Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Keegan would probably make the ideal interim manager if the club were going to wait until the summer. Otherwise probably not the right choice. I see quotes attributed to him today on both BBC and Sky, not sure if they're a re-hash of earlier comments though.

they have actually interviewed him live on sky

Keegan would probably make the ideal interim manager if the club were going to wait until the summer. Otherwise probably not the right choice. I see quotes attributed to him today on both BBC and Sky, not sure if they're a re-hash of earlier comments though.

Probably just made up, as seems to be the fashion.

Probably just made up, as seems to be the fashion.

It sure looked like Keegan. Haha

I remember the excitement when Gullit took charge. The "We Love Sexy Football" banners, the dreadlocked wigs, the "Clog on the Tyne" puns...then within 90 minutes we were stuffed 4-1.

Relevant?

I was replying to li3nz's point about the feel good factor before kick-off if Shearer & Keegan take over. Will mean very little if on their first game they're gubbed though won't it.

I genuinely believe the atmosphere will be on a level we have never seen before at this ground. I don't think we will "get grubbed" and wouldn't be surprised to see the atmosphere reflected on the players performance... maybe in a typical Keegan'esque "entertainers" wave after wave of attack, but this is dreamland stuff.... my point is the way our supporters used to get behind the team back then really did make a huge difference, as much as it is an overused saying we really were the 12th man and I think it will take a figurehead such as keegan or shearer to bring this back.

we'd not lose unless we come up against a profesionall football team who believe in ability and coaching rather than mythical atmosphere's for winning games

This is the point though. f****** David Copperfield could manage us, never mind Mourinho - the way things are he wouldn't be able to get a decent performance out of that lot. We need more than one of these so called tactical genius phenonenon's (by the way, I think this label is as mythical as it gets) they can't do anything with our club, we are in an extremely depressed state.

By the way re: the other point about players reporting to Keegan, discipline etc, if Shearer was ultimately in charge I am in no doubt they would do anthing he said. If he told them to run through the wall they would knock the whole building down doing it.

Erm, not all players - whisper it, but not even all NEWCASTLE players - have the same pathetic deification problem with Shaerer that some NUFC fans do.

He was a very good player, who clearly loved NUFC. There is f*** all to say that he would be a good manager (there are lots of as good and better players who did not do well at all), and f*** all to say players would revere him like some NUFC fans do.

He's not a f****** magician, we have no idea what he is like tactically, what he'd be like with transfers etc. I'd rather we got an actually GOOD manager in, and acted like a proper football club, and not a bunch of misty-eyed, fantasising fanboys.

And as for someone else's comments about him being earmarked for the job - by WHO, exactly??

D - I - S - C - O

I see the point you are trying to make but it's not something I can contest with you because I have never bought this "Uber Coach" nonsense, football is a very simple game. The successful managers, by and large, have won trophies with successful clubs ANYWAY, that have always won trophies! Not clubs that have won nowt for half a decade!

Going by this logic, to appoint our proven successful managaer, we would need to find someone that has taken over a club in an incredibly depressed state, that has not won anything in their lifetime, and has brought success. It doesn't happen. Gerrard Houllier won 5 trophies (OK, one was the Charity Shield, so "only 4") with Liverpool, could he do the same with us or even come close? Could he bollocks! We would just be moving sideways.

Look at Sam Allardyce, he was meant to be good...

So you think all that a successful coach at NEwcastle needs is to be loved by the fans, have been a good footballer?

You don't think that experience in management, expereince of winning things, tactical knowledge, transfer dealingsm etc, are slightly more important than being a good footballer who used to play for us??

As for Fat Sam, no, he wasn't "supposed to be good". Only idiots thought he'd be taking us to the promised land, based on fuck all.

funny, ditto....

Ok so please explain how has Fergies playing style changed?

Exactly the same as it ever was

i'm not gonna look this up as i've not got time but the way i see them having changed is that they play the same game home and away now (within reason), they never did that before...they sat back and hit teams on the break away...with cole upfront and then cantona/yorke whoever drifting about

now he's going into games with rooney/tevez/ronaldo/anderson/nani all in his team...half the time he's playing one DM (hargreaves or carrick) and then just letting the rest of them play teams off the pitch, it's almost keegan-esque (the difference is his back four are good enough to not need as much protection as they would have in the past perhaps)

they're far, far more attacking and expansive now than they've ever been away from home, simple as that really...

So you think all that a successful coach at NEwcastle needs is to be loved by the fans, have been a good footballer?

You don't think that experience in management, expereince of winning things, tactical knowledge, transfer dealingsm etc, are slightly more important than being a good footballer who used to play for us??

As for Fat Sam, no, he wasn't "supposed to be good". Only idiots thought he'd be taking us to the promised land, based on f*** all.

