Lack of transfer rumours = no funds for Sam?

TRon

So are you going off what the media is saying or not? Make your mind up.

Ok let me spell it out:

* I was leaning towards the view that Mort probably wouldn't release substantial funds for Allardyce on the basis he's had pretty mediocre results so far.

* The lack of press speculation suggests (although by no means is legally bound!) points to the same direction.

Now if you'd like me to change the thread title I will, and in future I'll consult a solicitor before opening a new one if you'd prefer.

The thread title does apply some daft logic, if you believe that the majority of press rumours are made up or come from agents with agendas, which I do.

Wouldn't read too much into t, Tronster.

Ok let me spell it out:

* I was leaning towards the view that Mort probably wouldn't release substantial funds for Allardyce on the basis he's had pretty mediocre results so far.

* The lack of press speculation suggests (although by no means is legally bound!) points to the same direction.

Now if you'd like me to change the thread title I will, and in future I'll consult a solicitor before opening a new one if you'd prefer.

:lol:

No probs mate, I just wouldn't read a single thing into what the press are reporting (or not). The title infers you do to some degree. In fact I'm hoping it's because we're a tighter run ship on the story leakage front these days.

You might be right about Mort. I reckon we'll see younger players and maybe a loan or two, so that if Allardyce is peddled at the end of the year it's not so much of an upheaval.

Ok let me spell it out:

:lol:

No probs mate, I just wouldn't read a single thing into what the press are reporting (or not). The title infers you do to some degree. In fact I'm hoping it's because we're a tighter run ship on the story leakage front these days.

You might be right about Mort. I reckon we'll see younger players and maybe a loan or two, so that if Allardyce is peddled at the end of the year it's not so much of an upheaval.

Well, press speculation is often just a shot in the dark, but usually if there's cash available, the focus will be on which team needs certain types of players. e.g. We need an Anelka because none of our current forwards are capable of playing in Sam's 4-3-3 formation, but there has been no mention of us even trying to compete for his signature this time.

It might be that we are running a tighter ship regards leaks, but the press don't really need leaks as they are quite capable of putting two and two together themselves even if it makes 5 sometimes. I think the feeling is that Allardyce isn't going to get much money so speculation is a waste of time.

Speculation sells papers, especially when we're involved.

As someone else said, I'd put the lack of transfer speculation purely down to the fact that the 'Newcastle crisis' and 'Sam out!' stories are much more headline-worthy right now.

Speculation sells papers, especially when we're involved.

As someone else said, I'd put the lack of transfer speculation purely down to the fact that the 'Newcastle crisis' and 'Sam out!' stories are much more headline-worthy right now.

True, which also makes any rumours even more unbelievable than usual, they might as well speculate on SA's position and job security, and as the days pass by, and more points are lost, they can then speculate he's been given no cash because they are saving it for the next manager...Shearer...etc...

Guest GodOfRods

Trying to read to much into the press, bad choice.

I'm not bothered if we buy no players in january.

Sam needs more time and hopefully he'll get a full backing in the summer transfer window and a season after that before we judge him.

It's the only way to success.

Sorry but I can only judge him on what I'm seeing on the pitch now and it's not good at all. Eriksson's turned a mediocre Man City team into quite a formidable team in the same time as Allardyce has had with us. Ramos has turned a failing Spurs team around in less time than Allardyce has had with us. I'm not saying that we should sack him this minute, but the football we've played thus far does not fill me with any optimism that things will drastically improve. Going to the SOS looking for a draw? FFS!!  :idiot2: Playing 5-4-1 away to second bottom Wigan?  :knuppel2: Crap negative tactics against teams we should be looking to overpower. He spends more time worrying about the other side's stats rather than coming up with a plan on how to beat them. I think the writing is on the wall for Allardyce if he continues in this vein. :frantic:

Guest Brazilianbob

Sam needs more time and hopefully he'll get a full backing in the summer transfer window and a season after that before we judge him.

Sorry but I can only judge him on what I'm seeing on the pitch now and it's not good at all. Eriksson's turned a mediocre Man City team into quite a formidable team in the same time as Allardyce has had with us. Ramos has turned a failing Spurs team around in less time than Allardyce has had with us. I'm not saying that we should sack him this minute, but the football we've played thus far does not fill me with any optimism that things will drastically improve. Going to the SOS looking for a draw? FFS!!  :idiot2: Playing 5-4-1 away to second bottom Wigan?  :knuppel2: Crap negative tactics against teams we should be looking to overpower. He spends more time worrying about the other side's stats rather than coming up with a plan on how to beat them. I think the writing is on the wall for Allardyce if he continues in this vein. :frantic:

My sentiments exactly and I suspect many others feel the same way.

Guest GodOfRods

I'm guessing you didn't see the game last night.

Villa and Spurs? No.

