Our new youth Policy

BONTEMPI

who is in charge of coaching at the academy ?

pointless bringing in kids from round the world if we have a pillock coaching them

Joe Joyce runs the Academy, I'd assume he does some coaching.

It was pretty much established under Roeder that Joyce was more of an administrator than a coach. The idea was that he would coach the coaches.

Aye, so the coaches have to follow his lead... how do you think they do that? By watching demonstrations and stuff, most likely, because that's how it usually works. You can't really teach coaching from bits of paper. I'd assume he'd get involved in some hands-on stuff at some point, mind, otherwise he's just a fucking secretary.

Maybe he goes out there, puts on some sessions and says "this is how I want things done"?

You'd also assume the bloke is present at most coaching sessions in some capacity, otherwise you'd have to wonder how he fills in his day, which is basically a 9-5 job from what he told me in Kingston Park's Tesco a year or two back.

We've currently got James Troisi sitting on the bench, who is in the Australian squad for the WCQ games. We've also got Lua Lua and Carrol I think, who seemed to have some promise. We need to start giving these kind of youngsters a run in the first team, rather than sending out badly out of form players like Smith. I don't understand how Smith gets out on the field against Arsenal a few days after he took an absolute bath against them. If we want to have a youth system we also need to be willing to take a risk and play the youngsters sometimes.

Smith the easy one to target again?

I can think of 5 or 6 who were worse than him.

We've currently got James Troisi sitting on the bench, who is in the Australian squad for the WCQ games. We've also got Lua Lua and Carrol I think, who seemed to have some promise. We need to start giving these kind of youngsters a run in the first team, rather than sending out badly out of form players like Smith. I don't understand how Smith gets out on the field against Arsenal a few days after he took an absolute bath against them. If we want to have a youth system we also need to be willing to take a risk and play the youngsters sometimes.

Aye, in the entire world, maybe.

He isn't the only one playing badly, but I used him as an example as we have Carrol and Troisi on the bench, ready for a shot in the first team and they aren't getting it even though Smith doesn't look like he'll ever break down a defence.

I am very happy with the new set up and emphasis on youth, but my concern is do we have the coaches to bring the best out of the youngplayers, arsenal have a superior set of coaches and a superior scouting network to ours, i dont belive it will take that long to get a set up to match arsenals, Chelsea did it in a couple of years.

My main concern though is that nufc have a history of not getting the best out of there younger players and blooding them too early, if you look at the youth that arsenal have brought in, they are usually close to being the complete level headed article on the pitch because Wenger only makes sure they play when they are ready, there arent many mistakes made by Arsenal players which are attributed to "being inexperienced" that to me is not down to the players being superior, but because the coaching is close to perfect.

chelsea did what exactly? whenever they need a player to fill in for an injured one they go to the transfer market and buy.

Chelsea have a very good youth set up and have been gearing themselves towards bringin inthe best youth for along time, they stole the priceless Frank Arnesen off Supds. They have said that they are looking to be a self sufficient club by the year 2017(?) meaning they wont have to rely on Abramovichs Billions.

Guest johnnyappleseed

so 2017 we should see some chelsea players make their professional debuts with the club. i suspect that chelsea can talk a good game about signing all these young players, but the true best and brightest won't sign with a club that has shown they don't look to their young players to fill in gaps in the squad.

so 2017 we should see some chelsea players make their professional debuts with the club. i suspect that chelsea can talk a good game about signing all these young players, but the true best and brightest won't sign with a club that has shown they don't look to their young players to fill in gaps in the squad.

Not quite, by 2017(or whenever it is) they wont be looking to rely on Abramovichs billions meaning thy will invest using there own money, meaning they need to be able to spend as much as they have been. The days of £70m spent in one window will disappear, that to me suggests they will rely more on there youth as well as reasonable financial power. They have brought a lot in youth.

By that time, they wont have the fiancila power to spend whatever they want on whatever player, how do you think investing youth will help them out when those times come?

who is in charge of coaching at the academy ?

pointless bringing in kids from round the world if we have a pillock coaching them

Joe Joyce runs the Academy, I'd assume he does some coaching.

It was pretty much established under Roeder that Joyce was more of an administrator than a coach. The idea was that he would coach the coaches.

It's going back a few nears now, but Joe Joyce coached me :)

Guest johnnyappleseed

Not quite, by 2017(or whenever it is) they wont be looking to rely on Abramovichs billions meaning thy will invest using there own money, meaning they need to be able to spend as much as they have been. The days of £70m spent in one window will disappear, that to me suggests they will rely more on there youth as well as reasonable financial power. They have brought a lot in youth.

