Lack of transfer rumours = no funds for Sam?

TRon

Very quiet on the January window ATM. My gut instinct is very few funds will be made available as Sam has not done well with the current squad for whatever reason. The only player I've seen linked so far is another slowish forward-cum-midfielder in Godjohnsen.

Unless an amazing veil of secrecy has descended upon St James I would say Mort & co have adopted a 'give him to the end of the season then back him or sack him' approach.

I would be amazed to see big signings in Jan. Fair enough really, this campaign has already gone nowhere.

Guest Stephen927

It's the second of January.

We're probably finished with the January window now unless a bargain crops up. We've signed that lad from Le Havre, Ben Tozer may sign soon, and the deal for Cho Jae Jin is still on last I heard.

If we're sensible, we won't go around splashing money in January and just consolidate our position until the summer unless a few bargains crop up, which is unlikely as most teams want to keep their good players until the end of the season at least.

Unless an amazing veil of secrecy has descended upon St James I would say Mort & co have adopted a 'give him to the end of the season then back him or sack him' approach.

I would be amazed to see big signings in Jan. Fair enough really, this campaign has already gone nowhere.

I agree, for once I can't really feel justified in urging the board to spend invest heavily in the squad. Best to hold fire till the summer and see if things get any better first.

Guest Stephen927

Also, it's important to remember that just because the papers don't report any transfer rumours, that doesn't mean to say things aren't going on behind the scenes.

The only player I've seen linked so far is another slowish forward-cum-midfielder in Godjohnsen.

Christ you've done a good job of making a quality player like Gudjohnson sound crap.  Good work.

Woodgate, where we got a good deal cos Leeds were doomed and he wanted out.

If we only sign youngsters this window, i'll be satisfied. I'd rather that than blowing extorionate prices on players that aren't worth it, simply due to the inflation that comes with the modern day market, on top of inflation that comes from the mid-season window.

But if a good deal comes along, take it. They'll be few and far between though i reckons. £3m for Wes Brown for example; what's the point?

We spend so much time slagging off the media for printing complete shit and spin and now because it's not there it means something? :lol:

you're focusing too much on the media rumour side of it. Look at the bigger picture, do you think there's much likelihood that funds will be made available to get the quality players that Allardyce wants? That's the crux of the question, not the bit you are highlighting.

The only player I've seen linked so far is another slowish forward-cum-midfielder in Godjohnsen.

Christ you've done a good job of making a quality player like Gudjohnson sound crap.  Good work.

I made a good quality player sound slow, that's all. We don't need any more slow players, quality or not, but that's just my opinion.

Why make it the thread title then? And if there were rumours would you make this thread at all?

I've no idea if we'll spend, depends who's available and Mort's intentions.

I plan to reflect in about a month's time.

Trying to read to much into the press, bad choice.

I'm not bothered if we buy no players in january.

Sam needs more time and hopefully he'll get a full backing in the summer transfer window and a season after that before we judge him.

It's the only way to success.

I've no idea if we'll spend, depends who's available and Mort's intentions.

Exactly Dave; these two reasons bounce off each other. If there's little available for reasonable prices, it's up to Mort whether or not he wants to expand the budget and over-pay. If he doesn't then we'll have to make do until the summer.

I'm fairly confident that Mort would want Sam to invest in the team. It's always a different kettle of fish in January, though.

:lol: A tad bit early to be thinking this aint it ? 2 days in so no shock really that there has been no signings, or is this more to do with the story of a few month back? the  "win with what you have got"  story..

No press coverage means nothing, but perhaps Sam himself doesn't want to sign many players, after all, it is difficult to persuade good players to move at this time of year, and there is a lot of good competition for good players who are available.

Last January by the way, Allardyce signed three players, two obscure players that never play were signed on the 26th January, and david Thompson was signed on the 31st.

Why make it the thread title then? And if there were rumours would you make this thread at all?

Why not? If there is even a chance there will be transfer activity, usually there's speculation in most of the press, tabloid, and broadsheet in fact. I've seen stupider logic in thread titles.