Why is this forum so negative ?

Benwell Lad

Why are the majority of contributors to this board so negative about Newcastle United ?

It may be an old notion but aren't football supporters supposed to be stoically upbeat about their team through thick and thin especially those who don't mind sometimes being referred to as "the best in England"

I'm one of the older posters on here and along with a few others can remember REALLY bad times.  Some on here have had no NUFC supporting experience outside the top league, and most of that has been sprinkled with high league placings, European football and decent cup runs. And yet we get page after page deriding the club and whinging on about how bad things are and how "s****" all our highly paid internationals are.

Imagine (god forbid) we'd been born mackems - now they have had it rough - compared to them we ARE a success story.

Even today's top post is just loaded with miserable self pity and jokes about how bad it is going to be to play Arsenal away. Twenty or thirty years ago we'd have been salivating about that draw and getting ready to queue up Barrack Road for hours to get a ticket, before heading south to take over North London for an afternoon, being totally defiant about our chances and "upping" our players despite having a much worse team and much less chance than we will have this time (assuming we beat Stoke of course ??)

This board has it's mackem stooges masquerading as NUFC fans to stir things up and it's share of moaners (just like "that bloke" who sits behind you at the match annoying the sh*t out of you) but it seems that everyone is getting dragged into it.

Right now we are in a period of transition with new (wealthy) owners, a manager attempting to change the ethos of the team and club, and new players.

Get behind them, we've sang the songs about loyalist supporters, Geordie boot boys etc - we should try living up to it.

Why are the majority of contributors to this board so negative about Newcastle United ?

It may be an old notion but aren't football supporters supposed to be stoically upbeat about their team through thick and thin especially those who don't mind sometimes being referred to as "the best in England"

I'm one of the older posters on here and along with a few others can remember REALLY bad times.  Some on here have had no NUFC supporting experience outside the top league, and most of that has been sprinkled with high league placings, European football and decent cup runs. And yet we get page after page deriding the club and whinging on about how bad things are and how "s****" all our highly paid internationals are.

Imagine (god forbid) we'd been born mackems - now they have had it rough - compared to them we ARE a success story.

Even today's top post is just loaded with miserable self pity and jokes about how bad it is going to be to play Arsenal away. Twenty or thirty years ago we'd have been salivating about that draw and getting ready to queue up Barrack Road for hours to get a ticket, before heading south to take over North London for an afternoon, being totally defiant about our chances and "upping" our players despite having a much worse team and much less chance than we will have this time (assuming we beat Stoke of course ??)

This board has it's mackem stooges masquerading as NUFC fans to stir things up and it's share of moaners (just like "that bloke" who sits behind you at the match annoying the sh*t out of you) but it seems that everyone is getting dragged into it.

Right now we are in a period of transition with new (wealthy) owners, a manager attempting to change the ethos of the team and club and a new players.

Get behind them, we've sang the songs about loyalist supporters, Geordie boot boys etc - we should try living up to it.

Tbh mate, I agree with you completely.

I've been shot down a couple of times for trying to be positive, but it won't change my opinion that we need to be 'United' and be those "supporters", not negative dickheads.

I think it's an unfortunate part of modern culture Benwell Lad. These days everything has to be quick. Little soundbytes, lots of glitz, little substance. Everyone is brainwashed into wanting more and wanting it fast.

After feeling like being raped every week for the last 13 years im not that positive anymore

Oh so can you share with us what being raped feels like?

I can imagine, sorry for not writing those words also, but i thought most people would understand what i meant

After feeling like being raped every week for the last 13 years im not that positive anymore

Not 13 but after Bobby was sacked..

Trust me mate the last 13 years supporting NUFC has been like heaven compared to the 30 years before that.

Trust me mate the last 13 years supporting NUFC has been like heaven compared to the 30 years before that.

nobody will believe you.

Agree entirely. Although at the match itself, there are more old moaners than any other sort in my experience. I just can't see how it helps the team one little bit...

Can't say I agree - as I'm too young - but I share the sentiment that people want too much too quickly. I guess we'll be the ones still supporting the team when we next get relegated...whether that's in 5 years or 50 years.

