Souness On Sky Now

Tooj

Was souness's main target Anelka? If so what are the reason we couldnt get him? Surely money wasnt an issue if we end up getting Owen for double the price, i remember Souness beng quite vocal about Anelka and it seems he was Souness main target.

However i do remeber the piece of papaer incident,that does ring a bell, so who's to say what definitively happened, fromthe outlook it doesnt look as strigth forward as ither of them want to make out but i dont understand why we didnt end up going for the targets that were widely accepted as being Souness targets.

Someting smells fishy.

oh dear. After everything thats been posted .......

Was souness's main target Anelka? If so what are the reason we couldnt get him? Surely money wasnt an issue if we end up getting Owen for double the price, i remember Souness beng quite vocal about Anelka and it seems he was Souness main target.

However i do remeber the piece of papaer incident,that does ring a bell, so who's to say what definitively happened, fromthe outlook it doesnt look as strigth forward as ither of them want to make out but i dont understand why we didnt end up going for the targets that were widely accepted as being Souness targets.

Someting smells fishy.

Not bothered reading this whole thread hence the reason i asked, man you are an idiot, always looking to take a dig at everything which doesnt fit in with your way of think, how draconian.

So are you saying that Owen was Souness's main target? Then why sound out Anelka? And what about Boa Morte and Luque?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4187080.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Owen completes move to Newcastle 

We have exceeded every expectation by signing Michael from Real Madrid on a four-year contract

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd

Owen's arrival in pictures

Owen too expensive, says Benitez 

England forward Michael Owen has signed for Newcastle for a club record fee.

Owen, who passed a medical on Tuesday and agreed a four-year deal, joins from Real Madrid for £17m - beating the £15m Newcastle paid for Alan Shearer.

The 25-year-old was keen to rejoin Liverpool but the Reds, who sold him to Madrid for £8m, refused to meet Real's asking price for the player.

Magpies boss Graeme Souness said: "I'm absolutely delighted. He was our first choice. The supporters will love him."

Owen added: "I spoke to Liverpool and unfortunately that deal couldn't come off.

"That's life. Deals sometimes happen, sometimes they don't. All I can do now is look to the future with Newcastle and hope to do well in this black and white shirt.

"I've had a bit of a head-spinning couple of days. There were three great clubs in the frame but the further it got towards the deadline the more it became clear Newcastle was going to be my destination.

"At the end of it all I thought the best for my future was to move to Newcastle.

"I have been honest all along. Just like Alan Shearer said he had a decision to make when he moved here in 1996, I have had a similar decision to make. It was a great decision to have to make - Real Madrid, Newcastle or Liverpool.

"If the Liverpool deal could have been done that would have been a big option, but in the end it came down to Real Madrid or Newcastle and there was no question I wanted to return to the Premiership.

"I want to play football, I love the Premiership, I've missed it while I've been away.

Owen says 'Haway the lads' - brings a tear to the eye

From LDG

Have your say on 606 

"It may be unfortunate for Liverpool fans that I am not there, but hopefully it is fortunate for Newcastle fans that I am here."

An estimated 20,000 Newcastle fans turned up at St James' Park to witness Owen signing for the club.

He was joined by his daughter in a Newcastle strip and arrived on the pitch with Shepherd and Souness.

Owen was delighted with his Tyneside welcome, adding: "I've never seen anything like that."

Reports said Owen has a clause allowing him to leave after a year, but Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd denies this.

"I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you now that he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract.

"In this day and age, all top players do - Alan Shearer does. But that is not one of them.

"We promised our supporters that we would sign a top-class striker and we have exceeded every expectation by signing Michael from Real Madrid on a four-year contract," added Shepherd.

Owen admitted Shearer had played a major part in his decision to move to the north-east.

"He's been a good friend for a long time," he said. "It's his last season here and it will be an honour to play with him.

I think it is a question of when rather than if Newcastle wins a trophy

Michael Owen

"He shares a lot of the same interests as I do and he was one of a few reasons to join."

