Players we should never have sold

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting thread.

Why was Ferdinand actually sold? Never really understood that; i was too young at the time. The sale of Cole was understanable - getting Gillespie, signing Ferdinand - but Sir Les, i don't know. ???

For me, Woodgate, because we got fuck all out of it - ie, did fuck all with the money and lost a great player.

We never signed Sir Les though till six months later, so how on earth you can justify that as understandable.

Well i don't know. It was a few years before i was old enough to follow football, but that's what i thought. But Ferdinand did replace Cole and replaced him effectively, with no great fluctuation in the prices received/paid, so you could say it was always in the pipeline.

No, we replaced Cole with Paul Kitson!

Interesting thread.

Why was Ferdinand actually sold? Never really understood that; i was too young at the time. The sale of Cole was understanable - getting Gillespie, signing Ferdinand - but Sir Les, i don't know. ???

For me, Woodgate, because we got fuck all out of it - ie, did fuck all with the money and lost a great player.

We never signed Sir Les though till six months later, so how on earth you can justify that as understandable.

Well i don't know. It was a few years before i was old enough to follow football, but that's what i thought. But Ferdinand did replace Cole and replaced him effectively, with no great fluctuation in the prices received/paid, so you could say it was always in the pipeline.

How could you though? If it was in the pipeline Keegan would have bought Ferdinand when he sold Cole.

quite a few IMO

Bellamy

Ferdinand

Ginola

JD Tomasson

keith Gillespie [not nominated]

Acuna

I think most of the rest were good deals for the club, for different reasons

Voted for Ginola, but it was tight between him and Ferdinand. I know Ginola wanted to go and Les wanted to stay, but still, that's my vote. Ginola was fabulously talented, one of my favourite Newcastle players of all time.

Interesting thread.

How could you though? If it was in the pipeline Keegan would have bought Ferdinand when he sold Cole.

Keegan went for him but QPR wanted to keep hold of him until they were safe from relegation.

I really cannot decide (why i made this poll) but there are a few clear candidates which strike out.

Most recently it has to be Bellamy, but i think the board underestimated the importance of Gary Speeds contribution and looked at his age alone when accepting the £500k from Bolton, and we missed him badly.

Back when you could say we were at our best i think Cole stands out a mile. It confirmed to a lot of people the club wasn't as mighty as we though, and when a club like manu comes knocking we answer the door. We replaced him poorly to make matters even worse.

Ginola wanted to go, but i put him in there because of his talent, it what sad to see a true entertainer leave our club before the end of his career.

Ferdinand however i agree with. It was good money at the time, and made financial sense. We had Shearer and we were looking towards a brighter future. It would of worked if Shearer didn't knack himself in that friendly, which left poor Thomasson to battle it out for most of the season as a main striker instead of a support. The idea was good imo, the result because of unforeseen circumstances wasn't. Thomasson & Shearer would of been lethal that season, Dalgeish could of got it spot on. (that's how i remember it anyway, i could be muddled with dates and times etc)

So after all of that, and having a think about it for a bit, i'm going to go with Bellamy. His passion, his ability, his age, the reasons we sold him for and the price we received makes him a stand out candidate for me. The fact we could still do with him doesn't go a miss either.

Bellamy it is.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Selling Nobby the first time cost us Champions Legue football and ultimately Bobby Robson his job after the walkout after the Wolves game.

Selling Speed without a replacement of quality was a massive, massive mistake.

Yeah. You could tell Speed was getting no younger and he wasn't great in the 03/04 season (still an important squad member nonetheless), but the fact that Butt was so shite rendered Speed's sale a mistake.

Bellamy.

Why do you say that?

He was an essential part of the team at the time, we had Shearer and Kluivert who held the ball up, we lost the pace we had upfront and sold him for what 4.5m? He went on to net around 17 league goals the season after and we were left with a bare frontline.

Selling Nobby the first time cost us Champions Legue football and ultimately Bobby Robson his job after the walkout after the Wolves game.

Wasn't paying attention and missed Ferdinand..! Aside from that, I was torn between Bellamy and Nobby. Made the same decision as you, we may never have had the Bellamy situation had the strange treatment and eventual departure of Solano not taken place.

David Ginola.

He has what this club always wanted, flair, entertainment and more.

Moreover, he did very well when he was at Spurs. I still remember the memorable matches between Spurs and Man U which Spurs ultimately won a couple of times... Ginola was a one man show, of course, i think Campbell marshalled the defence well too.

Regards,

Ericz

HAS to be Sir Les - if he had not been sold when Shearer picked up that terrible injury at Goodison in the close season of 97/98, the whole history of the club would have been different ; Tomasson would have been able to play OFF a big CF instead of trying to BE one, and I reckon he would have been just as big a success at NUFC as he eventually was at Milan - also, we would have probably qualified for Europe that season instead of struggling to get by and I doubt that there would have been enough discontent to sack Dalglish when they did.

At the time the sale was mooted, it looked a good fee for a 30 year old, but it proved a total disaster for NUFC...

Speed for me, huge mistake letting him go, might have still been part of the squad, not to mention coaching set up. He was the gel of the team on and certainly off the pitch, a model pro, driving force on the pitch, and whilst he was getting sloppy on the pitch our midfield since reflects his waining talents akin to pele.

Id say a good majority of the list were missed and regrettable sales.

Nobby was SBR's greatest mistake. A close runner up for me.

Distin and Hamman obviously would have been great players to keep, but the choice wasnt the clubs, both players screwed us over.

Cole was a shocker, I almost cried, but his sale was the catalyst for signing Ferdinand et al..

Ginola and Sir Les were measured decisions, although they did have another few seasons, we took the money whilst it was being offered.

Bellamy we dont need a 100 page thread on, he put us in the postion of having to sell him. Shame we didnt sack Souness whilst he was on loan at Celtic, but the poison dwarf has himself to blame.

To an extent likewise with Robert, Its clear to see we saw the best of him, his ego took control and he has failed pretty miserably since leaving us.

Letting Pearce go, whilst doesnt have any votes at the moment was a poor decision, he still could have given us a decent season, and several more as cover. The downside is he might have ended up manager if he had stayed! The position still gives us trouble now.

I was suprised at Big Sam not wanting to keep Parker in the squad, never the less im not too bothered he has gone.

We couldnt have driven JDT out better with flaming torches and pitch forks. He did better with a clean break, staying on wasnt really an option unfortunatley.

Acuna left on his own accord for family reasons, although was a tidy grafter.

Jenarse, Dyer, asprilla, chopra, Ferguson had either run their course here or didnt merit keeping. Woodgate was great business although I was initially gutted.

Guest Ridzuan

I have to go with Bellamy.He wasnt doing too badly with us at that time and I dont think he wants to leave,but Souey manage to do it.I think we would have finish the season in a higher place if he didnt not leave.

We never sold Distin, we tried almost everything we could to keep him.

Hamann

Ginola

and

Solano

were the worst ones when you consider what they went on to achieve and how badly we missed them.