Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

question - would any of the existing squad respect keegan if he was telling them what to do and they didn't agree with it?

to me this is a big factor about our next manager...we need a manager to come in and say run through that wall (not literally but you know?) to a player and for him to set off without hesitation

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the f*** would they do what he says?

What a load of crap!

They know damn well who he is, it's all about getting the players to believe in themselves and that is one area Keegan excelled in!

Would love to know who you think would be better than those 2 at this time realistically?

As Shearer has been ear marked for the job anyway!  Why not get them in now?  Otherwise the next manager will have the same problem Big sam had with Shearer lurking in the shadows and seemingly making it an impossible job!

look the point is why keegan?  shearer no worries, seems nailed on at some point but why keegan?

for us it'd be sentimental and everyone could have a tear in their eye...doesn't mean it's the right thing to do...surely shearer would be able to motivate?  then what does keegan bring?

explain to me 'cause i'm asking...

I remember the excitement when Gullit took charge. The "We Love Sexy Football" banners, the dreadlocked wigs, the "Clog on the Tyne" puns...then within 90 minutes we were stuffed 4-1.

Relevant?

I was replying to li3nz's point about the feel good factor before kick-off if Shearer & Keegan take over. Will mean very little if on their first game they're gubbed though won't it.

I genuinely believe the atmosphere will be on a level we have never seen before at this ground. I don't think we will "get grubbed" and wouldn't be surprised to see the atmosphere reflected on the players performance... maybe in a typical Keegan'esque "entertainers" wave after wave of attack, but this is dreamland stuff.... my point is the way our supporters used to get behind the team back then really did make a huge difference, as much as it is an overused saying we really were the 12th man and I think it will take a figurehead such as keegan or shearer to bring this back.

we'd not lose unless we come up against a profesionall football team who believe in ability and coaching rather than mythical atmosphere's for winning games

This is the point though. f****** David Copperfield could manage us, never mind Mourinho - the way things are he wouldn't be able to get a decent performance out of that lot. We need more than one of these so called tactical genius phenonenon's (by the way, I think this label is as mythical as it gets) they can't do anything with our club, we are in an extremely depressed state.

By the way re: the other point about players reporting to Keegan, discipline etc, if Shearer was ultimately in charge I am in no doubt they would do anthing he said. If he told them to run through the wall they would knock the whole building down doing it.

sam allardyce had been widely regarded as the best english manager around for years, didn't stop our players ignoring him right away did it?

but the point you make about shearers a good one - so if he's doing the motivating then what the fux keegan gonna do exactly?

point repeated above but it needs answering

I remember the excitement when Gullit took charge. The "We Love Sexy Football" banners, the dreadlocked wigs, the "Clog on the Tyne" puns...then within 90 minutes we were stuffed 4-1.

Relevant?

I was replying to li3nz's point about the feel good factor before kick-off if Shearer & Keegan take over. Will mean very little if on their first game they're gubbed though won't it.

I genuinely believe the atmosphere will be on a level we have never seen before at this ground. I don't think we will "get grubbed" and wouldn't be surprised to see the atmosphere reflected on the players performance... maybe in a typical Keegan'esque "entertainers" wave after wave of attack, but this is dreamland stuff.... my point is the way our supporters used to get behind the team back then really did make a huge difference, as much as it is an overused saying we really were the 12th man and I think it will take a figurehead such as keegan or shearer to bring this back.

we'd not lose unless we come up against a profesionall football team who believe in ability and coaching rather than mythical atmosphere's for winning games

This is the point though. Fucking David Copperfield could manage us, never mind Mourinho - the way things are he wouldn't be able to get a decent performance out of that lot. We need more than one of these so called tactical genius phenonenon's (by the way, I think this label is as mythical as it gets) they can't do anything with our club, we are in an extremely depressed state.

By the way re: the other point about players reporting to Keegan, discipline etc, if Shearer was ultimately in charge I am in no doubt they would do anthing he said. If he told them to run through the wall they would knock the whole building down doing it.

