N'Zogbia & potential issues

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

One thing that worries me with our Frenchman, being played at left-back he's suddenly become our best player and the answer to a lot of problems in the eyes of many fans, in short the expectations and hype around him are growing and I feel they are somewhat unsubstantiated because while he's a good player, he's nothing more than that at the moment in my opinion. He's actually more of a frustrating player like so many talented and young as he us.

I just fear if he does eventually end up at left-wing and doesn't perform amazingly well in that position every week, people are going to be mighty disappointed and could well start to turn on him if he doesn't fulfill that potential or live up to expectations, some of them false ones or way too high.

In times of woe there will always be a scapegoat, equally in times of woe there will always be an unlikely hero. I think people are looking at N'Zogbia with rose tinted specs on because he's everything the team are not at the moment, skillful, quick and attacking.

I just fear another Parker situtation who was the N'Zogbia (hero) under Souness and the scapegoat under Roeder.

Maybe it's a none issue, but some of the things you read and hear about regarding the player just don't tally with his ability or development at this stage, which again, isn't anything beyond good at this moment.

Lets remember that if we are to see him fulfill his potential as opposed to ruining another fine young talent.

Guest Knightrider

He has impressed me more at left-back then he has at left-wing if I'm being honest, although on the wing is clearly his best position and one he needs to play sooner rather than later if he is to become the player he can be and we are going to get the best out of him.

In terms of development though I actually think he's getting a really good education at the moment and while it may not be the best option for the team, it can only do his game a world of good learning to play dual roles, especially long term.

Guest Knightrider

My main worry is that another club will scoop him away from us.

I'm past worrying about our players leaving for pastures new. He's good but he's not the jewel in our crown or that good he's indispensable. Anyway, I can't see any of the top 4 being interested enough to pay serious money for him.

I also think the fact Zoggy is still being played left-back is giving the Duff haters even more ammunition against him, because everyone automatically assumes Charlie at left-wing will be a lot better than Duff, just have a look at yesterdays match thread for that. Then again he proved last season how much better he was wide left than Damien.... oh wait.

I'm no Duff defender if you will, but the amount of grief he has gotten because managers have picked him over a fans favourite has been nothing short of a joke.

In terms of development though I actually think he's getting a really good education at the moment and while it may not be the best option for the team, it can only do his game a world of good learning to play dual roles, especially long term.

Have to say I don't agree at all.

Charles needs to develop as a out and out Winger, holding him back and sticking him Left Back is not only damaging the team but its damaging the progression of one of the best young attacking players at the club.

Seeing N'Zogbia get pulled to pieces by Shuan Wright-Phillips was not a sight I enjoyed yesterday nor did I think it was doing him good "in terms of development".

My main worry is that another club will scoop him away from us.

I'm past worrying about our players leaving for pastures new. He's good but he's not the jewel in our crown or that good he's indispensable. Anyway, I can't see any of the top 4 being interested enough to pay serious money for him.

While I agree he's not THAT good and not irreplacable, he's one of only 4 players in our entire squad who have even the slightest ability or inclination to go past their man - The others being Milner, Martins and Duff. Considering Martins will not play once Owen is fit and Duff is just back from injury and the jury is still out on him anyway I'd say we desperately need to keep hold of N'Zogbia.

This side has little enough flair as it is and I don't trust Sam at the moment to replace him with someone with similar qualities. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Alan Smith / Geremi type player come in as we got when Dyer and Solano left - 2 other cases where flair and creativity have been replaced by good honest hard work. :(

Guest Knightrider

maybe he is playing zog at left back is just to give him an appreciation of his defensive resonsibilties ready for when he becomes a full time winger

Nah, that would go against all the he doesn't know what he's doing opinions.

Btw he did the same with Gardner and Pedersen at Bolton, played them at full-back before using them on the wings.

In fact he had a habit of using players at full-back, he used Haim there a lot and Nolan was used at right-back a few times IIRC.

Guest Knightrider

Have to say I don't agree at all.

Charles needs to develop as a out and out Winger, holding him back and sticking him Left Back is not only damaging the team but its damaging the progression of one of the best young attacking players at the club.

Seeing N'Zogbia get pulled to pieces by Shuan Wright-Phillips was not a sight I enjoyed yesterday nor did I think it was doing him good "in terms of development".

It's not damaging his progression as an individual at all, it's making him a much more rounded player who in time will hopefully become just that for us, a player able to play dual roles and be comfortable at defending and attacking, the very demands placed on a modern winger.

He has pace, desire and is one of the very few in our colours that can beat a man. If that's overrating him then sorry, but iyam those attributes mean he must play given the current playing staff.

Of course he's not the finished article, but I'm worried what someone like Arsene Wenger could do with him.

He has impressed me more at left-back then he has at left-wing if I'm being honest, although on the wing is clearly his best position and one he needs to play sooner rather than later if he is to become the player he can be and we are going to get the best out of him.

I've said before that I think he looks better as an attacking force playing at left back because he gets more space.  Playing as a winger you rarely receive the ball without the opposing fullback being in your face and often the defending team will double up on you.  You just have to see how many times Milner faces up to two defenders around the box and then lays the ball back to an unmarked N'Zogbia to cross.

I'm not convinced N'Zogbia will look half as threatening when playing in a more advanced position right now but if he works on his passing and ball retention he certainly could be in the future.

I'm not worried about N'Zogbia. I'd definitely like to see him on the wing in the near future, however i feel that playing him at left-back will have helped him as an all-round player.

It'll have taught him some of the defensive responsibilities that a winger needs to adapt to - this was something that Robert never fully understood - and i feel that playing him a bit deeper for a while will have helped him towards becoming a 'complete' winger. It'll also have given him a greater desire to get forward and impress once he is nudged up to his preferred position. You could tell yesterday that he gave up on being a defender, he just didn't play at left-back, and i bet he did that on his own accord. What is most pleasing is that Sam could see this and could understand.

Obviously, he's far from being 'complete' at the moment, but having him at left-back for this shortish time will have helped, imo.

Very much looking forward to him going back into midfield now, though. I have a sneaky feeling we'll see a 4-4-2 with Charlie on the wing against City...

I'm not worried about N'Zogbia. I'd definitely like to see him on the wing in the near future, however i feel that playing him at left-back will have helped him as an all-round player.

It'll have taught him some of the defensive responsibilities that a winger needs to adapt to - this was something that Robert never fully understood - and i feel that playing him a bit deeper for a while will have helped him towards becoming a 'complete' winger. It'll also have given him a greater desire to get forward and impress once he is nudged up to his preferred position. You could tell yesterday that he gave up on being a defender, he just didn't play at left-back, and i bet he did that on his own accord. What is most pleasing is that Sam could see this and could understand.

Obviously, he's far from being 'complete' at the moment, but having him at left-back for this shortish time will have helped, imo.

Very much looking forward to him going back into midfield now, though. I have a sneaky feeling we'll see a 4-4-2 with Charlie on the wing against City...

Personally I couldn't care if Charlie never understood his defensive responsibilities if he gave us anywhere near as much as what Robert did with regards to productivity in the final third.

Personally I couldn't care if Charlie never understood his defensive responsibilities if he gave us anywhere near as much as what Robert did with regards to productivity in the final third.

I'd certainly agree with you.

I'm just trying to work out Allardyce's thinking.

Is this the same Robert that was slated at every opportunity by a huge section of the fans?