The new Keegan era, your take on things

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alot of our players wont suit Keegans style of play, Big Sam was building a side similar to Bolton where as Keegan will want to build a side with plenty of attacking flare. Alot of players will need to go because they either dont suit his system or simply arnt good enough. Also there are alot of wasters at the club i.e. for years have got away with underperforming etc, they will also need to go because they wont get away with that here anymore.

Guest bluegeordie

Personally i believe our squad has alot of ability but needs a few key players to make things happen. What do you think?

Don't mean to be boring, but I think pretty much what you do. Specifically, I think that along with the KK effect, even one truly world class attacking midfielder (who is also adept at set pieces) could make a massive, massive difference to both our performances and our results. At the moment, imo we're akin to a body without a heart. 

Guest Knightrider

Individually there is ability there but where a good few are concerned, the ability has been well and truly lost after years of injuries, poor form, bad coaching, poor attitude and instability. Combinations which have effected most of the players. Keegan is good but he's not that good and I don't think anyone could turn this lot into a winning footballing side. It needs broken up and a new approach with new fresh and exciting players on the up is required.

The younger players should thrive but the likes of Duff, Owen, Emre, Carr et al are lost causes.

I can see a huge outlay on players happening soon and a season at least before we see some real quality on a consistent basis in terms of footballing style.

Personally i would sell this summer:

Ameobi

Cacapa

Geremi

And buy:

A good solid DC

Back up left back

A quality AMC

Another AM as a backup

A quality RM

A quality CM

And possibly some extra squad players.

Do that and our squad will be bigger and ALOT better, in the future i would sell:

Butt

Smith

Rozenhal

Carr

But for next season we will need them for cover.

Individually we have some good players, like N'Zogbia, Smith, Butt, Owen, Beye, Faye and Cacapa to name a few, but Keegan needs time to get them to play his style of football, which is basically the complete opposite of what they have been playing under Allardyce.

We also need atleast 4 players to improve the squad and to cover injuries, suspensions, african nations etc, because we had 8 players missing today all of which would have atleast been in the 16.

I would say bring in a left back (Bridge), a goal scoring midfield player (Deco, Scott Brown, Bentley or someone of that style), a centre half to steady the ship (Dunne, Brown), and a big striker who's good in the air (Elmander would be perfect)

Guest bluegeordie

Individually there is ability there but where a good few are concerned, the ability has been well and truly lost after years of injuries, poor form, bad coaching, poor attitude and instability. Combinations which have effected most of the players. Keegan is good but he's not that good and I don't think anyone could turn this lot into a winning footballing side. It needs broken up and a new approach with new fresh and exciting players on the up is required.

The younger players should thrive but the likes of Duff, Owen, Emre, Carr et al are lost causes.

I can see a huge outlay on players happening soon and a season at least before we see some real quality on a consistent basis in terms of footballing style.

Hmm. I have little faith in Duff ever returning to what he was, and tbh I've never had faith in Carr amounting to much as a Toon player (although he wasn't bad today). However, my jury is still out on what we can expect from Owen and Emre under KK. I think that both were inevitably going to be roadkill under Big Sam's (anti-)football philosophy, but that they may (and I stress the word "may") come good under KK. Where Emre is concerned, I'm thinking that the passing football that KK will no doubt foster suits his style. Re Owen, my reasoning is that KK will eventually get the team providing decent service to him, and notwithstanding the fact that Owen's lost a great deal of pace, I still think he reads the game extremely well, that he makes intelligent runs, and that he knows how to put the ball in the back of the net on a consistent basis.     

Individually we have some good players, like N'Zogbia, Smith, Butt, Owen, Beye, Faye and Cacapa to name a few, but Keegan needs time to get them to play his style of football, which is basically the complete opposite of what they have been playing under Allardyce.

We also need atleast 4 players to improve the squad and to cover injuries, suspensions, african nations etc, because we had 8 players missing today all of which would have atleast been in the 16.

