The Great Tottenham Sales

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest ObaStar

Someone put this in a new thread. I can't yet

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3032432,00.html

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has warned that he has no intention of allowing Steven Taylor or Obafemi Martins to leave St James' Park.

Following a disappointing first half of the season Newcastle are expected to use the January transfer window to shuffle their ranks somewhat, with exits and arrivals anticipated in equal measures.

Taylor's existing deal expires in the summer and thus far he has been unable to thrash out fresh terms with the North East club.

Tottenham are thought to be monitoring Taylor's situation but Allardyce is adamant the 21-year-old will not be allowed to leave in January.

He told the Evening Chronicle: "While they say everybody has got his price, I can tell them that Steven Taylor is not for sale."

Martins staying

Martins, who is currently away with the Nigeria squad ahead of the African Cup of Nations, has been the subject of admiring glances from both Manchester City and Aston Villa.

Again though, Allardyce has insisted Martins is not a player he would consider selling.

"We have had no contact with Villa or City about Obafemi Martins, but I can tell them - and anybody else, for that matter - that he is not for sale."

Fringe players

While loath to sanction departures before he has secured replacements, Allardyce concedes he will allow fringe players to seek pastures new.

"I do not want to lose any players really," he added on the club's official website.

"But I'm in the same boat as everyone else really. If a large enough offer is made for one of my fringe players and we can use the money to strengthen the side, we will look at it.

"It would have to be a sizeable offer to tempt me."

Im guessing fringe players are ameobi, possibly emre ramage, carr?

Guest LucaAltieri

Someone put this in a new thread. I can't yet

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3032432,00.html

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has warned that he has no intention of allowing Steven Taylor or Obafemi Martins to leave St James' Park.

Following a disappointing first half of the season Newcastle are expected to use the January transfer window to shuffle their ranks somewhat, with exits and arrivals anticipated in equal measures.

Taylor's existing deal expires in the summer and thus far he has been unable to thrash out fresh terms with the North East club.

Tottenham are thought to be monitoring Taylor's situation but Allardyce is adamant the 21-year-old will not be allowed to leave in January.

He told the Evening Chronicle: "While they say everybody has got his price, I can tell them that Steven Taylor is not for sale."

Martins staying

Martins, who is currently away with the Nigeria squad ahead of the African Cup of Nations, has been the subject of admiring glances from both Manchester City and Aston Villa.

Again though, Allardyce has insisted Martins is not a player he would consider selling.

"We have had no contact with Villa or City about Obafemi Martins, but I can tell them - and anybody else, for that matter - that he is not for sale."

Fringe players

While loath to sanction departures before he has secured replacements, Allardyce concedes he will allow fringe players to seek pastures new.

"I do not want to lose any players really," he added on the club's official website.

"But I'm in the same boat as everyone else really. If a large enough offer is made for one of my fringe players and we can use the money to strengthen the side, we will look at it.

"It would have to be a sizeable offer to tempt me."

Im guessing fringe players are ameobi, possibly emre ramage, carr?

That'd be my guess.... them along with some more of the young'uns. Also, as much as I hate to say it, its probably better hanging on to Carr for the time being.

Played for the reserves last night.

Saw one of the goals from last night and Carr looked like he was about 10 yards off the pace - I didn't see the game but watching the goal wasn't pretty.

According to reports Ramos is prepared to allow the following to leave:

Paul Robinson - no comment needed

Pascal Cimbonda - absolute c***, look at his past, particularly French (i think) club he was at before Wigan, reason Wigan got him on a free was because he basically f***** up the entire club leading to their relegation. Obviously can't blame it all on one man, but his transfer request on the last day of the season when playing for Wigan summed up what sort of person he is. Nowhere near as good as Beye,

Jermain Defoe - No way, always offside, totally frustrating and would leave to Martins leaving, who has infinite times more potential and is a good few years younger

Lee-Young Pyo - awful awful awful. If you think Enrique is bad you haven't seen this guy play. My friend who is a massive Spurs fan almost immediately admits defeat when he's in the team.

Anthony Gardner - As above

Hossam Ghaly - As above. For attitude see Chimbonda, Pascal.

Wayne Routledge - promising teenager but since Spurs move has been on loan to various premier league and championship teams and done precisely FA. He is a winger and we don't need another one of those.

Paul Stalteri - Canadian.

Who if any of these do you think could improve our squad?

I would try and pick up Chimbonda, Defoe, Lee and Routledge personally. Chimbonda can play centre back or right back, Lee can play left back or left midfield and would offer good cover, Routledge has pace and needs games. I thought he was a good player when spurs signed him but he was never really given the run of games he needs and Defoe is a natural goalscorer if we were to bid rid of Oba.

