Fitness Levels

Skirge

I think they are not as fit as needed, they looked totally knackerd yet again as they did against Bolton, yes okay we played Stoke midweek but still they should be able to handle that.

Sam's style had a lot less running in it, maybe he had such a good fitness/injury record just because his side's did not really take themselves to the limit during a game. Keegan expects a lot more from his players its all about running with the ball, plenty of running off the ball and closing down all over the pitch, that is bound to be more tiring than dropping back and shutting up shop and then hoofing long balls up field.

Its going to take Kev time to get them as fit as he needs them, patience is key here lads..

We didn't look anymore fit under Allardyce though. Countless times we've gone in at half time looking ok and come out a shambles.

Yeah came out a shamble under Sam but we also started a few games that way to under him, his style was a big part of that though , I just think the difference is style of play will take its toll if players are not fit enough to cope.

Mental and physical fitness really. Allardyce had them so obsessed with clean sheets after a goal went in it really knocked the stuffing out, and you could see that again today. I had said we may as well give Sam till the end of the season, but I spose it was best they stopped the rot asap.

Mental and physical fitness really. Allardyce had them so obsessed with clean sheets after a goal went in it really knocked the stuffing out, and you could see that again today. I had said we may as well give Sam till the end of the season, but I spose it was best they stopped the rot asap.

Think there's something in that. Once we start scoring, we'll get some belief back. Even under SBR, if we went a goal down it just spurred us on.

We need to go back to Black.

Said before I think we could do a lot worse. Sacked by the Falcons recently too. And that was for standing up to the owner for cutting costs - trying to get the players to go down south for away games on the day instead of the night before. Johnny Wilkinson still works with him which says a lot. Very good on the sports psychology side, not just the fitness.

Me Dad used to knock about with him when they were young. He lost loads of weight too.

Sure your dad doesn't want you to be discussing his weight on a forum as such like. ;)

Good point :razz:

Guest DCI Gene Hunt

Getting Steve Black on board again is a no-brainer, I hope the majority of Allardyce's backroom staff are kept too.  I read in one of the nationals that Spurs under Ramos do morning/afternoon double training sessions. NUFC should do the same if they aren't already.

Guest Brendan_Rice

I agree about the fitness levels, the team just isn't up to the pace of the premiership at the minute.  Hopefully Kev can get this right in the coming weeks.

I really think we are missing a couple of players in key positions that would turn this team round.  We need a creative centre midfielder with plenty of energy and can mix it.  I think Tim Cahill would fit the bill perfect but the chances of us getting him are nill.

Smith just isn't good enough for me, and today against Arsenal it showed.  He got his head to it a few times but never looked like scoring or threading a clinical pass through for Owen.  We need a striker with a bit of vision, a hunger to get the ball and knows what direction the goal is.

I hate to say it but I have already wrote this season off and pray we get the players in to make us a contender for the European places next season.  It is a big ask of Keegan and we all hope he can turn this round.

I agree about the fitness levels, the team just isn't up to the pace of the premiership at the minute.  Hopefully Kev can get this right in the coming weeks.

I really think we are missing a couple of players in key positions that would turn this team round.  We need a creative centre midfielder with plenty of energy and can mix it.  I think Tim Cahill would fit the bill perfect but the chances of us getting him are nill.

Smith just isn't good enough for me, and today against Arsenal it showed.  He got his head to it a few times but never looked like scoring or threading a clinical pass through for Owen.  We need a striker with a bit of vision, a hunger to get the ball and knows what direction the goal is.

I hate to say it but I have already wrote this season off and pray we get the players in to make us a contender for the European places next season.  It is a big ask of Keegan and we all hope he can turn this round.

cahills about as creative as nicky butt, I still think Matias Fernandez from Villareal would be a good shout, hell of a player.

I haven't really noticed a problem with fitness levels tbh. If we're talking about yesterday, Arsenal must be the most exhausting team to play against, the way they move the ball around.

There's a shortage of pace throughout the side, that's clear. I'd put that down to the particular players, though, not the training.

I haven't really noticed a problem with fitness levels tbh. If we're talking about yesterday, Arsenal must be the most exhausting team to play against, the way they move the ball around.

There's a shortage of pace throughout the side, that's clear. I'd put that down to the particular players, though, not the training.

Not on about pace or chasing Arsenal around the pitch, our entire style of play has changed, we now have more movement and running with the ball, Sam did not have us running around as much, there was less spent energy. Now with KK its all about having a go and giving your all, problem is there all runs out after an hour..

• 1 month later...

Getting Steve Black on board again is a no-brainer, I hope the majority of Allardyce's backroom staff are kept too.  I read in one of the nationals that Spurs under Ramos do morning/afternoon double training sessions. NUFC should do the same if they aren't already.

We do and the difference is obvious.We would never has coped with extra time under Jol as we did on Sunday  Probably the most conspicuous is Malbranque who was always getting substituted aroung the hour mark as he ran out of speed.  Now he's almost like a different player.  Since the media have picked up on our double training sessions, I see that Reading and Wigan are doing them too.

Ramos so far met the players half way at the moment but next season the sessions will be longer in the way he operated at Sevilla.

We do and the difference is obvious.We would never has coped with extra time under Jol as we did on Sunday  Probably the most conspicuous is Malbranque who was always getting substituted aroung the hour mark as he ran out of speed.  Now he's almost like a different player.  Since the media have picked up on our double training sessions, I see that Reading and Wigan are doing them too.

Ramos so far met the players half way at the moment but next season the sessions will be longer in the way he operated at Sevilla.

So it's nowt to do with those teams being utter shit and in the middle of a relegation battle, and everything to do with copying Carling Cup Champions Tottenham HotspurTM?

Alright.

I dont class double training sessions for teams that are losing or have changed manager or making the food players eat healthy as ground breaking.  I would like to think that is obvious.

I also doubt the brilliance of Steve Black the Falcons forwards have been the weakest pack going for years & Robbie Morris looked like one of the most unfit professional sports people I have ever seen. He is good motivator & sounding board for Wilko though that is a given.