Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

First of all, as said before Emma Hayes gives excellent analysis.

Second, the gender of the person commenting or analysing isn’t important, what they say is important.

If people are comparing their experiences with the experiences of the players in the game in question, then you want to compare apples with apples.

But, there so few ex players who actually played and won league titles, UCLs, World Cups and even fewer of them commentate. So, the vast major of male ex players are not qualified by experience either. A couple are, the rest not.

So then it comes down to the quality of what they’re saying. 
Having a colour commentator who may have experienced that particular big occasion can work if they’re lucid enough.

I do pay attention when Rio Ferdinand speaks for example.

I don’t mind Jermaine Jenas. But if ever started a point during a major final or a league deciding game and he referenced his experience. That would feel off.

npwwwwwwwww!

Edited by Lotus

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I do pay attention when Rio Ferdinand speaks for example.

I don’t mind Jermaine Jenas.

Yes mate that's wonderful but this invalidates absolutely everything else you said. 

I also don’t understand how someone can say they don’t like the sound of women’s voices! Wtf does that mean? There’s some women for whom I don’t like the sound of their voice. M Thatcher was one as an example. Mariella Frostrup though was a  very different experience.

It’s the tone of the particular person talking, not half the planet’s population that should be judged, shirley?

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

Yes mate that's wonderful but this invalidates absolutely everything else you said. 

Does it? How? Rio played in massive games. I don’t mind JJ commentating on a game but if it’s a game that was above the level of his career and he referenced his experience, it wouldn’t make sense. He didn’t have that experience, he can’t compare.

Isn’t that point fairly obvious?

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Anyone know how to take pennas on the new fifa?

All dead balls on FIFA have not been the same since FIFA ‘03.  That represents the peak - using the second thumb stick to provide spin.

They’re more or less a waste of time now.  It’s such a depressing state of affairs that I find that my penalties are akin to the old amateur Corinthians side of the late C19th - early C20th.

3 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Let's be real, he's right, women's smaller brains just aren't cut out for top analysis, that's why I prefer listening to Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson deep dive into Eddie Howe's gegenpress.

The idea that the average woman can’t understand concepts that Paul Merson can is fucking crackers, like.

I’m not sure when the last time was that a pundit of any type pointed out something that came as a revelation though.  Which is why I’ve stopped listening to the cunts altogether, and simply do something else at HT.  The idea of turning the coverage on more than a couple of mins before KO is also a no-go.

44 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The fact female commentators clearly differ in their style to men is why some people will prefer men. This isn't something that person needs to work on.

This statement (and Keegan’s comments) is clear evidence that it’s something society needs to work on.

What's surprising is how soooooo many men actually believe they have some sharpened insight into the game simply because they're men. Or they've had a kick about on Hackney Marshes and now they're supremely positioned to understand every nuance of the game at it's most intense and technical level, all simply because they've a pair of balls that, probably barely swing betwixt their underdeveloped pins ;D.

Most people, and therefore most blokes can barely even scratch the surface of what's involved in a huge sporting enterprise like a Premier League club. 

Yet we all, me too....post in pages and pages of threads about it. 

Are any of us genuinely qualified to appraise someone who's been employed to give analysis on the game at it's highest level?

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I seem to remember a certain poster recently saying that we were all secretly racist. 

Totally different though I'm sure. :lol:

You really think I'm going to engage with this nonsense :lol:

On 05/10/2023 at 16:35, Orphanage said:

Nothing misogynistic about preferring male commentators to female ones . 

Like saying there isn’t anything racist about preferring white male commentators to black male commentators. 

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What's surprising is how soooooo many men actually believe they have some sharpened insight into the game simply because they're men. Or they've had a kick about on Hackney Marshes and now they're supremely positioned to understand every nuance of the game at it's most intense and technical level, all simply because they've a pair of balls that, probably barely swing betwixt their underdeveloped pins ;D.

Most people, and therefore most blokes can barely even scratch the surface of what's involved in a huge sporting enterprise like a Premier League club. 

Yet we all, me too....post in pages and pages of threads about it. 

Are any of us genuinely qualified to appraise someone who's been employed to give analysis on the game at it's highest level?

We can’t make any comment on the experience of what it is like in any way shape or form.

But it is also very likely that many will have seen more football matches than many of the ‘pundits’ who share their views with us for money.

And I genuinely can’t remember the last time one of them offered insight which was truly revelatory.  ‘He should have done better there’, or ‘the referee needs to apply common sense’, or ‘the centre half struggles against pace’ tends to be about the level of insight offered.

Meanwhile the Dutch used to get Cruyff talking like this:

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

What's surprising is how soooooo many men actually believe they have some sharpened insight into the game simply because they're men. 

It's even more amazing how some men, who've played 5 a side at Eldon square and 11 a side at Blakelaw pitches, think they've got some insight Eddie Howe hasn't grasped yet. 

Duds

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We can’t make any comment on the experience of what it is like in any way shape or form.

But it is also very likely that many will have seen more football matches than many of the ‘pundits’ who share their views with us for money.

And I genuinely can’t remember the last time one of them offered insight which was truly revelatory.  ‘He should have done better there’, or ‘the referee needs to apply common sense’, or ‘the centre half struggles against pace’ tends to be about the level of insight offered.

Meanwhile the Dutch used to get Cruyff talking like this:

I can't listen to that. Not with that stupid, guttural accent. Sounds stupid. Like a scouse but I do catch the occasional word.

Wouldn't want a propa game of football ruined by someone with a voice like that...

Just now, Lotus said:

I can't listen to that. Not with that stupid, guttural accent. Sounds stupid. Like a scouse but I do catch the occasional word.

Wouldn't want a propa game of football ruined by someone with a voice like that...

Gah, you’re just prejudiced against chain-smoking Dutchmen.  

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You really think I'm going to engage with this nonsense :lol:

I don't think anyone believes for a second that you're the type who doesn't engage with absolutely everything. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

9 minutes ago, dorty said:

Keegan was the first footballer to break my geordie heart when he scored those two goals in the 74 final. I was eight :drool:

But where do you stand on the suffragette movement?