Martins

Guest K9

I say rightly so because 90% of the time Jonas gets the ball he keeps it and creates something positive. This after everything that's gone on recently it would have been very easy to hide like some have. He also has the defensive side of his game up to scratch. That sort of player should be held in higher regard, not someone who makes the oppositions defence defend deeper and who 'might' score a beauty next game despite not for a couple of years.

Someone compared him unfavourably to David Kelly for similar reasons. Kelly's teamwork and link play was very good, but if you stuck two David Kelly's together you wouldn't get goals, they'd be marked pretty comfortably by half decent defenders.

While I do accept that Martins doesn't always pick the best option, he does threaten the defences with his speed, shooting and ability to go past people. He can sometimes thread the odd corking pass as well.

Guest rebel_yell12

Good post.

ruined by the last line tbh. Dont see any striker at the club as effective as Martins tbf

I believe that Owen & Viduka are more natural finishers, not necessarily more effective just technically better.

I think Martins is the one who knows where the goal is the best when on the pitch, like his turn and shot against the mackems.

The one that missed by a mile would that be?

Oh you mean the one that missed by 4 yards, yeah a real mile that one, do you know how hard that is to do? Turn 180 degrees without looking at the goal get power into it and get it close never mind in, can you honestly see Owen do that or Viduka? i can't, last person i saw do that was Henry against Man U.

Saw Owen do it v. Israel September last.  Granted, was in an England kit at the time, but he never had to look up, just turned and put in an amazing goal.  Or that one in 2004 v. Portugal (in which he did what one of my girl friends called a 'pretty fair pirouette').  Can't think of one he's done in a Newcastle kit off the top of my head, but I can honestly I have seen Owen do that.  And actually score on the effort.  Over the years, I've seen Owen put in some real crackers that would put even Oba's best goals to shame, tbh. 

But then, as I've said before, I think comparing Martins and Owen is unfair to Oba.  He's good player, and comparing him to one of the Premiership's best and most consistent strikers just isn't fair.  Judge him as he is, not in comparison to Michael Owen (or anyone else).  Obafemi Martins is never going to be Michael Owen, just like Michael Owen is never going to be Alan Shearer or Mark Viduka or anyone other than Michael Owen.  Doesn't mean he isn't valuable to the squad.

I think both Oba and Owen are very good players, and definetly very important too our team. In Owen we've got the "goal-machine", with Owen on the pitch you will get goals if the team can produce the chances, Owen is a good passer as well, but he's sadly lost his extreme pace. In Oba we've got a player who can do the unexpected things, go past two or three players then score. He might miss a few chances and can be frustrating at times, but he's so valuable because his pace scares the shit out the opposing defence. Even tough Martins doesn't score as much as Owen, I think his goal ratio is good. Maybe unfair too compare them, but the fact is that they are'nt very similar players. And I would love too see them together up front!

What we lack is a creative striker who can operate in between a front man and the midfield. Someone in the style of Beardsley, Bellamy, or - going back a bit - Gavin Peacock. We've got target men (Viduka, Shola, Carroll) and finishers (Owen, Martins) but I think for the best combination you're looking at a front man plus someone who likes to play a bit deeper.

For example the absurd cross he hit the other night, yes it was terrible, but you still had to appreciate the burst of energy and pace he used to get into that position in the first place. Also, after he mishit the ball, he looked devastated.

Lua-Lua got hammered for that, and Usain Bolt could have shown a great burst of pace, hit a crap cross and then looked disappointed with it. Not sure what your point is there.

For example the absurd cross he hit the other night, yes it was terrible, but you still had to appreciate the burst of energy and pace he used to get into that position in the first place. Also, after he mishit the ball, he looked devastated.

Can we bring Franz Carr back if that's the case please? Then again you probably won't even know who he is.

Can we bring Franz Carr back if that's the case please? Then again you probably won't even know who he is.

Haha, the legendary Franz Carr. :lol:

What we lack is a creative striker who can operate in between a front man and the midfield. Someone in the style of Beardsley, Bellamy, or - going back a bit - Gavin Peacock. We've got target men (Viduka, Shola, Carroll) and finishers (Owen, Martins) but I think for the best combination you're looking at a front man plus someone who likes to play a bit deeper.

Did you not reckon much to the Owen of last season, Bob? Ie - playing off two strikers. I thought he linked the forward line to the rest of the team very, very well. Played some corking key passes aswell at times, i'd never realised he actually had that sort of passing ability.