Erm, not all players - whisper it, but not even all NEWCASTLE players - have the same pathetic deification problem with Shaerer that some NUFC fans do.

He was a very good player, who clearly loved NUFC. There is fuck all to say that he would be a good manager (there are lots of as good and better players who did not do well at all), and fuck all to say players would revere him like some NUFC fans do.

He's not a fucking magician, we have no idea what he is like tactically, what he'd be like with transfers etc. I'd rather we got an actually GOOD manager in, and acted like a proper football club, and not a bunch of misty-eyed, fantasising fanboys.

And as for someone else's comments about him being earmarked for the job - by WHO, exactly??

question - would any of the existing squad respect keegan if he was telling them what to do and they didn't agree with it?

to me this is a big factor about our next manager...we need a manager to come in and say run through that wall (not literally but you know?) to a player and for him to set off without hesitation

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the f*** would they do what he says?

What a load of crap!

They know damn well who he is, it's all about getting the players to believe in themselves and that is one area Keegan excelled in!

Would love to know who you think would be better than those 2 at this time realistically?

As Shearer has been ear marked for the job anyway!  Why not get them in now?  Otherwise the next manager will have the same problem Big sam had with Shearer lurking in the shadows and seemingly making it an impossible job!

look the point is why keegan?  shearer no worries, seems nailed on at some point but why keegan?

for us it'd be sentimental and everyone could have a tear in their eye...doesn't mean it's the right thing to do...surely shearer would be able to motivate?  then what does keegan bring?

Why Keegan is because why allot don't just want Shearer by himself!

No expierience but under Keegan he'd gain that!  I'm sure Keegan see's it as a great chance to turn us into a force again but ultimatly handing it over to Shearer when the time is right!

That way we all win!  We get the boost of having people who don't need to understand the mind set up here and Shearer gets the knowledge first hand instead of starting out at some shit pot championship side.

Relevant?

This is the point though. f****** David Copperfield could manage us, never mind Mourinho - the way things are he wouldn't be able to get a decent performance out of that lot. We need more than one of these so called tactical genius phenonenon's (by the way, I think this label is as mythical as it gets) they can't do anything with our club, we are in an extremely depressed state.

Erm, not all players - whisper it, but not even all NEWCASTLE players - have the same pathetic deification problem with Shaerer that some NUFC fans do.

He was a very good player, who clearly loved NUFC. There is f*** all to say that he would be a good manager (there are lots of as good and better players who did not do well at all), and f*** all to say players would revere him like some NUFC fans do.

He's not a f****** magician, we have no idea what he is like tactically, what he'd be like with transfers etc. I'd rather we got an actually GOOD manager in, and acted like a proper football club, and not a bunch of misty-eyed, fantasising fanboys.

And as for someone else's comments about him being earmarked for the job - by WHO, exactly??

B - I - N - G - O

Relevant?

sam allardyce had been widely regarded as the best english manager around for years, didn't stop our players ignoring him right away did it?

but the point you make about shearers a good one - so if he's doing the motivating then what the fux keegan gonna do exactly?

point repeated above but it needs answering

Shearer would learn from Keegan, that's the way I see it and who's to say both of them working together wouldn't be more effective than just Shearer or whoever. They would command respect from the players and hopefully be able to attract the players we need to improve.

I can see Shearer being the forceful one with Keegan encouraging, cajoling and motivating.

Two very different personalities in my opinion.

What a load of crap!

No expierience but under Keegan he'd gain that!  I'm sure Keegan see's it as a great chance to turn us into a force again but ultimatly handing it over to Shearer when the time is right!

That way we all win!  We get the boost of having people who don't need to understand the mind set up here and Shearer gets the knowledge first hand instead of starting out at some s*** pot championship side.

yeah, but erm, why keegan?

all good reasons for shearer (arguable) but instead of keegan why not a good, experienced first team coach?

it's a fair question - with shearer you get the sentimentalism so why keegan?  get an actual good coach instead....

What a load of crap!

