Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Apropos of nowt, I still do find it odd that there is a Bobby Robson statue.  He was a good manager for us, no doubt there.  His statue at at Ipswich makes sense.  Not at SJP. 

Agreed. Baffles me when some say SBR should have the East Stand name after him. It’s great that he has a statue, but KK absolutely needs one in his lifetime - I’m sure he’d be humbled one even if he says he doesn’t want one.  

SBR was a great bloke, a great manager. Did a very good job at NUFC. And it was great that he was a Geordie too. He did much better elsewhere. Arguably he has nearly been surpassed by Eddie Howe already however. 

Agree with KK being recognised above SBR. But what about Joe Harvey?

( In all relationships there is a thin line between love and hate - but lot if people forget Sir Bobby having a go at the fans for walking out on his team and many fans forget they were voting with their feet as he’d lost the dressing room.)

31 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

( In all relationships there is a thin line between love and hate - but lot if people forget Sir Bobby having a go at the fans for walking out on his team and many fans forget they were voting with their feet as he’d lost the dressing room.)

‘Pricks’ I seem to remember them being called for their criticism of Mick Wadsworth :)

The timing of his dismissal was much more of an issue than his dismissal.  And Shepherd thinking he needed a ‘hard man’ to sort out a problematic dressing room compounded the issue.  It is though hard to imagine Howe signing the players we signed during that era - so many were talented but not of the best character.  And it isn’t a modern thing - Brian Clough infamously used to check if a player was a ‘boozer, birder, or liked a bet’ …

50 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Aye and any fan who had a go at it SBR were idiots and his comments were absolutely spot on. We had'nt won anything in years and he came in to a club certain to be relagated and had European football all within such a short space of time. The dressing room comment always me laugh as those who thought they were above him probably peaked career wise under him and we got significantly worse after he left.

What Howe has done for us is unbelievable but Sir Bobby did the same hence why he deserves his statue. However I agree Keegan deserves one.

1 minute ago, NUFC91 said:

Aye and any fan who had a go at it SBR were idiots and his comments were absolutely spot on. We had'nt won anything in years and he came in to a club certain to be relagated and had European football all within such a short space of time. The dressing room comment always me laugh as those who thought they were above him probably peaked career wise under him and we got significantly worse after he left.

What Howe has done for us is unbelievable but Sir Bobby did the same hence why he deserves his statue. However I agree Keegan deserves one.

It’s a wee bit different.  BR took over one of the world’s richest clubs, we also were by absolutely no means certain to go down.  It’s hard to make that claim given he came in in September.  We also qualified for Europe in 11 of 14 seasons before Ashley rocked up - it wasn’t exactly unusual. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a wee bit different.  BR took over one of the world’s richest clubs, we also were by absolutely no means certain to go down.  It’s hard to make that claim given he came in in September.  We also qualified for Europe in 11 of 14 seasons before Ashley rocked up - it wasn’t exactly unusual. 

Agreed but I think the fit was perfect and no other manager wpuld of turned it around. It reminded me of fergie leaving Man Utd, no one has had same success but SBR came in after 2 big appointments and did a great job.

But that season it felt like there was a shift and a devide in dressing room and board level that could of left us in big trouble.

I think KK and SBR both go down as club legends and rightly so.

Just now, andycap said:

The alan pardew stand should be a priority. 😂 

Just because he finished 5th doesn’t mean he deserves a statue. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that he also finished 5th bottom the following season. His inability to control players with any ego (ie. Ben Arfa) sucked out whatever enjoyment there was left when watching his style of ‘football’. I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think you’re way off thinking Pardew deserves a statue mate. :thup:

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Just because he finished 5th doesn’t mean he deserves a statue. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that he also finished 5th bottom the following season. His inability to control players with any ego (ie. Ben Arfa) sucked out whatever enjoyment there was left when watching his style of ‘football’. I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think you’re way off thinking Pardew deserves a statue mate. :thup:

You on the wind up lad 😂 

When you look at Newcastle's whole history its evident we undervalue certain managers/players just because of how long ago Newcastle were actually winning things. 

Colin veitch is probably head and shoulders above others when you look at what he actually achieved as a player for us yet how many people actually know who he was? 

I think save stands and statues for those who actually reached the pinnacle. KK is a legend but I think he might be a bit embarrassed by his own standards (remember he didn't want to do a lap of honour for finishing second) 

2 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

When you look at Newcastle's whole history its evident we undervalue certain managers/players just because of how long ago Newcastle were actually winning things. 

Colin veitch is probably head and shoulders above others when you look at what he actually achieved as a player for us yet how many people actually know who he was? 

I think save stands and statues for those who actually reached the pinnacle. KK is a legend but I think he might be a bit embarrassed by his own standards (remember he didn't want to do a lap of honour for finishing second) 

I know where you’re coming from - but this club doesn’t exist in its modern form without KK.  He was more than a manager & former player.  I’ve said it before, but this is the club that Kevin built.  

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I know where you’re coming from - but this club doesn’t exist in its modern form without KK.  He was more than a manager & former player.  I’ve said it before, but this is the club that Kevin built.  

Totally agree mate, easily persuaded! Probs more hinted toward SBR era

The club wouldn't be what it is now without Keegan, absolutely agree

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

we did get in through the back door or on a technicality a few times mind.