Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

I love the fact Faye is finally being played in midfield. He should be an improvement over Geremi. Taylor and Cacapa should be okay at the back too as the Chelsea strikers aren't particularly physical today.

If Milner, Duff and Martins can somehow get the ball played into their feet they could really give Ben Haim and Alex a scare too. Also it looks like Alan Smith will be given the freedom to charge forward from midfield rather than play the holding role so hopefully he will be better at doing this, and should essentially offer Martins support from there as a second striker type.

I'm choosing to be optimistic with this. I'm tired of the negativity. I'll at least wait to see how we perform before getting upset about anything to do with the tactics etc.

I'm really hoping for a big game from Faye in the middle of the park.

I would just like to give myself a pat on the back to make myself feel a bit better about today ... I knew Faye would be a big factor. Please refer to above.

I did see that earlier Kaka well done. :lol:

I love the fact Faye is finally being played in midfield. He should be an improvement over Geremi. Taylor and Cacapa should be okay at the back too as the Chelsea strikers aren't particularly physical today.

If Milner, Duff and Martins can somehow get the ball played into their feet they could really give Ben Haim and Alex a scare too. Also it looks like Alan Smith will be given the freedom to charge forward from midfield rather than play the holding role so hopefully he will be better at doing this, and should essentially offer Martins support from there as a second striker type.

I'm choosing to be optimistic with this. I'm tired of the negativity. I'll at least wait to see how we perform before getting upset about anything to do with the tactics etc.

I'm really hoping for a big game from Faye in the middle of the park.

I would just like to give myself a pat on the back to make myself feel a bit better about today ... I knew Faye would be a big factor. Please refer to above.

:lol: Fuck me.

I'm happy you're happy, Kaka.

Again, it comes back to the question, why play defensive football? I know we didn't for the majority of the second half but for the time that mattered we did, the last 20-15 minutes.

We can't defend, simple as. So why try to defend? As is said time and time again, the best form of defence is attack. If the ball is at the other end of the pitch, the opposition can't score.

Fair enough, it's Allardyce football and he needs time. But don't introduce this defensive football until you've built a defence good enough to. Play to the team's strengths, not the manager's.

There is actually almost no reason on earth to ever play defensive football if you really look at it. Even the fad in the PL has died out now with ManU and Arsenal top. Teams like Reading and Man C go for it...Attack first def when necessary is how I see the game should be played. Play it in their half as much as you can.

This season must be on course for including the most goals for a long time. There's at least an 8 goal thriller every week!

Again, it comes back to the question, why play defensive football? I know we didn't for the majority of the second half but for the time that mattered we did, the last 20-15 minutes.

We can't defend, simple as. So why try to defend? As is said time and time again, the best form of defence is attack. If the ball is at the other end of the pitch, the opposition can't score.

Fair enough, it's Allardyce football and he needs time. But don't introduce this defensive football until you've built a defence good enough to. Play to the team's strengths, not the manager's.

There is actually almost no reason on earth to ever play defensive football if you really look at it. Even the fad in the PL has died out now with ManU and Arsenal top. Teams like Reading and Man C go for it...Attack first def when necessary is how I see the game should be played. Play it in their half as much as you can.

This season must be on course for including the most goals for a long time. There's at least an 8 goal thriller every week!

Never our game though lol.

He didn't go defensive, he brought Roz on because SWP was fucking battering us everytime he got the ball, if anything he should have done something about it earlier because it was a clear weak spot and they were taking advantage of every time.

Yeah i'm thinking about it actually. Rozehnal came on at left-back didn't he, i was thinking he came on in a more central area because he'd replaced Smith, i couldn't really tell at the time. I'd be happy to withdraw slatings for this particular substitutions, it was quite sensible really. :razz:

The Owen/Martins one though was still stupid.

I don't think Rozehnal for Smith was a negative change. It allowed N'Zogbia to push up and moved Duff into the centre and it worked well enough. Owen for Martins wasn't negative either, it just messed things up when we were on top.

...as I said earlier why make a change when you're clearly on top?

Smith was f***** after colliding with Faye and Zog was getting raped at LB

Zoggy didn't bother with LB duties in the second half and became the extra player upfront...SA should have just left it...It's a game where risks are worth taking cause no one expected anything from it.

