Souness On Sky Now

Tooj

Can you imagine if we had signed Anelka and Boa Morte instead of Luque and Owen?!

Absolutely gut wrenching.

Really disgusted by this.

Got to move on mate. We've signed plenty of players over the years and missed out on plenty of others.

Yeah ...

It's just shocking and so uncalled for.

Shepherd had some serious issues.

I'm happy everything associated with him is now completely gone, including Allardyce.

A completely fresh start is necessary.

Been posting that as a theory for a long while, it was just too suspicious the way Souness was banging on about 4-3-3 all summer and chasing Anelka for it to the extent that he even tried to unsettle him through the media, then for us to go out and sign Owen (who cant play the pivitol striking role in a 4-3-3) for double Anelka's asking price.

Quite clearly, as we know now for a fact, Shepherd was deciding who to buy, not his managers. Thats not called backing the manager. In other words, fucking dickhead chairman fucked us over because of signing the crock Owen when for the past 3 years we could have had the brilliant Anelka up front had he trusted his manager.

Like they say, being a successful scrap metal dealer doesnt mean you know how to run a football club.

Can you imagine if we had signed Anelka and Boa Morte instead of Luque and Owen?!

Two of my favourite players. Very irritating news. FS has moved up the Parky hit list confirmed.

Two of my favourite players. Very irritating news. FS has moved up the Parky hit list confirmed.

Is Parky on Parky's hitlist?

Wonder what rubbish NE5 and HTL will trot out now, after years of denying and arguing against the notion that Shepherd was undermining his managers by signing who he wanted.

I think Leazesmag's argument that Souness shouldn't be believed could be used.

However, I've been telling him all along about Luque and Boa Morte, and it wasn't news coming from Souness either.

If he doesn't behave. Yes.

If he doesn't behave. Yes.

That you Mrs. P?

To be fair though, Boa Morte has done f*ck all since then either.

Anelka on the other hand...

Every time I mentioned Anelka half this board in its wisdom didn't want him and dragged out the old patter about 'Le Sulk' etc

Shocking.

i worked front desk at a ritz-carlton in the states 2 years ago-

Mind you, this interaction with him was AFTER he was sacked..

he came in with his family. lovely family, wife was class and he was, not going to lie, one of hte nicest people i;d ever met while working therte.

He asked me If i watched the world cup at all, told him I watch the sport more than anyone I know over here and he laughed, asked who I supported, club wise.  I told him to guess, he smiled and said "MAN United" and I laughed and so No - and then I told him, "Mr Souness, I know who you are- my uncle used to travel to Liverpool to watch you play." So then he said, Liverpool? I said No....NEWCASTLE United.  Kid you not, the man was smiling, lost his smile, and his head sunk.  Looked down, almost embarresed, as he knew I knew who he was and what he did to the club.  He then said, You know, the Chairman wasn't a football chairman, he was a businessman.  He got involved too much, and made too many rash decisions.  Said Mickey was a fantastic player, but was hurt.  Said Shearer was a great man as well, but closer to ending his career.  Said you lot were the greatest supporters, but things didn't work out right for him.  But he continued to mouth off about Shepherd for a good 3-4 minutes.  Basically saying the same stuff.

I sensed he was throwing excuses at me...but hey, at least I know my sudden encounter with GS was priceless, I right told him i was a Newcastle Supporter and he looked as embarressed as hell.

Boa Morte has done more in the premier league than Luque though, for a lot less money ;)

True, but that would still have been like buying a Curly Wurly instead of a Chomp, when he could have bought a Crunchie.

if I hear one more time "they'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" I'll kill somone. :rant:

If i hear that the job is a 'Poisoned Chalice' one more time i'll also kill someone. That 2 word phrase has been used by about 20 different people this week  :rant:

I'd like to hear NE5's views on these comments by Souness  :iamatwat:

Every time I mentioned Anelka half this board in its wisdom didn't want him and dragged out the old patter about 'Le Sulk' etc

Shocking.

True. I remember when he went to galatasary and Bolton alot of people here didn't want him. Now he's hot, there all on him.

shepherd bid for torres that summer too, wouldn't be so pissed off had he joined rather than owen.

Aye, that was funny.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Former Newcastle United manager Graeme Souness believes that Alan Shearer would only be given six months longer than any other manager if things started going wrong at St James' Park.

The Scot has spoken frankly about the situation at St James' Park and accused 'professional agitators' on Tyneside of making life difficult for anybody in charge of the club.

Souness spoke to Harry Redknapp before the Portsmouth chief made public his intention to reject the approach from The Magpies and it is clear the ex-Liverpool midfielder would have handed out some strong opinions.

"I've managed bigger clubs than Newcastle United but, without a shadow of a doubt, it was the most difficult job I ever had," Souness told Sky Sports.

"The biggest problem I had was the chairman at the time [Freddy Shepherd]. I think he typified what's out there at this moment in time, where they're in it for five minutes and, all of a sudden, they think they understand football and want to be making too many football decisions.

"Harry or whoever goes in now, it's whether Mike Ashley really has got the appetite for the long haul. What's needed at Newcastle is not a quick fix.

"Galatasaray, Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool and Benfica are all bigger clubs than Newcastle but the politics and people who are professional agitators on the outside of the club, ex-employees of the club and journalists, seem to take great pleasure in causing the club a problem.

"The Geordie people are fantastic, open and in your face. If they're not happy with something, they'll tell you. They deserve far better than they've got but there's a percentage of that suppport who allow themselves to be wound up the minute something is not going right.

"It's like more of the same until someone goes in there for the long term and gives the manager time and support to the hilt financially, and genuine support. I certainly didn't get that from Freddy Shepherd. He's not someone you want to be in the trenches with, not just in my view.

"I think Newcastle could be a fabulous club but it's not a quick fix. What I said to Harry was, at the end of the day, if you talk to me, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Bobby Robson, there will be something in you telling you to take it or something in you telling you not to take it.

"It's hard to be critical of Harry, it's his life and he has a fantastic situation at Portsmouth.

"I'd go back with a different chairman, it's a big club and has one of the potential to be one of the best but it's not a quick fix. Whoever goes in there needs a minimum of three to four years."

Souness responded to criticism of his spending by saying Albert Luque was not his choice because he wanted Nicolas Anelka.

"I would argue my first choice was Anelka and Luis Boa Morte," he stated. "I was told when I spoke to people in Turkey that Anelka could be bought but then told he was not for sale.

"Instead of £12 million there, Luque came in for £10 million and Michael Owen for £16 million. Luque was not my decision. I was told he would cost £2 million.

"Shearer would be very popular but he'd be the first to tell you he's not quite ready.

"If he could go in with an experienced head, he could have a chance but Shearer will only be given six months longer than anybody else when it starts to turn and doesn't work.

"Kevin Keegan and Shearer would be a popular choice but I think they could do with someone not living in Newcastle. It needs someone from the outside, not to be involved in the day-to-day showbiz as it's never ending at Newcastle, it's a quite unique football club.

"My only advice would be whoever comes in, give them a chance."