How can Big Sam win you over?

Guest Knightrider

Realise methods & people who did a job at Bolton may not be required at Newcastle. Fergie did this when dumping long time side kick Archi knox at Man Utd

Dump the spreadsheet & go with what you think for the team.

Charlie in midfield

Don't talk about nullifying the oppo in public.

If so much work has been done behind the scene then invite at least invite the local press to meet these people & talk to them. I find the press blackout of this shocking it is a positive thing.

Get on the radio if Souey can do it & let people know what your about.

Good thread CHHT

Guest Brummiemag

Start playing some football, play from the back, stop hoofing the ball and start playing with a more positive attitude away from home

If Big Sam cannot get the current squad of players to take the match to the cellar dwellars, he cannot win me over.

He needs to have a system that can take control of the game, and dominate the game. Being second best to teams like Derby and the mackems is frankly ridiculous. The only reason we are not down with those teams is moments of individual brilliance have produced a few goals.

For me it isn't about results so much as about being thoroughly outplayed by teams that are absolute garbage. Every team is allowed an off day  but this team is getting less cohesive as the season goes on. That will happen when you play a different central defensive pairing every week and put players out of position every week though.

Guest VegasToon

- Players in right position

- 4-4-2

- Don't play this defensive, tight football

- Don't go into every game looking for a draw

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It seems ludicrous/cris that already, he's past the point of no return after under 20 games in charge so I'm appealing to the good side of you all here and ask, what can he do to win you over? I say this because I believe every single one of us (or hope so) would love nothing better than to see him succeed.

Fire away...

He needs to swallow his ego and change the current system, it obviously isn't working. Play our best players where they are most effective and ditch this awful shithouse 3 man midfield. If he did this i would be very happy, the problem is i can't see it happening.

He needs to swallow his ego and change the current system, it obviously isn't working. Play our best players where they are most effective and ditch this awful shithouse 3 man midfield. If he did this i would be very happy, the problem is i can't see it happening.

He ditched the 3 man midfield last game and replaced it with a 5 man midfield.

Guest taff2727

come out public and explain his tactics,just let us know what his masterplan is.

feck we might agree with him.

but he needs to communicate or he's finished.

I'd love to see a "team" goal, more than anything. A goal with a few passes, a nice move... Have we scored one yet this season away from home!?! Just some flair in there.

Just some moments of actual football, I think, would be enough to appease some. I don't believe he's advocating a 100% long-ball game, he didn't even employ that at Bolton.

I'd love to see some of our lads with the shackles off (N'Zogbia, Milner, Duff, Emre in particular) just given license to hurt the opponent. Score some fucking goals, take the lead, THEN play organised football.

come out public and explain his tactics,just let us know what his masterplan is.

I agree with that, really. A lot of the booing in the Liverpool match was simply because no one could understand what the fuck he was doing/trying to do.

tbf, if he tells us his masterplan, he tells the whole league his masterplan, then it's not a 'masterplan' at all because it'll be common knowledge!

Mind you, it would be nice for him to come out and say why he's continuing to do something that clearly isn't working.

Lose his stubborn streak and concede that setting out to nullify your opponent should come second to trying to score against them.

At the moment he seems to be hoping to capitalize on something whilst keeping a clean sheet.

Communication would be nice too, he seemed to talk sense every time he opened his mouth at the beginning but increasingly it's all defensive twaddle. If we knew what he was trying to do we'd be far more understanding and patient. We might even understand what he says, we're not all the same as the Sky version of us.

Guest taff2727

tbf, if he tells us his masterplan, he tells the whole league his masterplan, then it's not a 'masterplan' at all because it'll be common knowledge!

Mind you, it would be nice for him to come out and say why he's continuing to do something that clearly isn't working.

cant agree with the first part of your post,

he dosen't need to tell us how he is going to play each game.

just give us a clue as to why he makes his selections and why?

Guest taff2727

the sooner our club has an open forum,that will listen to valid fans point of view the better.

not talking about slagging the team off,but christ we see the match from all different angles of the ground.

sam has spent millions on salaries for his back room staff.

might have been cheaper for a few season tickets at strategic levels in the ground,because we can all see where the problems lie :-[

Skim read the thread so sorry if some points repeated (they probably will be), but for me:

- Play with more adventure. Teams like Fulham see Derby, Sunderland etc as matches they have to win to stay up, and so go to those 'relegation 6-pointer' matches looking for a win. Why do NUFC turn up for a draw?

- SA to come out and explain his tactics and aims. There's no use him just saying the fans are wrong and that he will win in spite of us. He needs to talk to us, explain to us his aims, give us a chance to buy into his ideas, giving us a greater chance of uniting behind him and having a joint 'f*** the media' outlook when they have a go at us.

- More emphasis on the technical abilities of our players. Passing and movement at a higher tempo, as opposed to chasing, harrying and pressing being the highest priority.

- Pick the team based on form. If smith plays crap, drop him. If Steve Harper plays well, keep him.

- Acknowledge and admit his own shortcomings. I'm sick of hearing how he is a 'top man in his field'. All the top men in my field (law) have major awards and commendations as recognition of their work. SA has won s**** all!

Like I said in another thread, he isn't giving the fans any reasons to be patient. When Souness came in, we went to pot, but he talked a good game and bought himself some time. Sam needs to either start getting results or, at the very least, learn how to win the fans over or he's fucked, simple as.

win me over, easy.

do something,doesn't have to be 4-4-2 or playing 11 players in their proper positions,not even results as results will come with performances but do anything to make me think he can improve the football club.

I don't know why simply "winning" isn't an adequate answer?  I'm prepared to give him a season or two to prove he can do that, but winning regularly is really the one and only goal.  Nice football is a distant second.

If we are winning consistently, then he does his job well and if he does his job well than he has won us all over.

When we are losing, all this stuff about style, arrogance, his tactics, his techniques, his stupid head set, constant chewing and ridiculously large tie knots seem important.  But when we win, nobody cares.  And if you win a lot, then the flaws become positives (see Jose Mourinho). 

I don't know why simply "winning" isn't an adequate answer? I'm prepared to give him a season or two to prove he can do that, but winning regularly is really the one and only goal.  Nice football is a distant second.

If we are winning consistently, then he does his job well and if he does his job well than he has won us all over.

When we are losing, all this stuff about style, arrogance, his tactics, his techniques, his stupid head set, constant chewing and ridiculously large tie knots seem important.  But when we win, nobody cares.  And if you win a lot, then the flaws become positives (see Jose Mourinho). 

i woudn't have been too concerned at 26points so far if i could see something to make me think there is improvement