Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i wouldn't be worried about shearer as manager,sure,i'd rather a hitzfeld or hiddinck but these seem ulikely. the idea that he should prove himself at a lower level now seems archaic as the qualities needed are totally different,tactically and man mangement wise.

there are plenty of quality players throughout europe who went straight in to top tier (even international) management and made good jobs out of it as they learnt from their experiences and from their managers and coaches.

he would command respect and get the club pulling as one. in summary not my top choice but not as bad as some are making out.

Commanding respect and pulling as one will be as nothing when he starts losing a few games and has no experience to fall back on. A few years ago this former respected player lark had some mileage, even 3/4 years ago it was just about do-able. Now the PL is like a shark tank with half a dozen world class managers and another half a dozen tough cookies following up. In short we should actually try the novel approach now we have some fianancial stability of getting the absolute best manager for the job ie not Shearer.

he has experience as a player and how his managers coped,look at all those who have went straight in.

do we have the finacial clout...ie is ashley gonna let loose ? you seem set that he is as we've discussed it before.

i wouldn't be worried about shearer as manager,sure,i'd rather a hitzfeld or hiddinck but these seem ulikely. the idea that he should prove himself at a lower level now seems archaic as the qualities needed are totally different,tactically and man mangement wise.

there are plenty of quality players throughout europe who went straight in to top tier (even international) management and made good jobs out of it as they learnt from their experiences and from their managers and coaches.

he would command respect and get the club pulling as one. in summary not my top choice but not as bad as some are making out.

Commanding respect and pulling as one will be as nothing when he starts losing a few games and has no experience to fall back on. A few years ago this former respected player lark had some mileage, even 3/4 years ago it was just about do-able. Now the PL is like a shark tank with half a dozen world class managers and another half a dozen tough cookies following up. In short we should actually try the novel approach now we have some fianancial stability of getting the absolute best manager for the job ie not Shearer.

he has experience as a player and how his managers coped,look at all those who have went straight in.

do we have the finacial clout...ie is ashley gonna let loose ? you seem set that he is as we've discussed it before.

Who went straight in?

I hope you're not going to mention Rijkaard.. :lol:

MA has no option but to let loose more cash, you can't tread water in the PL cause you go backwards and it's the quickest way of losing the value of your investment.

I'm not going to knock Shearer too much, I bet the whole place would get a massive lift from such an appointment.  I don't know if that would out-weigh the negatives but it would be a massive lift for some.

One of the bigger positives is that he'll teach the players to play for the shirt. He'll also have respect and contacts in the football world, many fans will be boosted by such a move to get him in as he is still seen as the 'saviour' but as mentioned in this thread earlier, once things start to go wrong, he won't have the experience to turn it around.

I wouldn't have him here.

Who went straight in?

beckenbauer,mark hughes,keegan,platini,capello,roberto mancini,marco van basten,dalglish

Who went straight in?

beckenbauer,mark hughes,keegan,platini,capello,roberto mancini,marco van basten,dalglish

...you forgot to mention the clubs...I know why. :lol:

Who went straight in?

...you forgot to mention the clubs...I know why. :lol:

beckenbauer,van basten,hughes and platini were international managers(supposedly even tougher). i kept it even as i had earlier mentioned "top flight (even international)..4 international 4 top flight (3 really...can you spot which?)

Please mention the clubs and countries involved although I'm not sure what international managers with world class squads have to do with the toon job. But you must have a very salient point otherwise you wouldn't bring it up eh?

Beck and Platini... :lol: Respective managers of Germany and France... Our set up is a little different maddy.  ;)

I can see why you're hesitant mind.  :lol:

Please mention the clubs and countries involved although I'm not sure what international managers with world class squads have to do with the toon job. But you must have a very salient point otherwise you wouldn't bring it up eh?

Beck and Platini... :lol: Respective managers of Germany and France... Our set up is a little different maddy.  ;)

and wales ?...holland at the time,even france at the time.

do stop it with the  ;D...it has all the fakeness of NE5's  mackems.gif

and wales ?...holland at the time,even france at the time.

do stop it with the  ;D...it has all the fakeness of NE5's  mackems.gif

Well if you haven't anything to back up these ludicrous comparisons to our situation I suggest we move on.

BTW I mentioned Hughes earlier in the thread. He is average at an average club is that what you had in mind?

Please let me help you in any way I can make some connection with world class international outfits and squads and set ups and our lot.

yeah france were fantastic at that time...didn't he take over after they had failed to qualify for the euro championships

We're talking about the PL I don't intend to waste my time arguing the toss over international squads from back in the day....

Give me some good examples of players taking over at clubs in trouble in thier respective top divisions ideally the PL or maybe Serie A and we can discuss. Don't bother if the teams turn out to be more or less the powerhouse outfits in thier league ie Barca, Inter and so on...The comparisons woud be childish and ill thought through.

Now are we done here?  :-*

yeah france were fantastic at that time...didn't he take over after they had failed to qualify for the euro championships afetr only 1 of their qualifying games...aye world class

Platini was named coach of the French national side on November 1, 1988, replacing Henri Michel, who had been forced out after France infamously drew with Cyprus (1-1) in a 1990 World Cup qualifier. France's qualifying campaign was ultimately unsuccessful.

The focus of the team shifted to qualifying for the 1992 European Championship in Sweden. France excelled in the qualifying stages, winning all eight of their group matches, including notable victories away to Spain and Czechoslovakia. After a record 19-match unbeaten run, they were among the favourites to win the competition and Platini was named Manager of the Year by the World Soccer Awards. But a string of uninspiring performances in warm-up matches, followed by France's first-round elimination from the tournament, led Platini to step down as coach.

from Wiki...

yeah france were fantastic at that time...didn't he take over after they had failed to qualify for the euro championships

We're talking about the PL I don't intend to waste my time arguing the toss over international squads from back in the day....

