Mark Hughes

James

Shearer would be inexperienced.

Hughes has achieved more in football than Big Al as well. Winning the FA Cup 4 teams, the Premiership twice and 2 European Trophies. He's also won more international caps than Big Al.

He's done alot in the game.

:thup:

As for Keegan, the mans a nervous loser.

:thdn:

Howay man, when the pressure cooks Keegan breaks.

I would take Hughes above Jol, Shearer, Keegan, Houllier and Nappy.

Only the likes of Hiddink, Van Gaal or Klinsmann would have been a clear step up.

Klinsmann will do a terrific job at Munchen.

I would take Hughes above Jol, Shearer, Keegan, Houllier and Nappy.

Only the likes of Hiddink, Van Gaal or Klinsmann would have been a clear step up.

Klinsmann will do a terrific job at Munchen.

2 of them will definitely not join us isn't it? (Klins, Van Gaal?)

Yup.

I'm more than annoyed we didn't approach Klinsmann.

Hughes would do no better than the previous managers here. First sign of trouble and fans would be on his back. He's a decent manager and an up and coming one but he would have to hit the ground running here, and he's not that good and nor are our players. It has to be a huge name or a combo of KK and Shearer or one of them otherwise we'll be back on that vicious circle before too long.

this

word for word

I think people are being rather harsh on Hughes. I think he would do well here given financial backing, but obviously he's not the exciting appointment that gets the blood pumping we're all hoping for.

Might be the best one at this moment.

Guest Knightrider

Hughes would do no better than the previous managers here. First sign of trouble and fans would be on his back. He's a decent manager and an up and coming one but he would have to hit the ground running here, and he's not that good and nor are our players. It has to be a huge name or a combo of KK and Shearer or one of them otherwise we'll be back on that vicious circle before too long.

I don't think he needs to hit the ground running at all. He'd make it to next season barring a huge relegation struggle. That's a good 4/5 months to get comfortable without loads of pressure. We've missed the European boat already.

From there he'll take off.

Really? And what if he lost 4 of his first 5 games which he could quite easily do. You know as well as I do fans have little patience left for this anymore, just look at how restless they grew under Sam who actually has a better record than Hughes. No, in my opinion there are only two types of manager who fans will be willing to be patient with and that's an absolute top drawer manager or someone like a KK or Shearer.

Remember, fans are of the mentality that if we are to sack Big Sam, then it better be for a much better manager. Now that he has gone, Redknapp and Hughes do not inspire or shout out "much better".

I think things could get nasty I really do.

No-one has the stomach for "he needs more time and money" anymore. Souness, Roeder, Big Sam and Hughes? Same old same old...

How would Hughes be better than Houllier?!

I think people are actually forgetting, deliberately or not, what kind of fans we have. We need everyone to stand united behind a manager and give him time. Hughes will not get that kind of support.

I hope the board, when assessing each candidate, realizes that this issue is of utmost importance. If all of us support a manager from the off, I swear we'll be successful. We supported KK from the off. We supported SBR from the off. Roeder, Souness and Sam obviously weren't, so there's something there that needs to be looked at as well.

I don't think he needs to hit the ground running at all. He'd make it to next season barring a huge relegation struggle. That's a good 4/5 months to get comfortable without loads of pressure. We've missed the European boat already.

Really? And what if he lost 4 of his first 5 games which he could quite easily do. You know as well as I do fans have little patience left for this anymore, just look at how restless they grew under Sam who actually has a better record than Hughes. No, in my opinion there are only two types of manager who fans will be willing to be patient with and that's an absolute top drawer manager or someone like a KK or Shearer.

Remember, fans are of the mentality that if we are to sack Big Sam, then it better be for a much better manager. Now that he has gone, Redknapp and Hughes do not inspire or shout out "much better".

No-one has the stomach for "he needs more time and money" anymore. Souness, Roeder, Big Sam and Hughes? Same old same old...

This is partly where Mort has failed. The fans became too big a part of the equation and the panick button has been hit 4 months early imo.

This is partly where Mort has failed. The fans became too big a part of the equation and the panick button has been hit 4 months early imo.

They've not helped themselves one bit.

I think people are actually forgetting, deliberately or not, what kind of fans we have. We need everyone to stand united behind a manager and give him time. Hughes will not get that kind of support.

I hope the board, when assessing each candidate, realizes that this issue is of utmost importance. If all of us support a manager from the off, I swear we'll be successful. We supported KK from the off. We supported SBR from the off. Roeder, Souness and Sam obviously weren't, so there's something there that needs to be looked at as well.

Not sure it's going to be as easy as just choosing Keegan or Shearer if all else fails. They will want guarantees for spend in the transfer market and I'm not sure Ashley and Mort (bring money in before we spend) is going to be that easily swayed. 10 or 20m net won't do it.

Not sure it's going to be as easy as just choosing Keegan or Shearer if all else fails. They will want guarantees for spend in the transfer market and I'm not sure Ashley and Mort (bring money in before we spend) is going to be that easily swayed. 10 or 20m net won't do it.

Mort seems to be the accountant balancing the books type. But Ashley, I think, seems to be really cavalier and will go all-guns-blazing for trophies, top 4 finishes etc.

They're a good partnership imo, and I trust them to deliver success to the club eventually. They're still on a learning curve as well (hence the Redknapp thing) so you've gotta take that into account.

Anyway, I expect Ashley to back whoever is appointed. Just need the fans to fully be behind whoever is appointed as well.

Ashley and Mort will have to stand by their man. Simple really. It won't be Hughes team that will be playing. he may not have had any time  to bring in new people. The dislike of Big Sam was largely down to weird tactics, baffling team selections and long balls. Hughes doesn't do this.

Our fans have the mentality of bringing in a much better manager like fans favourites Keegan/Shearer?

Like I said, stick with your man and support him. Sam was never Mort's man.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Hughes will get time and further more i think he would get the best out of the players we have. I know our fans are impatient but a lot of them were willing to give Sam the summer to sort it out.

Remember Hughes will be the Owners man, the players will know this therefore know he has the full support. I imagine they were very sceptical about how much support Sam actually had at board room level.

Mark Hughes is exactly what we need, a proven, young, ambitious, top name player/manager, with a progressive CV.

I agree with this. People keep on about Keegan and cracking under pressure but I'd like to worry about that when we are back in 1st place ahead of Man U. Best Newcastle team that I ever saw thats for sure and then some.

Just need the fans to fully be behind whoever is appointed as well.

No they don't. A few big signings and good football and the new man will be sorted for some time.

Would be yet another 18 month- 2 year appointment and the crowd would be sceptical of his ability from day one.

No thank you.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Would be yet another 18 month- 2 year appointment and the crowd would be sceptical of his ability from day one.

No thank you.

Disagree entirely

I see Hughes, with the right backing which i am convinced he will get, being at Newcastel for a lengthy spell. I think he has the potential to Manage Man Utd or Barcelona i rate him that highly. I will be delighted if we appoint him