Mark Hughes, Martin Jol or Harry Redknapp ?

Guest nufc_geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't in good conscience select any of them. I'd now rather have an interim manager until the end of the season whilst putting in the conditions required to lock in a top-flight manager in the summer.

I can't in good conscience select any of them. I'd now rather have an interim manager until the end of the season whilst putting in the conditions required to lock in a top-flight manager in the summer.

Now THAT sounds like sense.

Did he really spend the money though or was that Arneson and Commolli running the show. Either way his appraoch to coaching and team performance seem to be along the lines we as Newcastle fans would like to see!

Exactly.  Canny bloke as well, not an utter c*** like Arry.

Yep, I'd take Jol over Redknapp any day. As far as I understand it the bad transfer decisions were not Jol's fault.

But it was Jol's fault to make good players look bad. 

It was Jol's fault that 85% of the squad were overweight at the time of his departure, despite having been warned of the declining fitness levels, both verbally and written.

It was Jol's fault that he wanted to shut up shop when winning against teams who had the firepower to come back if they were handed the initiative.  The Carling Cup semi-final defeat against the Arsenal kids when winning 2-0 and the eventual defeat to Chelsea in the FA Cup when winning 3-1 are just 2 of the numerous examples available.  Neither tie (imho) would have been lost if he had maintained the courage of his convictions and stayed with the tactics that had worked so well. 

If you listen to Jol, you quickly work out that all of the good signings were down to him and the bad ones were down to Comolli.  "Berbatov is good but doesn't have what it takes to be a success in the Premiership when compared to Kuyt" paints a clearer picture for me.

I like Hughes, he's got the whole james bond thing going for him

I doubt he would leave Blackburn. But then again I'd say the same 'bout 'Arry!

If you read/believe the express then: "Hughes was put forward but Newcastle were not interested."

As managers i think 'arry and Hughes are of the same stature, but Mark just seems like a more likeable figure.

Plus Redknap's jowls make me cringe, and at the very least we should be looking for a reasonably attractive man to be at the helm.

As it says on the tin. Answer on the presumption we have to employ one of the three please. Ta

None of the above.

Glenn Hoddle anyone?

Top quality coach but shouldn't be let loose with the transfer fund.  His failure at Spurs was due to the DoF system in place with David Pleat being the DoF. 

For those wanting Jol, I can only guess they must have missed what's been going on at Spurs for the past year.  The way Levy got rid of him was a shambles and a disgrace, but the need for change was undeniable.

Guest kingdawson

Just thinking about our present situation it is entirely feasible that Ashley/Mort will knock on the doors of Blackburn and Portsmouth respectively and be told in no uncertain terms to get lost. If this happened would the appointment of Martin Jol be that bad?

Personally I would have him as my no. 1 choice. He took a struggling Spurs squad and turned it into comfortably the best of the rest. they easily finished 5th twice in a row and almost pipped Arsenal into fourth in one of those campaigns. he plays an expansive attacking game with pace and flair, and at Newcastle he should be able to run things the way he wants, without a director of football making transfers for him.

I for one would certainly like to see this route pursued!

Wouldn't be wholly against it.  Think he was sacked with less reason than Sam was.

No way is this true. We were hovering around the relegation zone and it didnt look like things would improve. Add to that, we constantly kept letting in last minute goals which was down to a mixture of Jol trying to shut up shop (like martin jol the poster said), or Jol making weirdo substitutions. Thank God we got rid off him BUT i dont rate Redknapp one bit so i guess you're in a lose lose situation.

As it says on the tin. Answer on the presumption we have to employ one of the three please. Ta

None of the above.

Glenn Hoddle anyone?

Top quality coach but shouldn't be let loose with the transfer fund.  His failure at Spurs was due to the DoF system in place with David Pleat being the DoF. 

For those wanting Jol, I can only guess they must have missed what's been going on at Spurs for the past year.  The way Levy got rid of him was a shambles and a disgrace, but the need for change was undeniable.

From the outside, it looked like Jol had managed the club to good finishes while hamstrung by a belligerent and interfering board who unceremoniously kicked him out for not achieving miracles.

In his super amazing nearly-in-the-top-4-but-for-the-lasagna season Jol managed to finish a whole 2 points ahead of Hughes's Blackburn.

Since Sam put the worlds most unattractive brand of hoafball on us I have been wanting Jol to come!

I feel he is ideal for us, plays attractive football with out and out wingers, loves pacey football to be played on the ground and his transfer record is good, he brought Berbatov to the prem, Lennon from Leeds for 1mil, and a wealth of young British players for the future!

Plus he would have a major point to prove, not only to spuds directors but English football as a whole!

GET JOL IN NOW!

Guest kingdawson

None of the above.

Glenn Hoddle anyone?

From the outside, it looked like Jol had managed the club to good finishes while hamstrung by a belligerent and interfering board who unceremoniously kicked him out for not achieving miracles.

But in reality, Jol was backed to the hills by the board who supported him throughout his reign, until he decided to start treating Paul Robinson as his illegitamate love child and constantly played him despite Robbo making 4 errors a game and also letting the squad eat pretty much what they wanted. Basically he lost the dressing room and deserved to be chucked out. I can even say that i liked the way Levy fired him tbh. Made sure he got a top class replacement first and then dashed him out faster then a fat man's heart rate. Pretty shady but football's a cut throat business and near enough every other chairman would do the same thing (minus being caught).

None of them

Hughes looked great at first with Wales and Blackburn but he seems to run out of ideas after a while

Jol is seemingly untested in the transfer market with others at Spurs making the transfer decisions, tactically he's OK but nothing great - I don't remember him pulling off any unforeseen victories against the top teams

'arry has always done OK with teams but he's never managed to get a team consistently into the top 6