We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

Do people generally agree that Allardyce isnt getting the best out of his players then?

That old chesnut.  bluerazz.gif

To compete for the top 6 (Liverpool are 5th btw) we need to start spending big. And that doesn't mean we want to show the kind of ambition that Everton or Blackburn show (they spend conservatively) They don't have enough quality in depth to sustain any kind of challenge hence they yo yo. I'm not in the remotest interested what these two mickey mouse outfits do or don't do.

Man City and Pompey who both spent big in the summer along with Spurs who have spent big for two summers (the sale of Carrick makes the net figure look smaller) are the group we need to be in and that includes Liverpool now if Man C hold onto 4th which wouldn't surprise me. To catch up to this group regarding squad depth and and 3/4 high quality players we will have to spend big money.

Idiots amongst us and lets face it in they aren't in the minority will point to money being spent on Luque, Owen, Martins, Smith etc It means nothing if the players don't produce, they have to be replaced with players who are better and will deliver. If you like spending wrong recently (particularly on semi and perma crocks) means the money doesn't actually appear on the pitch, this is the reality and there is no hiding from.

So on three levels we are playing catch up: Squad depth, 3/4 top tier players, 3/4 good squad players to cover.

This is going to cost money and big money.

What guarantuee is there that any of these big money signings will improve the squad if the signings laready made by allardyce havent improved the squad? Surely you cant say that the players we signed werent an improvment on what we had last year.

Dont get me wrong, i definitely think that the team needs investment, but as it stands, Allrdyce hasnt shown to me that he has the ability or coaching methods to make the new signings work. Which for me is a bigger worry.

I also think £100m is pretty steep in 6months, because if £100m is spent in 6months, and Allardyce doesnt get us into a top4 or5 position how do yout think that would bode with the fans? Do you think it would be justifiable and sensible to give him the rope to hang himself so early into his nufc career.

It's not steep. It's ambitious.

Only if you're naive enough to believe that flexing your financial muscles is the only way (or the key way) to implement ambition.

Do you not think that it is a bit naive to try and achieve this clubs ambitions in 6 months, which is essentially what you're implying?

Its basically giving the club a rope to hang itself with.

We won't achieve any of our long term goals in 6 months. What we will do if we have a significant and targetted spend is be able to compete. That's all.

We're ten points away from a good position. We are punching well below our weight in term of quality of our squad and havent strung together 2 or 3 consecutive decent performances. In my opinion saying that £x million will make us competitive again is a bit naive and pretty short sighted.

My point is that if Allardyce had squeazed a drop of talent out of the squad he's inherited and put together, id be more confident to hand over a fat wedge for him to take us further. He hasnt so far, so by that logic wont do if he is given the wonga. Which leads us back to square one.

What in the name of the good lord are you babbling about?

Lets spend £200m and get us looking to achieve our ambitions in one go.

:thup:

Some people are getting this arse about tit.  If we could spend £100M on real class in the next 6 months I'd be all for it.  If you'd prefer our billionaire owner kept his powder dry there's something wrong.

However, the problem is, it won't be possible to.  It's like Brewsters millions. 

Attracting £25m players is cloud cuckoo land.

The odd £15M buy from Europe at a push, never 7 of them.

Parky clearly just on the wind up in this thread like.

When someone disagrees he either insults their intelligence or misrepresents their view.

Clearly.

You'd think the people agreeing would be more embarrassed once NE5 started agreeing with him.  :rolleyes:

Some people are getting this arse about tit.  If we could spend £100M on real class in the next 6 months I'd be all for it.  If you'd prefer our billionaire owner kept his powder dry there's something wrong.

However, the problem is, it won't be possible to.  It's like Brewsters millions. 

You're getting there, I knew you would.

If we can make a start with 1/2 of these this window and a couple more in the summer I'd say we're moving in the right direction.

It's a snowball effect the more quality in the first team the easier it is to attract others.

The quicker we get back into Euro, again it is easier to attract big players.

