a lot more than the shite the top managers spouted. Lately Aidy Boothroyd has impressed me, and again it stemmed from a few interviews on John Barnes' show.

I like managers who build things around philosophies rather than straight up coaching or by signing good players and so on. They usually have more to them.

Do you have a link  about this?

I don't no, he did say it though as I remember talking about it on either nufc.nu or HTT.com, can't remember which, not in regards to NUFC, but sport and grassroots football. I think I basically said the FA should appoint him as caretaker of football in this country or words to that effect.

He was a regular on John Barnes' footy show and his interviews on that show are what initially got me interested in him, his ideas, his management and what he was doing at Bolton.

Because they weren't Sky, they struggled to get the top names on so would interview managers like Allardyce, Moyes before he went to Everton and other lower league managers which I enjoyed a lot more than the shite the top managers spouted. Lately Aidy Boothroyd has impressed me, and again it stemmed from a few interviews on John Barnes' show.

I like managers who build things around philosophies rather than straight up coaching or by signing good players and so on.

...iirc he also took part in some cross manager sessions with other non-competing managers from around the world during the last World Cup.

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

I see. But in this case it would make common sense if the worst did happen that SA could continue his behind the scenes work and at least have some continuity there with his infrastructure building and scouting etc. As Coach says and I agree he has a talent for this kind of thing.

I seem to remember giving those reasons for wanting a DOF in the past and you argued against it.

Have you changed your mind?

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

I see. But in this case it would make common sense if the worst did happen that SA could continue his behind the scenes work and at least have some continuity there with his infrastructure building and scouting etc. As Coach says and I agree he has a talent for this kind of thing.

I seem to remember giving those reasons for wanting a DOF in the past and you argued against it.

In the case of SA becoming the DOF yes. I wouldn't want to see what he's started behind the scenes wasted.

...so that's a half yes... :razz:

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

In the case of SA becoming the DOF yes. I wouldn't want to see what he's started behind the scenes wasted.

You can admit you now agree with me Parky, I won't go on about it. :shifty:

A DOF?!

How so Baggy?

You can admit you now agree with me Parky, I won't go on about it. :shifty:

You know deep down I can't do that.

How would we have our fun?  :parky:

Guest Knightrider

A DOF should only ever be considered if it's the manager doing the considering and only brought in if it's the manager who chooses the DOF, otherwise I don't think it's the best way forward.

Anyway, didn't Big Sam have one at Bolton, a Technical Director in Taylor or was it Forde?

A DOF should only ever be considered if it's the manager doing the considering and only brought in if it's the manager who chooses the DOF, otherwise I don't think it's the best way forward.

Anyway, didn't Big Sam have one at Bolton, a Technical Director in Taylor or was it Forde?

I think he's missing Forde (Chelsea).

Guest Knightrider

I think he's missing Forde (Chelsea).

Could be but what impact did Forde have on the footballing side of things, i.e. match day?

i wouldn't be worried about shearer as manager,sure,i'd rather a hitzfeld or hiddinck but these seem ulikely. the idea that he should prove himself at a lower level now seems archaic as the qualities needed are totally different,tactically and man mangement wise.

there are plenty of quality players throughout europe who went straight in to top tier (even international) management and made good jobs out of it as they learnt from their experiences and from their managers and coaches.

he would command respect and get the club pulling as one. in summary not my top choice but not as bad as some are making out.

i wouldn't be worried about shearer as manager,sure,i'd rather a hitzfeld or hiddinck but these seem ulikely. the idea that he should prove himself at a lower level now seems archaic as the qualities needed are totally different,tactically and man mangement wise.

there are plenty of quality players throughout europe who went straight in to top tier (even international) management and made good jobs out of it as they learnt from their experiences and from their managers and coaches.

he would command respect and get the club pulling as one. in summary not my top choice but not as bad as some are making out.

Commanding respect and pulling as one will be as nothing when he starts losing a few games and has no experience to fall back on. A few years ago this former respected player lark had some mileage, even 3/4 years ago it was just about do-able. Now the PL is like a shark tank with half a dozen world class managers and another half a dozen tough cookies following up. In short we should actually try the novel approach now we have some fianancial stability of getting the absolute best manager for the job ie not Shearer.