"Alan was one of a few reasons why I came here, but so was the chairman's desire to get me here and the manager's desire to get here."

Shearer had even offered Owen his number nine shirt for this season.

But he said: "I would never have taken it off him. The gesture was unbelievable.

"We will see what happens at the end of season but I have been number 10 all of my professional career.

"Following Shearer is not easy. I can only guarantee I will give 100%, score as many goals as I can, but help the team win as many games as possible."

Souness added: "The chairman nearly fell off his seat when I handed him a piece of paper saying this was the man I wanted.

"There are few people capable of filling Alan Shearer's shirt, but Michael is one of them.

"Our fans will love him because he's an honest lad and a world-class goalscorer, and he will be great in the dressing room.

"It was great before but it will be even better now - we've really done the business with this one."

I don't make anything up. Has Baggio revised his incorrect report of Keegans comment at his press conference I wonder ?

Souness was a liar, nobody should really doubt that, we also were after Anelka and Boa Morte before Owen and Luque in that window but I'm sure Souness had mentioned an interest in Owen, possibly in an earlier window.

Someting smells fishy.

Not bothered reading this whole thread hence the reason i asked, man you are an idiot, always looking to take a dig at everything which doesnt fit in with your way of think, how draconian.

So are you saying that Owen was Souness's main target? Then why sound out Anelka? And what about Boa Morte and Luque?

see my previous post.

Has Baggio revised his incorrect report of Keegans comment at his press conference I wonder ?

I didn't mention press conference.

My comments were referring to his interview on the radio straight after.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread though.

Someting smells fishy.

see my previous post.

thats all i wantedto know, fair enough, i wasnt doubting that Souness was a liar, i just dont think it is as clear as that, i dot understand why in the sky interview Souness would deny wanting Owen and Luque, yet made no reference to his equaly bad signings of Boum-shlong, Parker and Emre.

i dot understand why in the sky interview Souness would deny wanting Owen and Luque, yet made no reference to his equaly bad signings of Boum-shlong, Parker and Emre.

Because Richard Keys only mentioned Luque & Owen.

Fair enough!

Has Baggio revised his incorrect report of Keegans comment at his press conference I wonder ?

I'm pretty sure that everybody else was talking about the press conference, which I quoted

I'm not sure what a post along the lines of "Is that why you agreed with sicsfingeredmong earlier?" has to do with the topic either. Anyway, as I've proved that I haven't agreed with anybody, in fact myself and Sicsfingeredmog have actually quoted a FACT, with the PROOF, you can agree that you got it all wrong now, and bugger off

I'm pretty sure that everybody else was talking about the press conference, which I quoted

I'm not sure what a post along the lines of "Is that why you agreed with sicsfingeredmong earlier?" has to do with the topic either. Anyway, as I've proved that I haven't agreed with anybody, in fact myself and Sicsfingeredmog have actually quoted a FACT, with the PROOF, you can agree that you got it all wrong now, and bugger off

You thought I was talking about the press conference when I wasn't so perhaps you should presume so much.

As for my reply about you agreeing with sicsfingeredmong, I made a post replying to the Spence in which I agree with him here -> http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48870.msg1168675#msg1168675

You then replied "desperate for attention so seeks morale support of others." to which I pointed out that you had posted a similar reply to sicsfingeredmong in this thread here -> http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48870.msg1166368#msg1166368

Now stop trying to start a flame war or we'll end up getting banned again.

You thought I was talking about the press conference when I wasn't so perhaps you should presume so much.

As for my reply about you agreeing with sicsfingeredmong, I made a post replying to the Spence in which I agree with him here -> http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48870.msg1168675#msg1168675

You then replied "desperate for attention so seeks morale support of others." to which I pointed out that you had posted a similar reply to sicsfingeredmong in this thread here -> http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48870.msg1166368#msg1166368

Now stop trying to start a flame war or we'll end up getting banned again.

I've no intention of starting any sort of war with you, this is the last post here to you, and if you mean what you say, stop replying to me in future which is what you did

Cheers