You know these days quality players cost money it isn't like 5 years ago when we could compete for spend with 3/4 clubs, there are now 8 or so clubs who can and are starting to spend more.

If we can make a start with 1/2 of these this window and a couple more in the summer I'd say we're moving in the right direction.

It's a snowball effect the more quality in the first team the easier it is to attract others.

You know these days quality players cost money it isn't like 5 years ago when we could compete for spend with 3/4 clubs, there are now 8 or so clubs who can and are starting to spend more.

bluelaugh.gif

Nothing like what you were saying we must do if we're to compete with the likes of West Ham.

Well that's your opinion and your entitled to it.

I just hope that the clubs management aren't looking at what every other club is doing and stick to their own plans

Obviously part of this would be improving the first team so you shouldn't worry.

Well that's your opinion and your entitled to it.

I just hope that the clubs management aren't looking at what every other club is doing and stick to their own plans

Obviously part of this would be improving the first team so you shouldn't worry.

When's the last time we bought a top tier player who wasn't a crock or scatty or lazy? When is the last time we didn't have a threadbare squad? You know if we took Zoggy out of our side what exactly would we be looking at?

We are simply years behind.

You serious? Lescott, Cahill, Arteta, AJ or Yak, would all easily go straight in our starting 11. Baines probably better than Enrique as well.

Those 2 would,  Maybe Lescott too, but I think he'd add nothing because our defensive problems aren't down to individuals but to not working as a unit.

Yakubu would probably get ahead of Martins and/or Viduka, aye.

Owen would shit on Johnson when both playing their best.  As it is, they're both playing canny shite, aren't they?

Yet in the Summer who would have taken Yakubu over Viduka?

People talk about Tevez saving West Ham but Viduka done the same for Boro, he carried them at the end of last season and looked awesome while doing it scoring 10 goals in the last 13 league games, Yakubu was doing fuck all at the time.

This season Viduka's came here and had to put up with one long ball after another being fired up to him, it's a style of play that doesn't suit him at all and it wouldn't suit Yakubu either.

Perhaps people should think about this before writing our players off as not being good enough.

Viduka has the same goal ratio here as he did at Boro.

But he looked a far better player at Boro than he did here, because they played a style that suited him.

Is this a new criteria for judging strikers? You may mean he provided more assists too.

But he looked a far better player at Boro than he did here, because they played a style that suited him.

Is this a new criteria for judging strikers? You may mean he provided more assists too.

How do you judge strikers, Chez?

How do you judge strikers, Chez?

Goals and bringing other players into the game. Viduka seems to be doing the same for us as at Boro, 1 goal in 3 and trying to bring other players into the game (e.g when he dropped deep against stoke and played the pass that Owen should have scored from).

When someone disagrees he either insults their intelligence or misrepresents their view.

Rubbish.

agreed

Clearly.

You'd think the people agreeing would be more embarrassed once NE5 started agreeing with him.  :rolleyes:

no. I have quite clearly been correct for a long time, and I'm dead pleased parky is correct too.

And, if the end result of todays events is the club showing real ambition with their own appointed manager, I fully expect to see quite a lot of u-turns from those of the more conservative persuasion - probably the same people who oddly wanted the old board so "splash the cash" all the time, meaning they have done a 360 degree circle of u turns.

REAL class players are now £ 20mm - £ 40 mm

AS I said earlier just assembling 15 top4 quality players will cost us  north of £ 100mm - you'd be lucky to salvage 5 or 6 out of teh current squad

Clearly.

no. I have quite clearly been correct for a long time, and I'm dead pleased parky is correct too.

And, if the end result of todays events is the club showing real ambition with their own appointed manager, I fully expect to see quite a lot of u-turns from those of the more conservative persuasion - probably the same people who oddly wanted the old board so "splash the cash" all the time, meaning they have done a 360 degree circle of u turns.

i'd like to see cash being splashed if we can afford it (ie ashley spending like abramovich)

i'd not like to see cash being splashed if we cant afford it (ie racking up unsustainable debts)