For me, that is Allardyce's problem, he's too affraid to lose. So much so that he forgets how to win. Against Arsenal, and today against Chelsea, we play with less caution because at the end of the day we weren't expecting anything, but against the likes of Derby, Wigan, Sunderland, etc... Allardyce is too worried with containing the opposition and forgets that a good amount of his players are full internationals who can attack and play good football.  If allardyce loses this fear than he can become a good manager here, but week after week he doesn't, we play a decent side and play well and he then feels vindicated.  When we start playing with endevour against the teams we should be competing with/beating I imagine a lot of the Allardyce haters will back off him, but so far he's failed so miserably.

Villa, Reading and Man C attack whenever they can with midfields that link with the attack and push up, all credit to them. Villa showed no fear when they played Chelsea and we showed what can be done by being a bit positive for that 20 min spell in the second half...In all reality we could have won this game.

It these games show clearly there is no reason at all to lose or play cautiously against anyone nevermind the likes of Derby.

Hardly a suprise the players were up for it, playing a top four team. Like Sam said its playing the lesser teams this mentality is lacking, there is only so much you can drive into players before they have to pull there finger out for themselves.

I thought the substitutes were fine, although I initially thought Roz was going to stay in midfield to replace Smith. It was a wise and ambitious move as N'zogbia was getting ripped to shreds in defence.

The starting line up wasnt unexpected either, we just dont have the talent to out play chelsea or any top four team, especially in midfield, anyone that thinks otherwise is dillusional. Respectfull and ultimately negative tactics were all we can expect.

Like against Arsenal its a performance that gives at hope but still files down to whether the players can be bothered against other teams outside the top four. Allardyce and his team have to instill that in the players but they can only cram the words down their throats so much.

The majority of the team played well today and Faye was a beast, Butt and Smith im still not sure about in midfield and duff is still finding his way back to fitness. Maybe just maybe we can see N'Zogbia back in Midfield again soon.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Well anyway. I'm looking forward to going to see the City game now. Crowd and the team should be up for it, a la Blackburn/Arsenal.

Birmingham ?

Well anyway. I'm looking forward to going to see the City game now. Crowd and the team should be up for it, a la Blackburn/Arsenal.

Birmingham ?

Losing at Blackburn, playing well against Arsenal.

Losing at Chelsea, playing well against Man City.

He didn't go defensive, he brought Roz on because SWP was f****** battering us everytime he got the ball, if anything he should have done something about it earlier because it was a clear weak spot and they were taking advantage of every time.

Yeah i'm thinking about it actually. Rozehnal came on at left-back didn't he, i was thinking he came on in a more central area because he'd replaced Smith, i couldn't really tell at the time. I'd be happy to withdraw slatings for this particular substitutions, it was quite sensible really. :razz:

The Owen/Martins one though was still stupid.

Roz came on at left-back to allow Zoggy to go to left midfield, so it was essnetially a positive move on the whole.

Birmingham ?

Nice logic. :lol:

Guest WalkervilleMag

Birmingham ?

Does playing well against Man City mean that we will put in another s**** performance at Stoke then ?

Birmingham ?

That's the kind of shite I cling to when I go. :lol:

Owen for Martins?, what a completely pointless substitution which cost us the initiative.  Martins was doing ok and certainly didn't seem to have any injury.  So why bring him off for Owen, who everyone knows is completely useless until he's fit.

EDIT: Sure someone posted that Enrique was on the bench, where the fuck is the lad then?  In the Metro eating icecream?

Birmingham ?

That's what happened wasn't it? A good performance at Blackburn with an unlucky result stirred the fans up and we were well up for it against Arsenal. Man City haven't won away from home so we've got every chance of winning.

Why on earth did Allardyce bring on Rozenhal at left back when he had Enrique on the bench?!  Also Owen for Martins?, a completely pointless substitution which cost us the initiative.  Martins was doing ok and certainly didn't seem to have any injury.  So why bring him off for Owen, who everyone knows is completely useless until he's fit.

Enrique wasn't on the bench, probably at home playing PS2.

Birmingham ?

That's the kind of shite I cling to when I go. :lol:

I honestly don't see what's shite about it. :S

Birmingham ?

That's what happened wasn't it? A good performance at Blackburn with an unlucky result stirred the fans up and we were well up for it against Arsenal. Man City haven't won away from home so we've got every chance of winning.

Is that the rule in football then? One in, one out? Give your head a shake. :lol: