Billy Furious

Guest Texasmag

Guest Texasmag

Sorry if this has already been posted. Delete if necessary.

Why the Toon Army will never love Big Sam Allardyce

Newcastle fans are loyal to their black and white heroes but they have no faith in the negative and fear-filled tactics of the managerBilly Furious

THERE was an instinctive distrust of Sam Allardyce from the start. Amid the 100mph shouting that passes for conversation in the northeast, very few Newcastle fans I know thought he was right for the job. We saw Bolton Wanderers playing ugly, functional, soulless non-football under Big Sam and didn’t want any part of it. Of all the teams Newcastle United had crossed swords with in recent seasons, at home and across Europe, why would Bolton be the side we would want to aspire to?

People talk about Newcastle fans being self-deluded, but only five years ago the team finished ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool and qualified for the later stages of the Champions League. Even though it’s all been downhill since, few teams in the world can match Newcastle for crowd size, transfer budget and wages. Not expecting the best available manager shows up a lack of self-esteem rather than delusions of grandeur.

Newcastle had been suffering a four-year injury crisis when they parted company with Glenn Roeder. By all accounts, Allardyce convinced former chairman Freddie Shepherd that he could solve this problem and many others with maths and sports science. Despite knowing in their souls that football is a chaotic art form the fans went along with the new regime. Partly because they had no choice and partly because we were sick of being patronised by being told we want to be everybody’s second favourite team - why not be hated and win games?

We turned to the dark side and it was very alluring because The Dark Lord Sam talks a good game: he speaks of his “success at Bolton” so often that people begin saying it back to him. Only later do you think: “What success would that be then? Oh, you mean ‘relative success’. Not the same thing, is it?”

We are not now unhappy because we didn’t win the Champions League in the first month under Allardyce – contrary to ill-informed opinion we rarely expect silverware. A friend worked out that 27 of our past 30 seasons have been “transitional” yet still we are maliciously accused of impatience. Europe would be nice but I think we just hoped to score some goals, win some games, have a laugh.

Laugh? Some chance. It has been a dismal, tedious and frustrating season. A benign fixture list and a lot of late and fortunate goals have masked the problems. Sam, though, will brook no criticism. It’s been like watching a man trying to build a house from live eels. “Are you sure this is the best way to build a house?” we tentatively ask. “I know what I’m doing,” barks the man as the eels all slither away again.

Negative tactics, bewildering selections, baffling substitutions and the unshakable belief that the way to face the likes of Fulham, Derby and Wigan is to stop them playing. Even the most patient were livid that Allardyce went to Sunderland looking for, and lucky to get, a draw. Then he had the nerve to be pleased when it was little more than cowardice in the face of the enemy.

A week after the Sunderland game we played Liverpool at home. Newcastle were fortunate to lose only 3-0. We had one shot on target. Never in 30 years have I seen the Newcastle crowd turn like that. It was savage, spontaneous and brutally aimed at one man. The players were, for the most part, let off. Slightly shocked and ashamed of ourselves, the next games were marked by unwavering support. We hoped an understanding had been reached. We were wrong.

Newcastle’s away support is a different entity from that at home – they are indomitably loyal and will happily take a scruffy 1-0 win at Fulham. But last week even the away support turned on Allardyce in an insipid display against Wigan.

The dissatisfaction stems from the belief that Newcastle actually have the players to give anybody a game when they are allowed to. However, Martins, N’Zogbia, Milner, Smith, Viduka and Emre are being wasted. Allardyce’s tactics stink of fear.

Travelling to Chelsea with a £48 ticket in your pocket, you couldn’t be pleased to read your manager saying: “Our focus has to be on the winnable games rather than putting all our focus on having to get a performance against the big boys.”

