Carpet Football

EthiGeordie

Am I the only one that is getting annoyed with Bobby coming out with stuff all the time? He's IMO beginning to come accross a bit bitter being critical all the time.

Maybe Allardyce should shit himself when its too late in the 75th minute and throw 3 subs on as well.

I appreciate the good he did for the club, but after all, he set the ball rolling towards the shit we are in now.

Not really all of the time is it?

It's becoming more and more frequent.

I'm sure Bobby wants what's best for the club but what he's doing is not going to help.

I don't see how its causing a problem though really ?

I understand that a little bit spence but robsons comments the other day were more trying to tell sam what to do rather than commenting on the situation and as the poster above said robson signed some crap alaso.

Cort, bassedas, cordone, fumaca the list goes on

Everyone who is Newcastle fan tells Sam what to do, only Bobby is lucky enough to get paid for saying it. All football managers who work over a long period of time sign shite:

Wegner: Cygan,Stepanov, Wreh, Suker

Fergie:Blomqvist,Taibi, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson,  

Am I the only one that is getting annoyed with Bobby coming out with stuff all the time? He's IMO beginning to come accross a bit bitter being critical all the time.

Maybe Allardyce should shit himself when its too late in the 75th minute and throw 3 subs on as well.

I appreciate the good he did for the club, but after all, he set the ball rolling towards the shit we are in now.

I'm sure Bobby wants what's best for the club but what he's doing is not going to help.

Its gonna do a lot more than not saying anything.

The bloke can do whatever he wants but he was in a similar position to Allardyce a few years back, and had a respected figure been coming out critisizing him I dont think he would have appreciated it.

Besides, he's no saint, some of his decisions where just as odd and the beginning under Bobby wasn't brilliant, it was a case of steadying the ship. Allardyce is 20 games in.

At the end of the day I dont think what he is doing is benefitting the club.

This isn't really the thread for a debate on Robson V Allardyce, if Robson is putting more pressure on Allardyce then I'd say it was Allardyce bringing it upon himself, he's making his own baffling decisions and paying for it.

tbh though fumaca was the worst footballer on the planet. Remember when allardyce was coming out slagging off roeder and we thought he should but out of it well now we are saying its ok for robson to do it. Its just another shadow over the club and he sounds fucking bitter tbh. He was not great at the beginning and it was the signings of robert and bellamy that transformed the team at the time. I know he got us into 3rd,4th and 5th but we were also still shoite at the back then and he could not get that right and that cost us a lot of games under him. Yes he won us some great games but the fact was we were a good attacking team but were far to weak a team to ever win anything under him because we were to lightweight and small a team.

Now when sam got the job I knew we may end up with unattractive football and I could handle that and recently I have been frustrated as anyone over sams tactics but I still think he will get it right if given the time and resources to do so. He is clearly trying to get us to stop wasting possesion so much and try to be a solid organised team which we were not under any of the last 3 managers tbh. I think he needs at least two seasons to shape the team and getting them play the way he wants. I have a feeling if he gets the back four playing as a unit that the rest will fall into shape and hope he is givent he time but for everyone to put robson right up there and think he is god is rubbish because the players did what they wanted under him.

tbh though fumaca was the worst footballer on the planet.

Check Ali Dai up who played a few mins for Southampton. Some idiot signed him & played him because he was George Weah's cousin or nephew, wonder  whatever happened to the bloke who signed him.

Remember when allardyce was coming out slagging off roeder and we thought he should but out

The problem most people had with Sam saying what he was saying was that he had none of the qualifications he was insisting that Roeder should have.

quote] well now we are saying its ok for robson to do it.

He is a media pundit these days, he gets paid for it.

Its just another shadow over the club and he sounds f****** bitter tbh.

I dont think he does.

He was not great at the beginning

The beginning was a 8-0 win, what more do you want.

and it was the signings of robert and bellamy that transformed the team at the time.

Signing players is how most clubs improve.

I know he got us into 3rd,4th and 5th but we were also still shoite at the back then and he could not get that right and that cost us a lot of games under him.

Were shite at the back? I thought it was more a case of conceding shocking goals becasue with digging out the stats I think clean sheet wise & goal against we were not as bad as people make out.

Yes he won us some great games but the fact was we were a good attacking team but were far to weak a team to ever win anything under him because we were to lightweight and small a team.

We didn't win anything not  because we were weak but because Arsenal & Man United are really good football teams. Lightweight maybe near the end but at the start Bobby sent a team out that had two centre halfs + Barton, Speed, Lee, Shearer & Duncan Ferguson.

Carpet football would be nice, but the fans are an obstacle to it.

The groans that go up when a player passes backwards are ridiculous, and woe betide any player passing back to the keeper.

If a simple forward pass isn't on this leaves players in a catch 22.  Hoof it and we're bereft of ideas, pass back to retain posession until there's an opening and the crowd are on your back.

Of course it's up to Allardyce to reassure them that he can see when passing back is a good thing and won't let the fans sway him, but also to improve our position and movement off the ball to create opportunities for clinical forward passing.  He just doesn't know enough about that himself, needs a cleverer number two than Terry Mac to fill that knowledge gap.