I would say bring in a left back (Bridge), a goal scoring midfield player (Deco, Scott Brown, Bentley or someone of that style), a centre half to steady the ship (Dunne, Brown), and a big striker who's good in the air (Elmander would be perfect)

Good point, for the past 6-8 months SA has been drilling into the players to play his way so its gonna take longer than 3 days for KK to get them playing his way.

this is what we need, not in any particular order:

creative 2nd striker a beardsley type, basically an upgrade on Viduka - Berbatov for instance, david villa (dreaming).

Right winger better than what we have - SWP or Bentley or Menez or countless others.

deep lying midfielder who plays intelligently - Carrick/Veloso/Mascherano? For me Butt, Geremi, Smith are far away from the quality we need.

Attacking midfielder, upgrade on Emre - Diego/Deco/Modric, depends on what kind of formation we use, such a player may be a luxury in a 4-4-2 but if they're top range they'll do fine regardless.

centre half to build defence around - i think someone like Yobo would do well here, but i can see keegan going for CB more comfortable on the ball, someone like Coloccini who would surely be available from deportivo.

so 5 players, not a lot, we have half a good side already so we need to bring in others who will complement the likes of N'Zogbia, Beye, Faye, Martins, Owen, Duff, Taylor and Given. even 2 or 3 out of those positions would make a noticeable difference. however each signing will probably cost a lot, you can't buy quality cheaply as you could in the mid 90s. that is unless Keegan or the club unearth some young gem plying their trade in a far-off, obscure league.

For me it's the centre of midfield that is crying out for someone to make their mark. It hasn't been dominated by anyone since Speed and the current bunch dont look up to it.

So priority would be an Elano-esq player, followed closely by a Speed.

Personally i would sell this summer:

Ameobi

Cacapa

Geremi

And buy:

A good solid DC

Back up left back

A quality AMC

Another AM as a backup

A quality RM

A quality CM

And possibly some extra squad players.

Do that and our squad will be bigger and ALOT better, in the future i would sell:

Butt

Smith

Rozenhal

Carr

But for next season we will need them for cover.

Why? Just I think he is a very good player and would cost a hell of a lot more to replace than we would get for him.

We need to get real and forget talking about challenging and breaking into the top four. It is embarrassing .

We must realise we are in a relegation battle and the priority must be to preserve our premiership status.  That will be a success for the new regime. I was sure we were going down until last week just as we were before Souness was sacked.

If KK keeps us up with what he has inherited he will have done well in my view.

It is nothing short of criminal the millions that have been squandered on mediocrity over the last few years by this club.

Doug.

There's a lot of quality in our squad, i firmly believe that. We're two midfielders away from having a quality outfit. Not only will a creative midfielder help the midfield, it'll help the strikers by assisting with service, and it'll release pressure from the defense. Wright-Phillips and Arteta would be my 'dream', so to speak.

People seem to have forgotten we had more than eight players missing from the squad today. Atleast three of which should be in the side week-in, week-out.

We need to get real and forget talking about challenging and breaking into the top four. It is embarrassing .

We must realise we are in a relegation battle and the priority must be to preserve our premiership status.  That will be a success for the new regime. I was sure we were going down until last week just as we were before Souness was sacked.

If KK keeps us up with what he has inherited he will have done well in my view.

It is nothing short of criminal the millions that have been squandered on mediocrity over the last few years by this club.

Doug.

Totally correct.

We must realise we are in a relegation battle and the priority must be to preserve our premiership status.

bollocks we are

You are in for a wake-up call...there is some coffee brewing - smell it..

We must realise we are in a relegation battle and the priority must be to preserve our premiership status.

bollocks we are

You are in for a wake-up call...there is some coffee brewing - smell it..

http://www.pete-online.us/cjimages/Drama%20Queen.bmp

Big rebuilding job. We need some more athletic midfielders and some younger, fitter strikers. We're far too slow and predictable the majority of the time and dont look like scoring.

I cant see this squad getting in the top 6 even if KK appoints Mourinho and Lippi as his assistants.