Comments above

Sadly, aside from Toon matches, Spurs and Arsenal are probably the teams I watch the most, living in London and having lots of mates who support both. It’s one thing taking players from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester reserves (and even that has very limited success – see Smith, Babayaro, Geremi and even to a lesser extent Duff and early days Butt), but taking players who are rejects from a team below us in the league is unfathomable. None of them would offer anything extra. I can see why people say Defoe but if we’re going to spend £7-10m on a striker there is so much better on offer – Fred & Ashton are both players I’d rather see us spend that sort of money on. Defoe is a one trick pony who is nowhere near as young as people think (will be 26 this year) and will only get worse as he loses his pace a la Owen. I really hope we are slightly more inventive with who we look to buy than just taking chuck outs like this. I know we can’t aim for the very top drawer players but the least I would expect is to go abroad / to the lower leagues and try and pick up a gem rather than punt on average players we know will never be the best.

Spot on!  Chimbonda's departure will be mourned by some but, defensively, he has gone a long way backwards this season.  At Wigan he made the PFA Team of they Year.  This season you could count on 2 hands who is better than him and still need an extra finger or two.  Defoe is, as you say, a one trick pony, a poor man's Michael Owen.  'Arry wants him and that's my hunch for where he finishes up.

Defoe for me. Not too sure about that Chimbonda, I suppose he is better than what we got but then again I like Beye.

Who is keeping him out of the Spurs team?

No sure he's any better than Beye who seems to be improving / adapting the the Premier League all the time.

Beye to play CB perhaps?

But Chimbonda is a wanker of the highest order though.....

According to reports Ramos is prepared to allow the following to leave:

Paul Robinson - no comment needed

Pascal Cimbonda - absolute c***, look at his past, particularly French (i think) club he was at before Wigan, reason Wigan got him on a free was because he basically f***** up the entire club leading to their relegation. Obviously can't blame it all on one man, but his transfer request on the last day of the season when playing for Wigan summed up what sort of person he is. Nowhere near as good as Beye,

Jermain Defoe - No way, always offside, totally frustrating and would leave to Martins leaving, who has infinite times more potential and is a good few years younger

Lee-Young Pyo - awful awful awful. If you think Enrique is bad you haven't seen this guy play. My friend who is a massive Spurs fan almost immediately admits defeat when he's in the team.

Anthony Gardner - As above

Hossam Ghaly - As above. For attitude see Chimbonda, Pascal.

Wayne Routledge - promising teenager but since Spurs move has been on loan to various premier league and championship teams and done precisely FA. He is a winger and we don't need another one of those.

Paul Stalteri - Canadian.

Who if any of these do you think could improve our squad?

I would try and pick up Chimbonda, Defoe, Lee and Routledge personally. Chimbonda can play centre back or right back, Lee can play left back or left midfield and would offer good cover, Routledge has pace and needs games. I thought he was a good player when spurs signed him but he was never really given the run of games he needs and Defoe is a natural goalscorer if we were to bid rid of Oba.

Comments above

Sadly, aside from Toon matches, Spurs and Arsenal are probably the teams I watch the most, living in London and having lots of mates who support both. Its one thing taking players from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester reserves (and even that has very limited success see Smith, Babayaro, Geremi and even to a lesser extent Duff and early days Butt), but taking players who are rejects from a team below us in the league is unfathomable. None of them would offer anything extra. I can see why people say Defoe but if were going to spend £7-10m on a striker there is so much better on offer Fred & Ashton are both players Id rather see us spend that sort of money on. Defoe is a one trick pony who is nowhere near as young as people think (will be 26 this year) and will only get worse as he loses his pace a la Owen. I really hope we are slightly more inventive with who we look to buy than just taking chuck outs like this. I know we cant aim for the very top drawer players but the least I would expect is to go abroad / to the lower leagues and try and pick up a gem rather than punt on average players we know will never be the best.

Spot on!  Chimbonda's departure will be mourned by some but, defensively, he has gone a long way backwards this season.  At Wigan he made the PFA Team of they Year.  This season you could count on 2 hands who is better than him and still need an extra finger or two.  Defoe is, as you say, a one trick pony, a poor man's Michael Owen.  'Arry wants him and that's my hunch for where he finishes up.

Agree with the original comments, particularly the one about Routledge, who I thought we should have gone for when Spurs originally signed him.

Irrespective of the actual 'transfer list', there's not that many players in the Spurs squad that I'd want in ours - the Bent/Berbatov/Keane trio aside - certainly none of their defenders&keepers...still not convinced by Taino, Malbranque or Zokora, as for Jenas....the less said the better.

Would take Lennon in a heartbeat though.

Guest Sniffer

I'd be very surprised if Sam could find a buyer for martin's who'd give us back anything like the money we wasted on him. If he could, I'd bite their hands off.

Sell Martins buy Defoe.

Im no Martins fan but Defoe is awful.

Why people here really want him in our squad is shocking to me.

Strike rate of more or less one in two in his years at Spurs. Good enough?