Toon turning to Shearer and Keegan

stozo

Alan Oliver shows todays Chronicle back page on SSN:

"Shearer Ready to Answer SOS"

Goes on to say that he hasn't spoken to Alan since Wednesday, that Mort contacted Shearer on Thursday to say he wouldn't be considered, but that Shearer is ready to answer the call (despite just confirming that he hasn't spoken to Shearer since Wednesday).

Then David Craig asks him, who do you honestly think will get the job.

AO then replies with an answer that we've all suspected for a long time:

"To be honest with you, I haven't got a clue".

:lol:

;D  Quality

What his sources doesn't know either?

question - would any of the existing squad respect keegan if he was telling them what to do and they didn't agree with it?

to me this is a big factor about our next manager...we need a manager to come in and say run through that wall (not literally but you know?) to a player and for him to set off without hesitation

our squad of players will know keegans basically a failure or won't know who he is....so why the f*** would they do what he says?

What a load of crap!

They know damn well who he is, it's all about getting the players to believe in themselves and that is one area Keegan excelled in!

Would love to know who you think would be better than those 2 at this time realistically?

As Shearer has been ear marked for the job anyway!  Why not get them in now?  Otherwise the next manager will have the same problem Big sam had with Shearer lurking in the shadows and seemingly making it an impossible job!

look the point is why keegan?  shearer no worries, seems nailed on at some point but why keegan?

for us it'd be sentimental and everyone could have a tear in their eye...doesn't mean it's the right thing to do...surely shearer would be able to motivate?  then what does keegan bring?

explain to me 'cause i'm asking...

Why Keegan is because why allot don't just want Shearer by himself!

No expierience but under Keegan he'd gain that!  I'm sure Keegan see's it as a great chance to turn us into a force again but ultimatly handing it over to Shearer when the time is right!

That way we all win!  We get the boost of having people who don't need to understand the mind set up here and Shearer gets the knowledge first hand instead of starting out at some s*** pot championship side.

yeah, but erm, why keegan?

all good reasons for shearer (arguable) but instead of keegan why not a good, experienced first team coach?

it's a fair question - with shearer you get the sentimentalism so why keegan?  get an actual good coach instead....

Some people do better at certain clubs and Keegan was a good coach. Yes was but he could be great again, we just don't know. All we know from fact is that he produced the best football team we've arguably ever had in 1995/1996.

which was more than a decade ago, as you know

man i think about how much football has changed in that decade and s*** myself at the thought of keegan...think i'm probably doing the man a disservice but i doubt it

we masked having a shocking defence during that time by attacking everyone, i honestly don't think you can be that naive in football any more; not even arsenal play that way

Pundits said the same thing then - teams weren't supposed to attack so much although as I recall not many of us were complaining.

I didn't think our defence was that bad either - a myth perpetuated by the press at the time. Our defence now however.....

Keegan's not thick - he's been in the game all his life and I'm sure he can adjust to the latest changes.

I'm surprised more people aren't excited about this.

Waiting for Uncle Alan to kybosh it pretty soon though.

dude, we did not have a good defence during that period, we simply didn't...i don't need newspapers to tell me what i saw with my own eyes

and be honest it was our inability to defend that cost us the title, not the inability to attack

Got to disagree with you there. Didn't miss any home games and only a few away that year and what I saw didn't constitute a bad defence. Admittedly it was over a decade ago but I can't remember any defensive howlers off the top of my head. Care to help?

you don't need howlers to not have a good defence

when it came to the wire and we needed to defend leads they failed, ergo they weren't good enough

that's why i used the word "masked"...we were outscoring teams and keeping a lot of possesion, makes it less likely you'll concede especially at home, as has been pointed out if it weren't for the 17 home wins we'd have been in a lot poorer shape that season, 'cause the defence wasn't good enough

and i missed 4 games in total that season so i'd like to think i know what i was watching

Oliver on sky again. Will some of you lads(or lasses) please go hang about the ground and next time you see Anal go over and punch the c*** in the back of the head

Oliver is now showing open support for Shearer's appointment.

More to do with it being a good appointment for Oliver than any regard for NUFC methinks.

Shearer fed Oliver political pieces when SBR was manager (Vaalerenga match - would not be happy to be used as sub etc) and Oliver probably sees Shearer as the manager he'd be able to get cosiest with.

Oliver on sky again. Will some of you lads(or lasses) please go hang about the ground and next time you see Anal go over and punch the c*** in the back of the head

Oliver is now showing open support for Shearer's appointment.

More to do with it being a good appointment for Oliver than any regard for NUFC methinks.

Shearer fed Oliver political pieces when SBR was manager (Vaalerenga match - would not be happy to be used as sub etc) and Oliver probably sees Shearer as the manager he'd be able to get cosiest with.

Aye, unless Steven Taylor is a surprise candidate.

we masked having a shocking defence during that time by attacking everyone, i honestly don't think you can be that naive in football any more; not even arsenal play that way

Go back and look at the league tables under KK, the season we were pipped for the title we only concedeed 9 goals at home all season!

Away from home was another matter, but you would expect someone to learn from that.

come on mate there's having a good defence and there's playing teams off the pitch...we won 17 games at home that season due to our attacking football that's the reason for conceding 9 to all intents and purposes

Well attacking is the best form of defense!

And all this bullshit about footballs changed!  Has it f***! Fergies still got Man utd playing the same way from when keegan was last with us!

If you're talking about the mentality of stop the other team scoring as opposed to just score more then maybe that applies to lower clubs where that's the only way they think thay can get a result.