Spence, not every game was 8-0 was it, it took time was what I was getting at.

I didn't even quote you Lenny. But at the beginning it was definitely 8-0

Wasn't his first game away at Chelsea when we played 3-5-2 and lost 1-0?  ???

Its gonna do a lot more than not saying anything.

No it isn't though!  Like what exactly?

Guest jimmy1982

Carpet football for 5 years? I don't think so... the season that we finished 4th was probably the best in terms of passing football but I seem to remember a canny bit of long ballage during Bobby's tenure.

Spence, not every game was 8-0 was it, it took time was what I was getting at.

I didn't even quote you Lenny. But at the beginning it was definitely 8-0

Wasn't his first game away at Chelsea when we played 3-5-2 and lost 1-0?  ???

Well yes it was but dont let fact get in the way of great story. Away games never count as first games of the season, last games games of the season or when Bobby Robson took over O0

Seems like Sir Bobby just can't help himself - it must be hurting him badly watching the sort of football Sam's churning out week in, week out - and I'm sure he must be thinking "If only..." and wishing he could take the reins himself again.

Carpet football for 5 years? I don't think so... the season that we finished 4th was probably the best in terms of passing football but I seem to remember a canny bit of long ballage during Bobby's tenure.

Season we got fourth we played good football, had lots of goals and creativity in us.  Hence the reason we snatched fourth place from Leeds.

Go back and watch some of the clips of us finishing 4th, 3rd and even 5th.  Its much better football than we have seen since Souness, Roeder and now Allerdyce have had a shot at it.

Carpet football would be nice, but the fans are an obstacle to it.

The groans that go up when a player passes backwards are ridiculous, and woe betide any player passing back to the keeper.

If a simple forward pass isn't on this leaves players in a catch 22.  Hoof it and we're bereft of ideas, pass back to retain posession until there's an opening and the crowd are on your back.

Of course it's up to Allardyce to reassure them that he can see when passing back is a good thing and won't let the fans sway him, but also to improve our position and movement off the ball to create opportunities for clinical forward passing.  He just doesn't know enough about that himself, needs a cleverer number two than Terry Mac to fill that knowledge gap.

Strong agreement with this but just to be picky Nigel Pearson and Steve Round are a lot higher in the pecking order than Terry Mac but we may need more intelligence than them as well O0

I understand that a little bit spence but robsons comments the other day were more trying to tell sam what to do rather than commenting on the situation and as the poster above said robson signed some crap alaso.

Everyone who is Newcastle fan tells Sam what to do, only Bobby is lucky enough to get paid for saying it. All football managers who work over a long period of time sign s****:

but they have both won things what have we won (bobby was booted before he was given the chance to change things)

Sometimes, having made mistakes in the past is what allows you to see more clearly now.

Everyone who is Newcastle fan tells Sam what to do, only Bobby is lucky enough to get paid for saying it. All football managers who work over a long period of time sign s****:

but they have both won things what have we won (bobby was booted before he was given the chance to change things)

Quite ironic given how much time Sam is being given considering the shit he inherited compared to what SBR had to work with. (not aimed at you BTW)

And it has to be said that while it might have been relatively effective, much of the football we played in SBR's last couple of seasons was awful to watch.

Guest Knightrider

We need some carpet players first and while I agree with Sir Bobby, it wasn't always carpet football under him.

Guest jimmy1982

Season we got fourth we played good football, had lots of goals and creativity in us.  Hence the reason we snatched fourth place from Leeds.

Go back and watch some of the clips of us finishing 4th, 3rd and even 5th.  Its much better football than we have seen since Souness, Roeder and now Allerdyce have had a shot at it.

Don't need to watch the clips because I remember most of it. The facts are that we were absolutely great in the season we finished 4th, with Robert and Bellamy totally transforming a mediocre side into one of the most potent attacking threats in the country. The season after, when we finished 3rd, we were still playing good, winning football but with a few more balls lumped to Shearer, whose mobility was deteriorating. We still put together alot of slick attacks and anything negative in terms of playing style was being overlooked because of what was happening in the Champions League. The season we finished 5th we were absolutely dreadful and anyone who watched it cannot disagree. We finished 5th because we had a canny few players with attacking threat and the Premier League was terrible.

Of course we played better football in those three years than what we've done under Souness, Roeder and Allardyce - any other blindingly obvious statements you want to make? The thread is about the 'carpet football' that Robson supposedly had us playing for five years, and my disagreement was that although we played a lot of lovely stuff during two seasons (and even then we still made a hell of a lot of use of Shearer's ability to win long balls), to say that we played carpet football for 5 years is ridiculous.

The travesty of the last five years is that we didn't build succesfully on that team that finished 4th. Robson tried, by signing Woodgate, to finish the jigsaw, but for various reasons the wheels came off and then we got Souness. I suppose my gripe is that people are already hoying on the rose tinted geps regarding the Robson years even though it was only a few years ago.   

The begining of the end for Sir Bobby was when we finish 3rd he had plans of signing dreat players then he went out and sign Bowyer. It was bad decision and everything fall after that he had problems with Solano and you all know the other problems he face with after wards.