Allardyce has said: “A manager should be judged after 38 games,” and I think the silent majority could tolerate the discomfort of being in a dysfunctional relationship until then. But the situation has gained its own momentum and the sentimental types are screaming for Alan Shearer – no experience, no scouting network. Newcastle have to change managers so often because, quite simply, they rarely pick the right bugger in the first place. Billy Furious is author of And They Wonder Why We Drink? available from www.billyfurious.co.uk and bookshops

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3108481.ece

Newcastle fans are loyal to their black and white heroes but they have no faith in the negative and fear-filled tactics of the managerBilly Furious

THERE was an instinctive distrust of Sam Allardyce from the start. Amid the 100mph shouting that passes for conversation in the northeast, very few Newcastle fans I know thought he was right for the job. We saw Bolton Wanderers playing ugly, functional, soulless non-football under Big Sam and didn’t want any part of it. Of all the teams Newcastle United had crossed swords with in recent seasons, at home and across Europe, why would Bolton be the side we would want to aspire to?

People talk about Newcastle fans being self-deluded, but only five years ago the team finished ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool and qualified for the later stages of the Champions League. Even though it’s all been downhill since, few teams in the world can match Newcastle for crowd size, transfer budget and wages. Not expecting the best available manager shows up a lack of self-esteem rather than delusions of grandeur.

Newcastle had been suffering a four-year injury crisis when they parted company with Glenn Roeder. By all accounts, Allardyce convinced former chairman Freddie Shepherd that he could solve this problem and many others with maths and sports science. Despite knowing in their souls that football is a chaotic art form the fans went along with the new regime. Partly because they had no choice and partly because we were sick of being patronised by being told we want to be everybody’s second favourite team - why not be hated and win games?

We turned to the dark side and it was very alluring because The Dark Lord Sam talks a good game: he speaks of his “success at Bolton” so often that people begin saying it back to him. Only later do you think: “What success would that be then? Oh, you mean ‘relative success’. Not the same thing, is it?”

We are not now unhappy because we didn’t win the Champions League in the first month under Allardyce – contrary to ill-informed opinion we rarely expect silverware. A friend worked out that 27 of our past 30 seasons have been “transitional” yet still we are maliciously accused of impatience. Europe would be nice but I think we just hoped to score some goals, win some games, have a laugh.

Laugh? Some chance. It has been a dismal, tedious and frustrating season. A benign fixture list and a lot of late and fortunate goals have masked the problems. Sam, though, will brook no criticism. It’s been like watching a man trying to build a house from live eels. “Are you sure this is the best way to build a house?” we tentatively ask. “I know what I’m doing,” barks the man as the eels all slither away again.

Negative tactics, bewildering selections, baffling substitutions and the unshakable belief that the way to face the likes of Fulham, Derby and Wigan is to stop them playing. Even the most patient were livid that Allardyce went to Sunderland looking for, and lucky to get, a draw. Then he had the nerve to be pleased when it was little more than cowardice in the face of the enemy.

A week after the Sunderland game we played Liverpool at home. Newcastle were fortunate to lose only 3-0. We had one shot on target. Never in 30 years have I seen the Newcastle crowd turn like that. It was savage, spontaneous and brutally aimed at one man. The players were, for the most part, let off. Slightly shocked and ashamed of ourselves, the next games were marked by unwavering support. We hoped an understanding had been reached. We were wrong.

Newcastle’s away support is a different entity from that at home – they are indomitably loyal and will happily take a scruffy 1-0 win at Fulham. But last week even the away support turned on Allardyce in an insipid display against Wigan.

The dissatisfaction stems from the belief that Newcastle actually have the players to give anybody a game when they are allowed to. However, Martins, N’Zogbia, Milner, Smith, Viduka and Emre are being wasted. Allardyce’s tactics stink of fear.

Travelling to Chelsea with a £48 ticket in your pocket, you couldn’t be pleased to read your manager saying: “Our focus has to be on the winnable games rather than putting all our focus on having to get a performance against the big boys.”