That way we all win!  We get the boost of having people who don't need to understand the mind set up here and Shearer gets the knowledge first hand instead of starting out at some s*** pot championship side.

all good reasons for shearer (arguable) but instead of keegan why not a good, experienced first team coach?

it's a fair question - with shearer you get the sentimentalism so why keegan?  get an actual good coach instead....

Ok name me one that would be your choice?

For a start they both know each other, and plus it'll bring the feel good factor back and just may take away that fuck up and you're gone mentality that's been around this club for the last 5 managers.

What a load of crap!

Some people do better at certain clubs and Keegan was a good coach. Yes was but he could be great again, we just don't know. All we know from fact is that he produced the best football team we've arguably ever had in 1995/1996.

Relevant?

He was a very good player, who clearly loved NUFC. There is f*** all to say that he would be a good manager (there are lots of as good and better players who did not do well at all), and f*** all to say players would revere him like some NUFC fans do.

He's not a f****** magician, we have no idea what he is like tactically, what he'd be like with transfers etc. I'd rather we got an actually GOOD manager in, and acted like a proper football club, and not a bunch of misty-eyed, fantasising fanboys.

D - I - S - C - O

I see the point you are trying to make but it's not something I can contest with you because I have never bought this "Uber Coach" nonsense, football is a very simple game. The successful managers, by and large, have won trophies with successful clubs ANYWAY, that have always won trophies! Not clubs that have won nowt for half a decade!

Going by this logic, to appoint our proven successful managaer, we would need to find someone that has taken over a club in an incredibly depressed state, that has not won anything in their lifetime, and has brought success. It doesn't happen. Gerrard Houllier won 5 trophies (OK, one was the Charity Shield, so "only 4") with Liverpool, could he do the same with us or even come close? Could he bollocks! We would just be moving sideways.

Look at Sam Allardyce, he was meant to be good...

What a load of crap!

Some people do better at certain clubs and Keegan was a good coach. Yes was but he could be great again, we just don't know. All we know from fact is that he produced the best football team we've arguably ever had in 1995/1996.

which was more than a decade ago, as you know

man i think about how much football has changed in that decade and shit myself at the thought of keegan...think i'm probably doing the man a disservice but i doubt it

we masked having a shocking defence during that time by attacking everyone, i honestly don't think you can be that naive in football any more; not even arsenal play that way

we masked having a shocking defence during that time by attacking everyone, i honestly don't think you can be that naive in football any more; not even arsenal play that way

Go back and look at the league tables under KK, the season we were pipped for the title we only concedeed 9 goals at home all season!

Away from home was another matter, but you would expect someone to learn from that.

Relevant?

D - I - S - C - O

I see the point you are trying to make but it's not something I can contest with you because I have never bought this "Uber Coach" nonsense, football is a very simple game. The successful managers, by and large, have won trophies with successful clubs ANYWAY, that have always won trophies! Not clubs that have won nowt for half a decade!

Going by this logic, to appoint our proven successful managaer, we would need to find someone that has taken over a club in an incredibly depressed state, that has not won anything in their lifetime, and has brought success. It doesn't happen. Gerrard Houllier won 5 trophies (OK, one was the Charity Shield, so "only 4") with Liverpool, could he do the same with us or even come close? Could he bollocks! We would just be moving sideways.

who's talking about an uber coach?  i'm talking about a coach man, not someone living in a football circus

look at ferguson and wenger...over the years they've developed with a changing game, how many teams has ferguson built now?  wengers up to 4 or 5 or something and they're never the same, they change with the games demands something i NEVER saw keegan able to do with us or with any subsequent job he took

they're not uber coaches but they're good managers who have proven their ability

i'm assuming keegan, given his TOTAL absence from the game during the last few years, will not have moved on enough to provide shearer with sufficient experience for us to succeed, that's it in a nutshell

what are you assuming keegan would bring?