I'm not saying that Spurs are world beaters by any stretch, but they seem to be picking up more points than us and are breathing down our necks now. The point I'm making is, surely after seven months in charge we should be seeing some kind of changes on the pitch. Yet there seems to be none and we're playing just as bad (some might argue worse) than we were under messrs Souness & Roeder.

My sentiments exactly and I suspect many others feel the same way.

I don't see how you can compare us with Spurs and Man City. Spurs finished way above us last term and spent much money than us in the summer. With regards to Man City I'm sure they only finished a point behind us last year and also spent a lot more cash than us in the summer. I'm not saying that Sam should not shoulder some of the blame for what has happened this season but personally the lack of investment and the players should be blamed more for our current situation. I understand that Ashley had to clear off the debts but until there is a lot of money pumped into the squad then I can't see us doing much.

In many respects I see similarities now to when Robson first came to Newcastle and did not have much to spend. With money tight you have to take more chances on players which Robson did with people like Bassedas, Gavilan, Cort and O'Brien.

Sportinglife.com:

MORT EXPECTS ARRIVALS

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has hinted that the club will not spend heavily this month as they attempt to stabilise after a disappointing first half of the campaign.

Mort, who earlier this week insisted he and owner Mike Ashley are not lining up potential replacements for manager Sam Allardyce, confirmed there will be new additions to the squad - but suggested any large scale rebuilding work will be done during the summer.

Reflecting on a tough first few months for Allardyce and his players in his programme notes ahead of Wednesday night's Premier League clash with Manchester City, the chairman said: "One of the first tasks last summer was to strengthen the first-team squad.

"With the signings of Joey Barton, Habib Beye, Claudio Cacapa, Jose Enrique, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi, David Rozehnal, Alan Smith and Mark Viduka, I am convinced we started the season with a much stronger squad of players than that with which we ended last season.

"The returns of Damien Duff, Shay Given and Michael Owen from long-term injuries, as a result of the hard work of the backroom staff and the players themselves, have also been very important to us.

"With these players added to some high-quality players already at the club, I think we all expected the team to be doing better on the pitch than it has been.

"While we have had some great results, such as the victories over Everton, Spurs and Bolton and the match against Arsenal, we have had too many disappointing results, such as the Derby games and the Boxing Day Wigan match.

"With the strength we have in the squad, I am hopeful that the team will soon settle into a winning run that will push us back up the table to where we should be.

"I would expect us to make a couple of further additions to the squad in January, but like any other club, we would prefer to add players in the summer transfer window than in January so that players have a chance to settle into the team.

"And January is always a more difficult time to extract high-quality players from their current clubs."

Ashley has invested a net figure of around £10million in players to date, but has ploughed £75million into addressing the club's debt burden.

Allardyce will have limited cash with which to attract new signings this month as he prepares for the loss of Faye, Beye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins on African Nations Cup duty.

Sportinglife.com:

MORT EXPECTS ARRIVALS

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has hinted that the club will not spend heavily this month as they attempt to stabilise after a disappointing first half of the campaign.

Mort, who earlier this week insisted he and owner Mike Ashley are not lining up potential replacements for manager Sam Allardyce, confirmed there will be new additions to the squad - but suggested any large scale rebuilding work will be done during the summer.

Reflecting on a tough first few months for Allardyce and his players in his programme notes ahead of Wednesday night's Premier League clash with Manchester City, the chairman said: "One of the first tasks last summer was to strengthen the first-team squad.

"With the signings of Joey Barton, Habib Beye, Claudio Cacapa, Jose Enrique, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi, David Rozehnal, Alan Smith and Mark Viduka, I am convinced we started the season with a much stronger squad of players than that with which we ended last season.

"The returns of Damien Duff, Shay Given and Michael Owen from long-term injuries, as a result of the hard work of the backroom staff and the players themselves, have also been very important to us.

"With these players added to some high-quality players already at the club, I think we all expected the team to be doing better on the pitch than it has been.

"While we have had some great results, such as the victories over Everton, Spurs and Bolton and the match against Arsenal, we have had too many disappointing results, such as the Derby games and the Boxing Day Wigan match.

"With the strength we have in the squad, I am hopeful that the team will soon settle into a winning run that will push us back up the table to where we should be.

"I would expect us to make a couple of further additions to the squad in January, but like any other club, we would prefer to add players in the summer transfer window than in January so that players have a chance to settle into the team.

"And January is always a more difficult time to extract high-quality players from their current clubs."

Ashley has invested a net figure of around £10million in players to date, but has ploughed £75million into addressing the club's debt burden.

Allardyce will have limited cash with which to attract new signings this month as he prepares for the loss of Faye, Beye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins on African Nations Cup duty.

Just in case anyone overlooks it.

He's spot on about everything else too btw.

Guest thenorthumbrian

If Allardyce does sign someone I hope he learns from the mistakes he's made to date, because he has failed to make a decent one so far.

acording to tonights setanta sports news mort has said we will be active in ther january window and he expects to sstregthen the squad by a couple......dont know if that includes tozer.

apols if already posted