Football is only as complicated as you make it!  Keep it simple and you'll win.

if you think man u circa the one-nil win at SJP that more or less swung the title and the team he's putting out now are in any way similar then you need help man, seriously

man u played a tight counter attacking game away from home in those days and were more expansive at home...think about how we lost that title, jesus, it writes itself...the won it on the road, if our away record had been nearly as good it was our title

now they've spent so much money it doesn't matter a fuck, they can go and attack 90% of teams with only hargreaves in DM and they'll still get a result

those two teams aren't even close

Conceded 37 goals. Lowest ever total in the Premier League. Surely that makes it the best defense we've ever had, right?

Yep I remember Peacock Albert Beresford Barton and Venison!

All not fanatstic but if your attcking the fuck out of teams you don't get exposed as much!

People need to realise it's not just about having supurb players back there, it's about the whole team doing there job!

If Man U had our midfield and forwards do you not think they'd leak allot of goals? Of course they would

Conceded 37 goals. Lowest ever total in the Premier League. Surely that makes it the best defense we've ever had, right?

All not fanatstic but if your attcking the f*** out of teams you don't get exposed as much!

People need to realise it's not just about having supurb players back there, it's about the whole team doing there job!

If Man U had our midfield and forwards do you not think they'd leak allot of goals? Of course they would

do you honestly we can just go out in todays PL and attack?

honestly?

Go back and look at the league tables under KK, the season we were pipped for the title we only concedeed 9 goals at home all season!

Away from home was another matter, but you would expect someone to learn from that.

come on mate there's having a good defence and there's playing teams off the pitch...we won 17 games at home that season due to our attacking football that's the reason for conceding 9 to all intents and purposes

And all this bullshit about footballs changed!  Has it f***! Fergies still got Man utd playing the same way from when keegan was last with us!

If you're talking about the mentality of stop the other team scoring as opposed to just score more then maybe that applies to lower clubs where that's the only way they think thay can get a result.

if you think man u circa the one-nil win at SJP that more or less swung the title and the team he's putting out now are in any way similar then you need help man, seriously

man u played a tight counter attacking game away from home in those days and were more expansive at home...think about how we lost that title, jesus, it writes itself...the won it on the road, if our away record had been nearly as good it was our title

now they've spent so much money it doesn't matter a f***, they can go and attack 90% of teams with only hargreaves in DM and they'll still get a result

God you really don't have a clue do you?

What do Man u play now?  A tight counter attacking game!  Same as they always have. The players are just different.

now they've spent so much money it doesn't matter a f***, they can go and attack 90% of teams with only hargreaves in DM and they'll still get a result

Bit harsh there especially as we should have beaten Man U about 5-1 that day were it not for Schmeichel. We got 78 points too if I recall correctly - heady times that seem like a lifetime away.

Are you not just a little bit intrigued or even excited at the thought of Keegan and Shearer working in tandem - our most entertaining manager and highest scoring player?

What do Man u play now?  A tight counter attacking game!  Same as they always have. The players are just different.

completely disagree, so i guess that makes you clueless?  if i disagree with what you say?

All not fanatstic but if your attcking the f*** out of teams you don't get exposed as much!

do you honestly we can just go out in todays PL and attack?

honestly?

Fucking hell you have no concept of what i'm talking about

completely disagree, so i guess that makes you clueless?  if i disagree with what you say?

Your choice to disagree but I know i'm right!

Bit harsh there especially as we should have beaten Man U about 5-1 that day were it not for Schmeichel. We got 78 points too if I recall correctly - heady times that seem like a lifetime away.

Are you not just a little bit intrigued or even excited at the thought of Keegan and Shearer working in tandem - our most entertaining manager and highest scoring player?

as i've said and repeated i can see the arguments for shearer but i'm failing on the keegan part...perhaps as much for his sake as anything else, we'll be effectively dragging him back into football and if he fails it'll change everyone's opinion of him forever

depends on whether you think he'd succeed (with shearer i know), and i'm not sure...i lost faith in the man i suppose watching him self destruct after he left us, not everyone has i can tell

Your choice to disagree but I know i'm right!

funny, ditto....

presume you're talking about when we lost the title right?

therefore 9 at home meant we conceded 28 away from home....!

As you've said, our away record is what let us down. The defense, though, was pretty good in comparison to what we've had ever since. Man Utd's defensive record that season is very close to ours, but they scored more goals away from home.

Man Utd: Home 36/9 - Away 37/26

Us: Home 38/9 - Away 28/28

Without a huge transfer kitty SAK will have no hope.

Could only see either one or both considering the job if that were the case. I.e. loads of cash available.

my brother works in a job which gives him a lot of regular contact with influential people in and around NUFC. he was tipped off last Thurs that Mort had already met Keegan and subsequently stuck money on when the odds were still very long. people said he must be mad but then they odds got progressively shorter......

he is praying that his source got it right cos he'll be bang in the money !

presume you're talking about when we lost the title right? 

therefore 9 at home meant we conceded 28 away from home....!

As you've said, our away record is what let us down. The defense, though, was pretty good in comparison to what we've had ever since. Man Utd's defensive record that season is very close to ours, but they scored more goals away from home.

right enough...precisely, a good synopsis

i'll choose to see the poorer away record in terms of not having as good a defence (over simplified i'm aware but had they been better players we'd have won the title, end of story) and other people can choose to see it however they want

but as you point out, compared to the shite that's been served up since they were magic

Keegan would probably make the ideal interim manager if the club were going to wait until the summer. Otherwise probably not the right choice. I see quotes attributed to him today on both BBC and Sky, not sure if they're a re-hash of earlier comments though.