Allardyce has said: “A manager should be judged after 38 games,” and I think the silent majority could tolerate the discomfort of being in a dysfunctional relationship until then. But the situation has gained its own momentum and the sentimental types are screaming for Alan Shearer – no experience, no scouting network. Newcastle have to change managers so often because, quite simply, they rarely pick the right bugger in the first place. Billy Furious is author of And They Wonder Why We Drink? available from www.billyfurious.co.uk and bookshops

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3108481.ece

I completely disagree with that.

At the time, myself and many included all agreed he was the perfect man for the job, especially the way things had been turning out.

He was the right man with his off the field approach to fitness and everything else to try and sort that mess out, to build contacts with his scouting network.

Now I don't want to get into a debate about the boards etc but according to most the budget was going to be tight and he seemed the perfect man to slowly progress ourselves back up the table. Maybe since the appointment of a new board, the fans ambitions appeared to have changed, but that's not saying at the time Allardyce under the circumstances was not the right man for the job.

At the time, myself and many included all agreed he was the perfect man for the job, especially the way things had been turning out.

He was the right man with his off the field approach to fitness and everything else to try and sort that mess out, to build contacts with his scouting network.

Now I don't want to get into a debate about the boards etc but according to most the budget was going to be tight and he seemed the perfect man to slowly progress ourselves back up the table. Maybe since the appointment of a new board, the fans ambitions appeared to have changed, but that's not saying at the time Allardyce under the circumstances was not the right man for the job.

I actually agree. Being one of them myself. Personally think it would have been around 50/50

I disagree that most NUFC fans 'wanted' Sam. I am certain that most that I talked to wanted a non-Brit manager after being dragged through Roeder and Souness. Most people, myself included, agreed that Sam's injury management & staff were a bonus, but I think it was more of a case of 'could work if he gets the results' attitude.

Fact is he isn't getting the results and there are many ways to get a good fitness team apart from hiring Sam.

I've looked at what Sam has to offer and I agree with the article. Wrong bloke. I still think we need a non-British manager (simply because the good ones are taken and won't come here.) Not terribly adverse to letting him see the season out though can't really hurt.

BF, the man who wanted Sir Bobby out that season we finished 5th...

Another talking heed.

Go on coach, try attacking the argument instead of the man (even if most of the people on here mightn't give you the same courtesy)

Guest Knightrider

Another talking heed.

Bit like yourself then  O0

He's actually one of the better writers there are, and a canny bloke as well.

He is and I don't doubt he's a canny bloke but it's kind of hard to agree with someone when you know they're coming at something with an agenda, i.e. something to sell and a personal dislike of the manager that stems back years. Not saying he's not entitled to have his say or that he's wrong in what he says as he obviously speaks for a large number who share his views, but I prefer to see balanced and unbiased views, especially from fellow Mags in the national media. All he's doing is adding to the hyperbole in my opinion.

Guest Knightrider

Another talking heed.

Go on coach, try attacking the argument instead of the man (even if most of the people on here mightn't give you the same courtesy)

You put yourself in the public domain...

Another talking heed.

He is and I don't doubt he's a canny bloke but it's kind of hard to agree with someone when you know they're coming at something with an agenda, i.e. something to sell and a personal dislike of the manager that stems back years. Not saying he's not entitled to have his say or that he's wrong in what he says as he obviously speaks for a large number who share his views, but I prefer to see balanced and unbiased views, especially from fellow Mags in the national media. All he's doing is adding to the hyperbole in my opinion.

Being unbiased is impossible though, don't you agree?

Its a fairly balanced article IMO.

Guest Knightrider

Another talking heed.

As far as I'm concerned he's using Newcastle United's woes to peddle his new book. I.e. jumping on the bandwagon.

Calls himself a fan...

Another talking heed.

As far as I'm concerned he's using Newcastle United's woes to peddle his new book. I.e. jumping on the bandwagon.

Calls himself a fan...