Top post.

'This board' as if every fan at SJP or on the road is 100% behind the team and manager. The boos ringing out home and away would suggest the fairly negative attitude of this forum reflects the majority opinion. A better question would be why are the fans so negative?

I'll always get behind my team, but I'm not going to pretend that things are OK when they're not. We have a bad manager playing bad football. It's not working and there are no signs of it working, and even if it was successful it's still a grim style of playing. I want to see good football.

I don't know how old you are Benwell Lad, from what you've said I suspect you're older than me. I'm in my late 20s, so perhaps I've not seen all the shite that you might have seen, but I've seen my fair share. I was there in the days of Jim Smith where we were playing poor football and were going nowhere in mid table (that sounds familiar doesn't it?) if you remember a lot of people back then were very unhappy with the style of football being played, and rightly so. It's the same now. I was there when we were hurtling towards relegation from the old 2nd Div, so I do have plenty of experience of REALLY bad times at NUFC.

But that doesn't mean I have to be happy or satisfied with Allardyce. If you are, that's your opinion.

I suppose some of us right now see th glass as being half full, and others see it half empty.

Right now we are in a period of transition with new (wealthy) owners, a manager attempting to change the ethos of the team and club, and new players.

well, older whatever that means, im only 22, and ive been supporting nufc since i was 5 years old!, however, i totally agree with you!

Can't say I agree - as I'm too young - but I share the sentiment that people want too much too quickly. I guess we'll be the ones still supporting the team when we next get relegated...whether that's in 5 years or 50 years.

You've hit a nail right on the head there. We WILL be the ones still supporting the team when that day comes round.

Long after owners,directors, managers, coaches and players have departed, the fans will still be there just as the fans of Leeds, Sheff Wed, Luton or Oxford will still be there supporting their clubs.

The fans ARE a club, and we've always been considered to be a pretty special and defiant bunch.

'This board' as if every fan at SJP or on the road is 100% behind the team and manager. The boos ringing out home and away would suggest the fairly negative attitude of this forum reflects the majority opinion. A better question would be why are the fans so negative?

This board may reflect the opinion of "fans" in general, but it's also more liable to be infiltrated by stirrers than a match would be.

I have never been totally satisfied with goings on and I moan myself, I just wonder why we're so negative ?

At recent matches the numbers bothering to boo could be counted in the hundreds, which out of 50,000 is a pretty small percentage.

It is however audible and gives BBC, Sky, The Gaurdian etc all the ammunition they need for their continued Newcastle baiting.

We have been shit since Bobby was sacked. I have always supported the team and being hopeful every new season and every new season i end up as disappointed as usual. I dont demand us to be challening for the CL or the PL title. I just want my team to play some good football!!

I'll always get behind my team, but I'm not going to pretend that things are OK when they're not. We have a bad manager playing bad football. It's not working and there are no signs of it working, and even if it was successful it's still a grim style of playing. I want to see good football.

I don't know how old you are Benwell Lad, from what you've said I suspect you're older than me. I'm in my late 20s, so perhaps I've not seen all the s**** that you might have seen, but I've seen my fair share. I was there in the days of Jim Smith where we were playing poor football and were going nowhere in mid table (that sounds familiar doesn't it?) if you remember a lot of people back then were very unhappy with the style of football being played, and rightly so. It's the same now. I was there when we were hurtling towards relegation from the old 2nd Div, so I do have plenty of experience of REALLY bad times at NUFC.

But that doesn't mean I have to be happy or satisfied with Allardyce. If you are, that's your opinion.

I suppose some of us right now see th glass as being half full, and others see it half empty.

Almost twice your age Tom. I realise mate that we all suffer being Newcastle fans - it's in the contract.

I did not want Allardyce, I wonder about some of the teams he's selected but I must say he's risen in my estimation lately showing dignity during adversity as the nation's media bays for his blood.

Many of the players would not be my choice either, but like the manager they are NUFC right now and for that reason I will support them and I'm certainly not going to voice opinions which London journalists and mackems would like to hear.