Owen or Martins, why?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Martins, offers far more to the team then Owen does, top prem strikers nowadays cant just get away with just being goalscrorers. Martins will scare defenders with his pace and style, alot more than Owen will nowadays.

Sorry but that's just not true. How does Martins offer far more? Neither the stats nor watching both play back that up. They both offer about the same - i.e. about 10-15 league goals a season.

Martins is constantly looking for the ball, his natural game mean he goes after the ball and battles for it, they say defences starts from the front and he is constantly putting players under pressure, not only that but he also gets the ball in deep and runs, his major problem is that he isnt inteligent with possession adn is very slow to release the balla t right times. Which leads him to lose the ball at times (which he goes back to get again) or play the wrong ball.

Owens on the other hand is invisible when we dont have the ball in attacking areas, he rarely battles for hte ball and doesnt come deep for the bal (righlty) becasue that isnt his game, he is primarily a finisher and that is it, his link up play is ok, but again that isnt really part of his game.

For me, Owen has only one strength to his game which is finishing, Martins has alot more, but none of them are refined. The fact that despite this he's still good for 10-15 goals puts him ahead for me.

Martins doesn't graft a lot for me. This defending from the front thing isn't something he does. It seems to be a myth which people put around though.

As much of a myth that Owen is such a great finisher tbh

Better finisher than Martins imo.

Can't believe you're saying that. I really can't.

You thnk he's lazy?

I'm saying he doesn't graft that much, certainly not as much as some suggest who seem to think it's some great trait of his. It isn't.

Martins, offers far more to the team then Owen does, top prem strikers nowadays cant just get away with just being goalscrorers. Martins will scare defenders with his pace and style, alot more than Owen will nowadays.

Sorry but that's just not true. How does Martins offer far more? Neither the stats nor watching both play back that up. They both offer about the same - i.e. about 10-15 league goals a season.

Martins is constantly looking for the ball, his natural game mean he goes after the ball and battles for it, they say defences starts from the front and he is constantly putting players under pressure, not only that but he also gets the ball in deep and runs, his major problem is that he isnt inteligent with possession adn is very slow to release the balla t right times. Which leads him to lose the ball at times (which he goes back to get again) or play the wrong ball.

Owens on the other hand is invisible when we dont have the ball in attacking areas, he rarely battles for hte ball and doesnt come deep for the bal (righlty) becasue that isnt his game, he is primarily a finisher and that is it, his link up play is ok, but again that isnt really part of his game.

For me, Owen has only one strength to his game which is finishing, Martins has alot more, but none of them are refined. The fact that despite this he's still good for 10-15 goals puts him ahead for me.

Martins doesn't graft a lot for me. This defending from the front thing isn't something he does. It seems to be a myth which people put around though.

I agree

Keegan will know how to use Martins correctly. Owen to me seems like he has lost his hunger for the game and i don't think he is up for the big challenge ahead of the team. Would like to see Martins playing off a top class striker.

Guest mobiius

When does martins use his pace?

When this season under BSA has martins had a chance to use his pace. Maybe with KK's different way of thinking he may get a hell of a lot more chances and starts. i watched oba when he was in italy and yes granted he missed a few but he also scored a few. he gives the opposition defense a lot more to think about cos he will take them on and play of the shoulder and he isn't afraid to shoot from distance.imho BSA stifled everything that oba was about and KK will do exactly the opposite

Martins.

It's all well and good saying Owen has this this and this over Martins but it helps if the fucker can actually make it onto the pitch first without getting f****** injured.

Has he done 50% of a season yet? I hope some mad manager comes in with a stoopid bid for him, Not fit to tie Shearers boots he not be (mind you hed get crock doing that)

Keep Martins over him

Guest clownhat

under sam martins just couldn't play due to a) be bored and b) not so good at up and unders...

would love to see him with some time in a team willing to get him in... also some more goals like the one against spurs would be nice ;)

I'd probably start with Owen at the moment, i think giving him the captaincy and with some good players around him playing proper football, we'll see an upturn in fortunes. Martins is an excellent player to have on the bench. I'd still like to see Oba start a lot of games though, he doesn't have to have every other attacking player playing well to make an impact, like Owen does.

Owen is finished, his game was all about pace, he's lost it and now he's not even an average premiership striker when fit.

The sooner we sell him the better, the downfall is as apparent as Robbie Fowler, lets be Leeds in this situation and get something back from him and not be a Citeh and see him return to Liverpool on a free before fuking off to Cardiff when in his 30's as he can't cut it in the prem anymore.

At least by then he can be with his horses.

Owen is finished, his game was all about pace, he's lost it and now he's not even an average premiership striker when fit.

The sooner we sell him the better, the downfall is as apparent as Robbie Fowler, lets be Leeds in this situation and get something back from him and not be a Citeh and see him return to Liverpool on a free before fuking off to Cardiff when in his 30's as he can't cut it in the prem anymore.

I have to say i agree, i really just think he's lost whatever it was had. Including passion for the game.

I have to say i agree, i really just think he's lost whatever it was had. Including passion for the game.

He goes to work, does his shift, comes home and thinks about retirement.

That's all football is to him, nothing more.

But that is the one of the only thing he is better than martins, martins is stronger quicker and had a bigger range for his shot and is much better in the air. Owens strengths limit him to the 18 yard box which doesnt offer enough for the team. Martins offers more in the second half of the pitch and is therefore a etter team player.

All the better striekrs in the premiership are team players, Tevez, Rooney, Drogba, Torres, Adebayor, Berbatov even Benjani. Would you say that Owen will ever offer as uch as these do?  I dont, do you think Martins has the ability to offer as much as these?

I think he does, whether he has the brains to do so is another question.

martins needs to be sold asap

explain why?

s*** first touch

Doesn't no how to use his pace

Can't shoot

Can't beat a man

Passing is s***

No awareness

martins needs to be sold asap

explain why?

s*** first touch

Doesn't no how to use his pace

Can't shoot

Can't beat a man

Passing is s***

No awareness

I agree, but all of those things i'm giving him time to improve on. Would be mad selling.

Give him at least another 2 years.

Owen is the better footballer, and would score far more goals in a top team. For us, however, i'm beginning to think Martins is more effective. Despite him being poor positionally, panicked in possession and lacking in composure in front of goal, he gives us something. His chasing down of defenders, strength on the ball and most importantly his pace - which does scare defences, even if he doesn't know how to use it - completely change the balance of our side. This was painfully evident when he was replaced by Owen against Chelsea and again against Man City, and the reason we have looked bereft of any cutting edge whatsoever in the last two league games.

When Martins returns i would partner him with Owen for a run of games, something we're still yet to see, and use Viduka as an impact sub.

Good post, the part about Martins threat making the team play better is spot on and it's something I've tried telling people on here for ages now, you take him out of the team and we become one paced and have little threat of getting in behind teams.

I still belive that Martins can become a world class forward, he just need to sort his mind and legs out.

Stronger mind, and more concentrating when he gets the chance in front of the goal.

Owens days are over.

If he doesnt sort his mind out he will never be world class, full stop. Unformtunately it'll be his biggest weakness and i dont think he'll sort it out. Definitely has the ability to be world class but i dont think he'll ever learn to use his strength properly.