Not sure if i would want KK but he would certainly steady the ship and get some talent back in the first team. Then when KK wants to move on we will be more attractive to the high end mamagers.

KK is like King Arthur!  He will return in the most desperate of times......

funny, ditto....

i'm not gonna look this up as i've not got time but the way i see them having changed is that they play the same game home and away now (within reason), they never did that before...they sat back and hit teams on the break away...with cole upfront and then cantona/yorke whoever drifting about

now he's going into games with rooney/tevez/ronaldo/anderson/nani all in his team...half the time he's playing one DM (hargreaves or carrick) and then just letting the rest of them play teams off the pitch, it's almost keegan-esque (the difference is his back four are good enough to not need as much protection as they would have in the past perhaps)

they're far, far more attacking and expansive now than they've ever been away from home, simple as that really...

And you say his style wouldn't work in todays football!

Man Utd have always done that, just he's got more flair players than he had before!  It's not that his style has changed

I have to say... I'm coming round to the idea of Keegan/Shearer. The atmosphere would be electric and the fans would give them time, no doubt.

Plus we'd have our next manager sorted as well.

We need a lift! And I just don't think we'd get it other than bagging Jose.

I have to say... I'm coming round to the idea of Keegan/Shearer. The atmosphere would be electric and the fans would give them time, no doubt.

Compared to Harry or Hughes this is a fantastic set up.

funny, ditto....

Man Utd have always done that, just he's got more flair players than he had before!  It's not that his style has changed

well again, i'll choose to see keegan failing the first time as fairly strong evidence that he'd be unlikely to succeed this time at the same game...and bear in mind the time and money it's taken ferguson to assemble a team like he's got now...

see to me a midfield of butt/keane/beckham/giggs compared to the players i've named in the last post is a massive change in style in my eyes, not yours i'm aware

it was basically an orthodox 4-4-2 he played to win the title against us, are you telling me that's what they play now like?

funny, ditto....

well again, i'll choose to see keegan failing the first time as fairly strong evidence that he'd be unlikely to succeed this time at the same game...and bear in mind the time and money it's taken ferguson to assemble a team like he's got now...

see to me a midfield of butt/keane/beckham/giggs compared to the players i've named in the last post is a massive change in style in my eyes, not yours i'm aware

it was basically an orthodox 4-4-2 he played to win the title against us, are you telling me that's what they play now like?

So how did he fail?

He brought the best days I can remember, Yes we lost the title but look at that Man U game we battered them and lost 1 nil to some spawny twats.

Well the title season he started off with 4-5-1 then changed it when he bought Batty and Asprilla.

We had Gillespie and Ginola on the flanks whipping balls in for Sir Les, with I think Rob Lee, Lee Clark and Beardsley sitting in the middle.

I might be naive but i've never seen Fergi as a "this is how i want us to play" kind of manager. I think he has a huge emphasis on attacking football sure but no specific type.

Back in the day he use the abilty of Giggs and Beckham on the wings to whip the ball in (not too dis-similar to keegan), now however he's got dribblers in his side Ronaldo, Nani etc. I don't think it's a intended choice. I believe he just buys players he knows to be good and plays them in a way that will suit them.

IF Keegan returned, i see absolutely no reason why he would NEED to change his style. Attacking is always going to be more benifical to Newcastle United.

Well the title season he started off with 4-5-1 then changed it when he bought Batty and Asprilla.

We had Gillespie and Ginola on the flanks whipping balls in for Sir Les, with I think Rob Lee, Lee Clark and Beardsley sitting in the middle.

i meant fergie, it's an argument about a change in his style...

He brought the best days I can remember, Yes we lost the title but look at that Man U game we battered them and lost 1 nil to some spawny twats.

end of conversation really - the team that won the title had the best away record and overall record, shit like that doesn't happen by accident mate and it's only fucken romantic dreamers that think it does

I'd like to point out that we aren't aiming for what we used to be.

When Keegan was here last time we were after title, therefore the expectation (position wise) will be far less. Right now we are looking for UEFA cup football and upwards, something which i believed to be absolutely realistic should Keegan be rehired as manager (something i'm not particularly in support of).

Without a huge transfer kitty SAK will have no hope.

Could only see either one or both considering the job if that were the case. I.e. loads of cash available.

I think whoever takes over will get good backing.

Cash though, at times, has been the cause of our problems rather than a solution. It's how well that cash is spent and how the players react when they get here.

Certainly on that count the Keegan of old made some wonderful buys and almost everyone he brought became black and white through and through.

Shearer should try and get Darlington into the Campionship before taking over here.

I disagree, tbh. Managing a lower league team is nowt like managing a Premier League team. Just because you can do one, doesn't necessarily mean you can do the other.