O0

Makes some excellent points in an entertaining style, backed up by his experience of years of being a genuine, loyal fan.  Can actually be bothered to read his long articles. His pieces are clearly op-ed, which is something people seem to be missing the point of if they're making the redundant whine of it being slanted or opinionated. 

Trying to be "fair and balanced" and "impartial" is what makes some people's articles read like they were written as English homework...

Another talking heed.

What fan of Newcastle, including you, can write with a balanced and inbiased view of a subject close to their heart? We are shaped by our beliefs and coloured by our opinions. It will be inherent in anything you write however much you care to believe otherwise. Only if you know you can withdraw to a mighty distance and view things in a detatched fashion can you argue otherwise.

Guest ObaStar

jesus christ I really wish people would stop bitching and whining, it has been half a season since he took over. He has always said he needed around 3 years to turn this around. Look at our team last year we had no defense, absolutely none. two years ago our stike force was shearer, chopra and ameobi. We have come a long way just relax and give it another year. Have faith and show some loyalty.

jesus christ I really wish people would stop bitching and whining, it has been half a season since he took over. He has always said he needed around 3 years to turn this around. Look at our team last year we had no defense, absolutely none. two years ago our stike force was shearer, chopra and ameobi. We have come a long way just relax and give it another year. Have faith and show some loyalty.

We were a lot better defensively last season than we have been this season. I agree with what your saying in general though.

I'm sick of hearing this.  If a manager can't learn from the obvious after seven months then he's either slower then forest gump on a bad day or he just doesn't want to learn.  Do you seriously think it should take him seven months to realise that playing to your oppositions strengths and against your own is a a terrible idea?  Its basic stuff, it shouldn't take one month to learn never mind seven months, or god forbid three years.

P.S. I have no loyalty to Sam Allardyce until he earns my loyalty, I'm loyal to the club, not the manager.

I'm sick of hearing this.  If a manager can't learn from the obvious after seven months then he's either slower then forest gump on a bad day or he just doesn't want to learn.  Do you seriously think it should take him seven months to realise that playing to your oppositions strengths and against your own is a a terrible idea?  Its basic stuff, it shouldn't take one month to learn never mind seven months, or god forbid three years.

P.S. I have no loyalty to Sam Allardyce until he earns my loyalty, I'm loyal to the club, not the manager.

He's given himself 5 years who are we to argue?

I like Billy Furious, bought both of his books but he is wrong when he says that the toon army will never love Allardyce. It was just over 6 months ago the gospel according to St James said that ANY manager that won us a trophy NO MATTER HOW, would be loved. BF already hated Allardyce before he came to us, if you read his second book its pretty obvious to see that. Easy to write that article now, when it is clear we arent winning any trophys this season. Apart from this point, the lad writes a lot of sense and it was very refreshing seeing a national paper eliciting the views of a fan instead of them tellling us what we think (see The Times article after the wigan game for the classic example of this annoying journalistic trait)

Another thing about that article, he assumes that the same fans who sang their heart out for Sam at Blackburn and Fulham were the same ones shouting 'Shearer Shearer' at Wigan. I'm not sure thats true, i think there are a lot of lads pick and choose away day piss-ups and the boxing day match may have had some of the older lads not often seen away as much.

Just a theory, as i cant understand how they go to Blackburn on the back of weeks of utter dross and support the team but choose to get on the managers back after a run of 4 games without defeat. It seems too inconsistent. If it is the same fans, then i presume the away fans are now broken and they wont be backing him again all season, which i doubt will happen.

Completely agree Johnny. People at the time wanted Allardyce, I was one too, for exactly the same reasons as you say. If he turns out to be wrong, then so be it, unfortunate but thats the way it goes. We got it wrong.

One thing this proves conclusively though, is that if Sam puts in place this improved scouting network, fitness techniques etc etc, and is still sacked, it proves that when it comes to the crunch, its the first team results that decide everything.