Like i mentioned earlier, i'd sooner have someone like John carver alongside Shearer. I think Shearers inexperiance would be a risk, although not a massive one. The risk would be further shortened by having someone like Carver by his side. He knows the assitant managers role, has been alongside SBR for a long time and is someone that Shearer and the fans know and trust somewhat. He also knows the club and i imagine would have a fair idea of what the fans want. Shearer may see Keegan as more of a threat than a mentor, which would not be good for the club.

Relevant?

D - I - S - C - O

Spot on my sentiments exactly.

Look at who we've had?

Dalglish - Failed  Didn't get us

Gullit - Failed  Didn't get us

Souness - Failed  Didn't get us

Roeder - Failed  Didn't get us

Big Sam - Failed Didn't get us

And yet

Keegan - Best we've had

Robson - Great but if only we'd got him earlier!

Now is that a bit of a trend with managers that don't get what were about? I think it is.

Bobby and Kevin knew it and they brought us what we wanted but yet the others didn't have a clue!

This is a local club for local people!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/content/images/2007/08/30/leagueofgentlemen2_396x222.jpg

What a load of crap!

man i think about how much football has changed in that decade and s*** myself at the thought of keegan...think i'm probably doing the man a disservice but i doubt it

Pundits said the same thing then - teams weren't supposed to attack so much although as I recall not many of us were complaining.

I didn't think our defence was that bad either - a myth perpetuated by the press at the time. Our defence now however.....

Keegan's not thick - he's been in the game all his life and I'm sure he can adjust to the latest changes.

I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this.

Waiting for Uncle Alan to kybosh it pretty soon though.

Go back and look at the league tables under KK, the season we were pipped for the title we only concedeed 9 goals at home all season!

Away from home was another matter, but you would expect someone to learn from that.

come on mate there's having a good defence and there's playing teams off the pitch...we won 17 games at home that season due to our attacking football that's the reason for conceding 9 to all intents and purposes

Guest Micktoon

Oliver on sky again. Will some of you lads(or lasses) please go hang about the ground and next time you see Anal go over and punch the cunt in the back of the head

What a load of crap!

man i think about how much football has changed in that decade and s*** myself at the thought of keegan...think i'm probably doing the man a disservice but i doubt it

Pundits said the same thing then - teams weren't supposed to attack so much although as I recall not many of us were complaining.

I didn't think our defence was that bad either - a myth perpetuated by the press at the time. Our defence now however.....

Keegan's not thick - he's been in the game all his life and I'm sure he can adjust to the latest changes.

dude, we did not have a good defence during that period, we simply didn't...i don't need newspapers to tell me what i saw with my own eyes

and be honest it was our inability to defend that cost us the title, not the inability to attack

What a load of crap!

dude, we did not have a good defence during that period, we simply didn't...i don't need newspapers to tell me what i saw with my own eyes

and be honest it was our inability to defend that cost us the title, not the inability to attack

Got to disagree with you there. Didn't miss any home games and only a few away that year and what I saw didn't constitute a bad defence. Admittedly it was over a decade ago but I can't remember any defensive howlers off the top of my head. Care to help?

come on mate there's having a good defence and there's playing teams off the pitch...we won 17 games at home that season due to our attacking football that's the reason for conceding 9 to all intents and purposes

Well attacking is the best form of defense!

And all this bullshit about footballs changed!  Has it fuck! Fergies still got Man utd playing the same way from when keegan was last with us!

If you're talking about the mentality of stop the other team scoring as opposed to just score more then maybe that applies to lower clubs where that's the only way they think thay can get a result.

Football is only as complicated as you make it!  Keep it simple and you'll win.

Alan Oliver shows todays Chronicle back page on SSN:

"Shearer Ready to Answer SOS"

Goes on to say that he hasn't spoken to Alan since Wednesday, that Mort contacted Shearer on Thursday to say he wouldn't be considered, but that Shearer is ready to answer the call (despite just confirming that he hasn't spoken to Shearer since Wednesday).

Then David Craig asks him, who do you honestly think will get the job.

AO then replies with an answer that we've all suspected for a long time:

"To be honest with you, I haven't got a clue".

:lol:

Fantastic journalism there. Seriously - how is that man in a job?