Oh the 4-3-3. What KK could have done with it this season. :(

Martins played on the wing under Allardyce in fairness. You could tell when he was through the middle that he was starting to improve as a centre-forward.

But on the whole, aye, he was shite tbh. Owen was garbage as an out-and-out centre-forward, too.

Did you not reckon much to the Owen of last season, Bob? Ie - playing off two strikers. I thought he linked the forward line to the rest of the team very, very well. Played some corking key passes aswell at times, i'd never realised he actually had that sort of passing ability.

I don't think he would have gone with 4-3-3 from the way he had the team set up through pre season until he left, it would have been better if he had stuck with it though.

Owen was neat & tidy but i'd hardly say he was creative. his biggest strength in that role was timing and positioning, being able to ghost into the box later on in the build up to finish off chances. i actually think Viduka fits bobyule's description somewhat, but for his awful movement (and the fact he's finished) he'd be what we need. in terms of a 4-4-2 i still think Martins - Viduka is the best partnership at the club.

Owen was neat & tidy but i'd hardly say he was creative. his biggest strength in that role was timing and positioning, being able to ghost into the box later on in the build up to finish off chances. i actually think Viduka fits bobyule's description somewhat, but for his awful movement (and the fact he's finished) he'd be what we need. in terms of a 4-4-2 i still think Martins - Viduka is the best partnership at the club.

I think people vastly go over-the-top when people say Owen's lost his pace. He's still quick. I'd take whatever pace he has left and his brain, rather than Martins' pace and his inconsistency.

Guest Heneage

Haha, the legendary Franz Carr. :lol:

Before my years but have heard and seen highlights of the legend.  :lol:

owen's strength was very rarely losing possession of the ball and then after laying it off his movement into a threatening position. simple pass and move stuff which is the basis of all the better teams.

I'd agree with that. Owen brought his ability as a finisher and as a reader of the game to that position, but he has never been a good passer of the ball.

You may well be right about Viduka and Martins, but personally I've written Viduka off. I suspect he's not that bothered himself whether he plays for the club again.

Does anyone think when Owen returns he should replace Martins in the side then? If Martins is so bad surely it would make more sense to play Owen alongside Shola or Xisco?

I tend to think  the defence & midfield that played the other night is our best (which is average or below average by Premiership standards) it is in only attack where am I left wondering what is the best mix is. I don't count Xisco atm, I think it is fair to say Owen will start for the games he is fit, so it Shola V Oba for other spot. I can see JFK going with Shola :cheesy:

Does anyone think when Owen returns he should replace Martins in the side then? If Martins is so bad surely it would make more sense to play Owen alongside Shola or Xisco?

I actually that's a tricky decision in most circumstances, but Martins has been so poor in the last two games. I'd start Martins against Villa, then bring Owen on from the bench. Whoever does best, I'd start the following week.

I'd like to see Owen earn his place, rather than walk straight back in.

I tend to think  the defence & midfield that played the other night is our best (which is average or below average by Premiership standards) it is in only attack where am I left wondering what is the best mix is. I don't count Xisco atm, I think it is fair to say Owen will start for the games he is fit, so it Shola V Oba for other spot. I can see JFK going with Shola :cheesy:

Xisco and Owen together looked toothless in the couple of games they played together which were disastrous. I don't mind if Joe wants to give Ameobi and Owen a run, if only to see if Owen can read any of Shola's knock ons, but I think we might be disappointed.

I actually that's a tricky decision in most circumstances, but Martins has been so poor in the last two games. I'd start Martins against Villa, then bring Owen on from the bench. Whoever does best, I'd start the following week.

He is our top goalscorer & captain I think that means he walks straight back in.

He is our top goalscorer & captain I think that means he walks straight back in.

I think he might start on the bench for Villa, as he's coming back from injury. Owen wasn't particularly impressive when he played as a striker last season in any case. His best performances were in a withdrawn role.

I think he might start on the bench for Villa, as he's coming back from injury. Owen wasn't particularly impressive when he played as a striker last season in any case. His best performances were in a withdrawn role.

He's been playing as a striker this season and still scored 5 goals. Not sure what much else he can do to prove he's still a top striker tbh.

He's been playing as a striker this season and still scored 5 goals. Not sure what much else he can do to prove he's still a top striker tbh.

:thup: