The new Keegan era, your take on things

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big rebuilding job. We need some more athletic midfielders and some younger, fitter strikers. We're far too slow and predictable the majority of the time and dont look like scoring.

This is the exact thing we are right now, predictable.

I think once we get some key, top quality players injected into the squad we'd see a huge rise in confidence and thus good results. Its because our squad size is so small, especially right now, that the pressure is effecting some players.

Of course we have a few players that are simply not good enough in my opinion - Shola, Carr and Butt.

On the whole I don't think we need to get rid of anyone really, we just need to spend big in the areas we're most lacking. That will in turn provide a big difference in the way we play. KK and Mike know they'll have to splash the cash and thats exactly why Kevs here, to put us back up there.

I can't wait until the recruiting begins because I think we're going to be a far more capable side next season. The key thing now is who does he get in the next 10 days?

We must realise we are in a relegation battle and the priority must be to preserve our premiership status.

bollocks we are

You are in for a wake-up call...there is some coffee brewing - smell it..

Shove your coffee up your arse :lol:

27 points with 45 left up for grabs, and 40 usually sees you safe, although with the s**** on display this year, im guessing 33 points. No way are we going to get less than 13 points from 15 games.

Big rebuilding job, not a total overhaul but half of the first-team to really get somewhere imo.

Perhaps in past seasons we may have gone down with our current lot, but its unlikely with so many teams below us in a worse position that we will this season. Those who think we are safe already are a bit too optimistic imo, and those who think we are going to get in a dogfight are banking on the smaller percentages.

Last time he was here, in his first partial season, we came within a game of going down. However after his first full summer and pre-season with the team things changed dramatically, expect the same pattern this time around (without the one game from relegation bit)

Guest nufc_geordie

For me we are in this situation:

-------------------------------Given--------------------------------

Beye-------------Taylor--------------Cacapa-----------Enrique

RM-----------------DM-------------------CM--------------N'Zogbia

----------------------CF-------------------CF-------------------------

I would keep Faye, Milner and possibly Owen OR Martins, anyone else can go. Realistic targets I would say Carrick/Barry for DM, SWP RM, Crouch/Ashton CF alongside someone with pace and a central midfield player with pace and driving forwards. Could always play the Zog in there and buy another left winger.

The team is not good enough pure and simple, there is a lack of a special spark as a whole. There are only a couple of players that are worth more than being subs. There needs to be a new Ginola in there some one with a certain magic, whether there  winger or a midfielder. There has to be some wholesale changes to the team. Ultimately some players should be sold, I think Owen should go for whatever even if its a pack of peanuts, has he played for more than half a season? for now there is a need for some good players?

But Im not really that Knowledgeable about football so take my opinions for what they are.

Guest sicko2ndbest

......................................Given.............................................

Beye...................Taylor...................CB............................LB

RM.....................Faye.....................CM...........................Zog

.........................Owen................CF......................................

I think 5 places are in need of strengthening

CB - Dunne or Distin

LB - Enrique is doing ok but he is still naive. Bridge would be an alternative

CM - Creative - Deco

RM - SWP, Lennon - we need pace

CF - Berbatov

..................................Given......................................

Beye.................Taylor...............Dunne................Bridge

SWP...................Faye................Deco..................Zog

......................Owen................Berbatov......................

Not going to win the league, as it would take 2-3 years more of heavy investment, but it might push us to a champions league place.

Outlay -

Dunne - 8mil

Bridge - 5mil

SWP - 14mil

Deco - 6mil (as coming to end of contract)

Berbatov - 25mil

Total - 58 mil

Outgoings

Ameobi - 2 mil

Carr - 500k

Smith - 6 mil (there were quite a few clubs who matched that valuation, he just chose us)

Cacapa - free

Duff - 4 mil

Emre - 4mil

Total - 16.5mil

Net spend - 41.5mil

I know in reality football dosnt work like this, but i dont think any of these are completely out of the question

Would leave us with a squad of:

(i know i have mentioned some players twice but they can cover in both positions)

.................................................Given/Harper.............................................

Beye/Taylor..........................Faye/Roz/Taylor/Dunne....................Bridge/Enrique

SWP/Milner...........................Deco/Faye/Butt/Barton.......................Zog/Milner

.........................................Berbatov/Owen/Martins/Viduka............................

O0

Well I think KK has a lot more to work with than he did last time he came.

We have some really talented football players, who at their best are among the best in the English Premier League.

We also have some players who sadly just don't cut it for one reason or another.

We're lacking those one or two quality players that can provide the difference against sides that are hard to break down, ala Bolton yesterday.

Liverpool and Chelsea struggle to break teams down, but they have the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Lampard, Drogba etc that can pull something out of nothing and change the complexion of matches. We don't have anyone like that at the moment.

The first key must be a central midfielder, and a good one, not Nolan or Smith or anyone like that.

Then I think we need a winger that is better than James Milner. When he's on, he's a good little player James Milner, but he has far too many off days.

The other areas we just have to buy depth, as we're sorely lacking at the minute.

Guest DONTOONER

I truely believe we have quality, but no the right balance.

strikers:

Owen-will come good if given service and will become better with confidence( Strong Character Dont rely only on speed)

Martins- Omg he would be a keeper if only he learns off the ball awareness and some dribbling skills( could see him flourishing under KK)

Viduka- Veteran Enuff said

Alan smith- NOT A MIDFIELDER and none goal scoring striker ( Needs Shearers to give him coaching lessons as we wnt him to stay.

Bambi- HMMmMmmmM difficult call But i would sell him.

Defenders:

Carr: Sell the son of a bitch, still would be a clown like bramble on his day.

Beye: Looks quality so far

Cacapa: Whoever that thinks we should sell him should have his head examine. Gives so much experience to the younger generations.

Faye: Typical no nonsense type of defender Keeper

Talyor: Omg he still needs alot of experience, really hope some one take him under their wings.

Rozehnal: Has qualities that could make him a very good CB

Enrique: Breadth of fresh air tbh. Best passer of the ball at the club with a certain level of awareness. Only 21 omg we found ourselves another gem.( what he has is what zoggy SERIOUSLY LACK)

*Attacking/Dribbling Midfielders:

Milner: Dribbler and crosser. Slow reaction sometimes. However Promising when given space.

Zogbia: Dribbler and crosser. Bad awareness , stick him on the wing .

Duff: If used the right way could be 80% as effective as he was at chelsea and that hell better den milner and zogbia.

Emre: A player  that needs a bit of space but if played in the right way he would aspire.

Holding Midfielder:

Butt: Holding us back honestly, good stopper at times But he slows down the play much

Alan smith in MF : Holding us back honestly, good stopper at times But he slows down the play much

Geremi: Could play under the right conditions ( Conditions such as awareness of the team tactics and position of players which  we have never had since Sir Bobby lefted)

Only Proper Midfielder we have :

Barton: Awareness ,bite ,passer , goal scorer , and in the mix. 1st of all a midfielder has a zone which he can cover and depending on the player the zone varies a good midfielder not only covers a large zone but also have sight to see out of it.. Zogbia has a good zone of influence but he his sight/vision is seriously lacking to be a MF.

Unfortunately Barton is a Knob but i dont doubt his abilities as a footballer.

CONCLUSION:

We have too few passers of the ball (only Barton), too many dribblers which cant pass. All good teams have passers to untilize the dribblers. Unfortunately only barton could do that and emre that could do it occasionally. Bring in people who pass and move quickly!! Good example of a ball passer with zoner influence is beckham or solano. Cant help but to think we would have won a couple of matches with just solano in the team.

strikers:

Owen-will come good if given service and will become better with confidence( Strong Character Dont rely only on speed)

Martins- Omg he would be a keeper if only he learns off the ball awareness and some dribbling skills( could see him flourishing under KK)

Alan smith- NOT A MIDFIELDER and none goal scoring striker ( Needs Shearers to give him coaching lessons as we wnt him to stay.

Defenders:

Cacapa: Whoever that thinks we should sell him should have his head examine. Gives so much experience to the younger generations.

Talyor: Omg he still needs alot of experience, really hope some one take him under their wings.

Enrique: Breadth of fresh air tbh. Best passer of the ball at the club with a certain level of awareness. Only 21 omg we found ourselves another gem.( what he has is what zoggy SERIOUSLY LACK)

Milner: Dribbler and crosser. Slow reaction sometimes. However Promising when given space.

Duff: If used the right way could be 80% as effective as he was at chelsea and that hell better den milner and zogbia.

Emre: A player  that needs a bit of space but if played in the right way he would aspire.

Holding Midfielder:

Butt: Holding us back honestly, good stopper at times But he slows down the play much

Alan smith in MF : Holding us back honestly, good stopper at times But he slows down the play much

Geremi: Could play under the right conditions ( Conditions such as awareness of the team tactics and position of players which  we have never had since Sir Bobby lefted)

Barton: Awareness ,bite ,passer , goal scorer , and in the mix. 1st of all a midfielder has a zone which he can cover and depending on the player the zone varies a good midfielder not only covers a large zone but also have sight to see out of it.. Zogbia has a good zone of influence but he his sight/vision is seriously lacking to be a MF.

CONCLUSION:

We have too few passers of the ball (only Barton), too many dribblers which cant pass. All good teams have passers to untilize the dribblers. Unfortunately only barton could do that and emre that could do it occasionally. Bring in people who pass and move quickly!! Good example of a ball passer with zoner influence is beckham or solano. Cant help but to think we would have won a couple of matches with just solano in the team.

I agree with most of this post...what's with all the omg's tho?

I just want to know why so many people think Cacapa is crap?  Some of his performances haven't been great but he is clearly good footballer and time to adjust to the Premier League should be factored in. He is definitely not Boumsong or Bramble.

The main problem in my eyes is that we have no main world class central midfield player in which we can build our team around and i feel this is where the bulk of the money should be spent..someone like a fabregas/gerrard/lampard/scholes. Keegan must find this player as he done on his last stint bringing in Robert Lee/Beardsley. Not much out there that i can think of tho who could come in and be that central figure???

strikers:

Defenders:

Holding Midfielder:

CONCLUSION:

I agree with most of this post...what's with all the omg's tho?

I just want to know why so many people think Cacapa is crap?  Some of his performances haven't been great but he is clearly good footballer and time to adjust to the Premier League should be factored in. He is definitely not Boumsong or Bramble.

Some of his performances have been class aswell, he is imo the most comfortable CB at the club with the ball at his feet. He needs time to adjust but remember he doesn't speak English so communication is a real problem but thats with our whole defence though and he probably can't understand Shay (explains Pompey mistakes), Just recovered from a bad injury, Loss of confidence after Pompey due to the former factors and he needs to settle in like every other footballer. It's not been easy but if you captain a Champions League side you have to be damn good.

Guest DONTOONER

The main problem in my eyes is that we have no main world class central midfield player in which we can build our team around and i feel this is where the bulk of the money should be spent..someone like a fabregas/gerrard/lampard/scholes. Keegan must find this player as he done on his last stint bringing in Robert Lee/Beardsley. Not much out there that i can think of tho who could come in and be that central figure???

Denilson from arsenal, young can pass and possible to lure away Flamini...hmmm not sure about his passing but has a good zone and work ethic

Right now it's like this for me;

Given

Beye        Taylor          Faye    Enrique

DM

AM

RM                                            Zoggy

FW

Martins

I'm not to wrried about the defence because i believe we have a reasonable amount of quality.

4 players :

DM- Sissoko or Flamini

AM- Van Der Vaart or Diego

RW- Bentley or Arteta

FW- Ashton or Berbatov