Africa Cup of Nations

Decky

I said before, underestimate Egypt and you will get egg on ur face. Very underrated team.

1878, do you still play a 4-5-1 formation? Hes a playmaker and so would have maybe played the arteta role rather than cahill, although like you say, he would have acted as back-up to him, but then again, its no shame playing second fiddle to arteta.

Feel free to correct me, obviously you will have a far better knowledge of your team/formations etc. 

It's usually a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1, whatever you want to call it, with Cahill furthest forward

We have Arteta and Pienaar on the flanks with Carsley in a deep defensive role and Osman or Fernandes making up the numbers in the middle, I suppose he could have competed with them for a place too.

International football is shite, clubs should have more power over their players, they do pay for them, train them and look after them on and off the pitch, then the NT comes along and borrows them for a bit, its just not on, especially when clubs miss players during important games, games which could decide on if those players get paid next season or having to be sold on as the clubs been relegated.

ANC can stay at this time of year, but clubs should be allowed to retain the players they pay for, if that happened i'm sure they'd move the time its played. Buying a decent African football now hampers you, pretty shit you have to think about the ANC when purchasing players from a certain nation.

It will be moved in less than a decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7194966.stm

Good, they are only holding back the careers of their own.

About the only thing i've ever agreed on with Splatter mind, hope this doesn't mean anything.  :kasper:

I disagree with it holding their careers back. In fact, it gives them a chance to show off their skills in matches televised around the world. If someone impresses in the tournament you can be sure they'll be signed by a bigger club pretty shortly. And when has the ANC stopped players from furthering their careers? The only 'big' club that avoids Africans is Man Utd and you can't even be sure that Fergie chooses not to sign them because of the ANC or not.

International football is shite, clubs should have more power over their players, they do pay for them, train them and look after them on and off the pitch, then the NT comes along and borrows them for a bit, its just not on, especially when clubs miss players during important games, games which could decide on if those players get paid next season or having to be sold on as the clubs been relegated.

ANC can stay at this time of year, but clubs should be allowed to retain the players they pay for, if that happened i'm sure they'd move the time its played. Buying a decent African football now hampers you, pretty shit you have to think about the ANC when purchasing players from a certain nation.

About the only thing i've ever agreed on with Splatter mind, hope this doesn't mean anything.  :kasper:

I disagree with it holding their careers back. In fact, it gives them a chance to show off their skills in matches televised around the world. If someone impresses in the tournament you can be sure they'll be signed by a bigger club pretty shortly. And when has the ANC stopped players from furthering their careers? The only 'big' club that avoids Africans is Man Utd and you can't even be sure that Fergie chooses not to sign them because of the ANC or not.

They can show off their skills in the summer when the season is finished and when focus isn't on league and cup competition, that makes more sense surely? A point i never thought of, but thanks for brining up another reason why the ANC's timing is shite.

I bet plenty of managers have bought or in this case not bought around the ANC, making sure they don't have too many Africans in the same position or you'll be left with nothing. How many Africans who were at the ANC moved during this window? Its stopped them moving to clubs in one of two windows in a year, and thats not holding them back?

Best team in the tournament by far. Again Egypt completely dominated, and should have been up by a few goals before they scored.

To be honest, this ACN has had some of the best football I have seen on display in the last few years. The performance of Egypt particularly. If this had been the World Cup, I believe Egypt were actually strong enough to emulate Turkey, Croatia and South Korea, and reach the final 4. Such was their organisation, confidence and pure application.

Sad it's over actually. A whole lot better than the shite served up in the premier league (e.g. Chelsea-Pool)

Caf Best XI

Essam Al-Hadari (Egypt)

Geremi (Cameroon)

Wael Gomaa (Egypt)

Michael Essien (Ghana)

Sulley Muntari (Ghana)

Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Alexandre Song (Cameroon)

Hosni Abd Rabou (Egypt)

Mohamed Aboutrika (Egypt)

Amr Zaky (Egypt)

Manucho (Angola)

Substitutes:

Richard Kingson (Ghana)

Hani Said (Egypt)

Ahmed Fathi (Egypt)

Frej Saber (Tunisia)

Stephane Mbia (Cameroon)

Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)

Kader Keita (Ivory Coast)

Best team in the tournament by far. Again Egypt completely dominated, and should have been up by a few goals before they scored.

To be honest, this ACN has had some of the best football I have seen on display in the last few years. The performance of Egypt particularly. If this had been the World Cup, I believe Egypt were actually strong enough to emulate Turkey, Croatia and South Korea, and reach the final 4. Such was their organisation, confidence and pure application.

Sad it's over actually. A whole lot better than the s**** served up in the premier league (e.g. Chelsea-Pool)

Totally agreed!

Caf Best XI

Essam Al-Hadari (Egypt)

Geremi (Cameroon)

Wael Gomaa (Egypt)

Michael Essien (Ghana)

Sulley Muntari (Ghana)

Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Hosni Abd Rabou (Egypt)

Amr Zaky (Egypt)

Manucho (Angola)

Substitutes:

Richard Kingson (Ghana)

Hani Said (Egypt)

Ahmed Fathi (Egypt)

Frej Saber (Tunisia)

Stephane Mbia (Cameroon)

No room for tournament top scorer Sammy Eto'o?

Is that your team? or an official thingy bob?

Caf Best XI

Essam Al-Hadari (Egypt)

Geremi (Cameroon)

Wael Gomaa (Egypt)

Michael Essien (Ghana)

Sulley Muntari (Ghana)

Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast)

Hosni Abd Rabou (Egypt)

Amr Zaky (Egypt)

Manucho (Angola)

Substitutes:

Richard Kingson (Ghana)

Hani Said (Egypt)

Ahmed Fathi (Egypt)

Frej Saber (Tunisia)

Stephane Mbia (Cameroon)

No room for tournament top scorer Sammy Eto'o?

Is that your team? or an official thingy bob?

Official one or the BBC one not sure. I got it from the BBC ACON part.

They can show off their skills in the summer when the season is finished and when focus isn't on league and cup competition, that makes more sense surely? A point i never thought of, but thanks for brining up another reason why the ANC's timing is shite.

I bet plenty of managers have bought or in this case not bought around the ANC, making sure they don't have too many Africans in the same position or you'll be left with nothing. How many Africans who were at the ANC moved during this window? Its stopped them moving to clubs in one of two windows in a year, and thats not holding them back?

It's too hot in the summer.

Momo Sissoko still managed to move to Juventus from Liverpool and play for Mali the day after, although he only came on the second half after the national coach was dissapointed it took so long to complete the deal and he left the Mali camp to do this.

Is it hotter than Mexico in the summer? What about playing it in S.Africa?

I think the wet season in much of Africa in June/July is more of an issue than the heat. That was mentioned during the tournament.

OK. I'll buy that in some areas but there must be countries that can stage it at more convenient times.

Aye, I suppose but it's unlikely certain countries (possibly a majority) would agree to basically never being able to stage the tournament especially since they are ruled out of ever being able to stage a World Cup for the same reason. It's a pain in the arse though, I agree.