These disparaging references to "cockneys"

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

Now that it seems certain we will have a truly "cockney" manager can we stop using this term as a backhanded term of insult.  I personally find it demeaning having lived and worked with some cracking "cockneys".  They are no different to us geordies, they just have a different dialect.

Bollocks to that - it goes back too long just to stop as soon as Redknapp comes in. It also doesn't help that he basically embodies most negative cockney stereotypes. Don't get me wrong, through work i have become one of the oft-slated 'london mags' and so i have a lot of friends born and raised here, however even they look at the term 'cockney' as referring to a dodgy east end geeza, the likes of which you'd see in Eastenders. And let's be honest, who couldn't see Redknapp running that car lot, he basically is Frank Butcher.

Yeah, that's true enough. I don't care where someone's from to be honest, as long as they've got the club's best interests at heart and do a good job i'll be happy (i think that position may change if some mackem rocks up in charge)

Guest elbee909

I guess I'm as cockney as they come, born in Bow and only a Newcastle fan through my mum's side of the family.

I hate the cockney wankers.  Then again I just hate wankers.  Everyone then.  I'm a misanthrope.

If we drop cockney....where will it end? Will we no longer be able to say"You thieving scouse c***", "f*** off back to Wales you sheepshagging taffy b******", "You of Worst Team In History fame your just a Sad Mackem b******" etc........we must keep regional identity when stating fact to people not from our part of world.

Guest elbee909

It's true, we need to be able to proclaim people benefit-system-abusing workshy overly-proud-of-a-few-patches-of-grass Geordie twats.  Otherwise where will it end?  Abuse... it's funny.

Now that it seems certain we will have a truly "cockney" manager can we stop using this term as a backhanded term of insult.  I personally find it demeaning having lived and worked with some cracking "cockneys".  They are no different to us geordies, they just have a different dialect.

Mate - we get as much - probably a damn site MORE from our cockney friends - and even MORE from the rest of the country it has to be said, judging from the crap coming from Talk Spurt

Just came back a few days ago from another week in the capital, and it confrimed my opinion that people daaan saaaaf', and in London, are rude as fuck.

Much more so than in the north, or Newcastle in general. Even wor lass is fucking rude, so I'm teaching her Geordie etiquette.

Aye, there's nowt wrong with proper east end cockneys. Most of the cockneys I've met have been friendly, down to earth, good people. It's the rest of the c***s that live in and arround that there London that give the place an 'every man for himself' attitude.