Give me some good examples of players taking over at clubs in trouble in thier respective top divisions ideally the PL or maybe Serie A and we can discuss. Don't bother if the teams turn out to be more or less the powerhouse outfits in thier league ie Barca, Inter and so on...The comparisons woud be childish and ill thought through.

Now are we done here?  :-*

but we are going to be the powerhouse with ashleys cash you are so confident he is going to spend.

in a way i'd quite like us to appoint him just to f****** get it out of the way, whether he'd do well or not, who can say, it doesnt usually go well for people with such little experience though

Nail and head

Until he's had the job and done whatever he can with it the job is always going to be being kept warm for him. I'm firmly in the no camp and sick of his mention everytime something happens. And all this balls about getting them to play for the shirt.... if Shearer had really had this club at heart he'd have kept to his word and quit when he said he was going to and maybe we'd have won the FA or UEFA Cup that year when everyone was beginning to pull together.

If he did get the job i see a situation like the one the mackems have got where no-one dares criticise him for fear or sullying the reputation. The press are so scared of the dog walker its unbelievable and brilliantly its doing the filth more harm than good.

Get him in, if its a sucess brilliant, if its not then case closed and we can all move on.

in a way i'd quite like us to appoint him just to f****** get it out of the way, whether he'd do well or not, who can say, it doesnt usually go well for people with such little experience though

Nail and head

Until he's had the job and done whatever he can with it the job is always going to be being kept warm for him. I'm firmly in the no camp and sick of his mention everytime something happens. And all this balls about getting them to play for the shirt.... if Shearer had really had this club at heart he'd have kept to his word and quit when he said he was going to and maybe we'd have won the FA or UEFA Cup that year when everyone was beginning to pull together.

If he did get the job i see a situation like the one the mackems have got where no-one dares criticise him for fear or sullying the reputation. The press are so scared of the dog walker its unbelievable and brilliantly its doing the filth more harm than good.

Get him in, if its a sucess brilliant, if its not then case closed and we can all move on.

Couldn't agree more. :thup:

Feel-good appointments might work in the short term, but as Keegan found out as England manager, you need more than that to sustain success. I doubt Shearer has anything close to the footballing knowledge of Allardyce and I don't think he would have been anything like as thorough behind the scenes as far as backroom staff and fitness regimes.

Shearer always comes across as a plank on MoTD. At the moment that's all I have to judge him by so he should stick to doing that (very badly) IMO.

Feel-good appointments might work in the short term, but as Keegan found out as England manager, you need more than that to sustain success. I doubt Shearer has anything close to the footballing knowledge of Allardyce and I don't think he would have been anything like as thorough behind the scenes as far as backroom staff and fitness regimes.

Shearer always comes across as a plank on MoTD. At the moment that's all I have to judge him by so he should stick to doing that (very badly) IMO.

He really really does.

I get the feeling the rest of them don't quite listen to what he says either, feels like a right outsider trying to butt in most of the time.

My predication, however it may be labeled by some, is that if Shearer is named manager we'll be relegated inside of 2 years!

He may have the respect as a player of all-and-sundry however he has nil respect as a manager, just because he hasn't earned any yet.  He's a managerial nobody who just happens to have passed a few exams designed to keep the rabble out of top-flight management positions.  He needs at least 2 years below the Championship being successful, then at least 2 years in the Championship being successful before I'd even remotely consider him ready for the EPL.

Nail and head

Is it? That may have been the case under Shepherd but i can't see Mike Ashley, who has poured millions of pounds into the club, allowing a complete rookie to take charge simply because he used to be a popular player amongst the fans.

My predication, however it may be labeled by some, is that if Shearer is named manager we'll be relegated inside of 2 years!

He may have the respect as a player of all-and-sundry however he has nil respect as a manager, just because he hasn't earned any yet.  He's a managerial nobody who just happens to have passed a few exams designed to keep the rabble out of top-flight management positions.  He needs at least 2 years below the Championship being successful, then at least 2 years in the Championship being successful before I'd even remotely consider him ready for the EPL.

:laugh:

See the thing is Mort is intelligent and Ashley is a kind of street wise wheeler dealer...They need to keep strictly rational if there is  managerial change.

the needs and qualities needed to manage outside the prem have little to do with those of managing in the prem,especially if given money to spend.

wht i'm trying to say is that the talents and qualities to manage hartlepool are different to those needed to manage newcastle

the needs and qualities needed to manage outside the prem have little to do with those of managing in the prem,especially if given money to spend.

wht i'm trying to say is that the talents and qualities to manage hartlepool are different to those needed to manage newcastle

Sure, but just as someone who has EPL management experience has infinitely more qualification than someone who has only managed in the Championship, someone who has a few years experience in the Championship has infinitely more experience than someone who has attended a few silver-service lunches during management training.

For me, however, the one saving grace is that both Ashley and Mort are business men first, and football club owners second.  They would -NEVER- put an inexperienced person in to a senior management role in their companies and hence are very unlikely to put one in charge of this company.  I think the best Shearer can expect from our new owner is a senior advisory role or a senior coaching role, which I also think he is more likely to be interested in.

Ashley and Mort are not interested in making NUFC the "Survivor" of the EPL, that is to say do what is popular so you don't get voted out.  They want to make our club more like Neighbors, that is a consistent performer that generates good profits year after year after year after year.  They will not sack Sam unless one of two things happens, either we really start to look relegation bound, or an absolute superstar manager throws his hat in the ring and says he wants the job.