By that time, they wont have the fiancila power to spend whatever they want on whatever player, how do you think investing youth will help them out when those times come?

well when you invest in top quality youth, those players have a "must be in the first team by" date on them. so you can spend all the money you want signing 16 year olds but if they aren't getting first team games by 20 they will want to move on. they'll have to keep starting over because the previous batch will move on and then the quality of your youth signings drops because the players and their advisors know which clubs are developing young stars.

Joe Joyce is hands on coaching but  Kenny Wharton runs the team on match day. Joe has implement more coaches at pre-academy level. A lot ITK's at local schoolboy & boys club level dont rate Joyce at all. 

The winners of 2002 & 2003 PFA Young Player Of The Year were Newcastle players & we signed the 2004 winner. I very much doubt the new procedure or plans will produce anything like that.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but the examples of Scott Parker, SWP, Steve Sidwell, etc, suggest otherwise.

well when you invest in top quality youth, those players have a "must be in the first team by" date on them. so you can spend all the money you want signing 16 year olds but if they aren't getting first team games by 20 they will want to move on. they'll have to keep starting over because the previous batch will move on and then the quality of your youth signings drops because the players and their advisors know which clubs are developing young stars.

What are you arguing here? That Chelsea's set up didnt take long to  set up, or that they are bearing fruits of there youth set up already? All i said in my original post was that it didnt take long to set up, which is contrary to what other people are saying. We have to start somewhere. And if Chelsea start to make money by selling produts of there youth set up, like arsenal do, then they're in a win win situation becasue they either have top class first teamers or very very good youth with a big price.

Without going overboard...remember when Dalglish tried a similar route after Keegan had knackered the reserve set-up and he had to bring in the likes of Pinas, Gudjonsson, Serrant & Brady.

At last someone else reckons Tozer, Fabbywhatever, Ngo & Kadar are more than likely to be like the above than Arsenal young sigings.

Without going overboard...remember when Dalglish tried a similar route after Keegan had knackered the reserve set-up and he had to bring in the likes of Pinas, Gudjonsson, Serrant & Brady.

At last someone else reckons Tozer, Fabbywhatever, Ngo & Kadar are more than likely to be like the above than Arsenal young sigings.

I've not said that at all. :lol:

Just saying no-one knows, but don't go overboard, and don't have a go at it before we see what happens.

I've not said that at all. :lol:

I know you didnt but I knew what you were getting at :razz: : O0 :lol:

- sorry I hit the send button way to early. At least we're trying something proven to work elsewhere, and we're not talking years and years- it's not uncommon anymore 16/17 year-olds playing in first team sides. It's a low-priced investment and the likelihood is surely that at least one of them will become a first-team player.

Youth policies are going to become even more important.

So many clubs with so much money, and so difficult to sign new players, growing (or developing, at least) your own is going to become more important.

Our youth team beat Ipswich 5-0 to reach the semis of the FA Youth Cup this week. We already know who our next crop are going to be - Delfouneso, Allbrighton, Bannan, Forrester to name just four.

They won't all make it, in fact  most of them won't, but if one of them turns out to be an Agbonlahor, it will make it all worth it.

Incidentally, they don't even have to end up playing in your first team. Steven Davies - 4m to Fulham, for example. That's useful money.

So many clubs with so much money, and so difficult to sign new players, growing (or developing, at least) your own is going to become more important.

Our youth team beat Ipswich 5-0 to reach the semis of the FA Youth Cup this week. We already know who our next crop are going to be - Delfouneso, Allbrighton, Bannan, Forrester to name just four.

They won't all make it, in fact  most of them won't, but if one of them turns out to be an Agbonlahor, it will make it all worth it.

Incidentally, they don't even have to end up playing in your first team. Steven Davies - 4m to Fulham, for example. That's useful money.

whats "tyres" from spaced doing in your av ?

Delfouneso looks like a really serious prospect, I won't count Forrester cos you stole him from Watford! :razz:

You're right about the success ratio, one Premier League quality player every other year would be a good return and that's what the Academies are hoping for.  The running costs get covered by the sales of the players who aren't good enough for your team but are ok for a lesser PL or Championship team.  There's a high percentage of clubs in the top 2 divisions who have players who have passed through the Arsenal Academy.

Wasn't Forrester poached from another club?

I'm happy with the youth signings:

Kadar - From Hungarian club Zalaegerszegi and is a defender. He has made it into the Hungary U21 squad.

Ngo Baheng - Signed from Le Havre and is of French/Congolese descent. He is a striker.

Tozer - Defender who has some experience with Swindon.

Soderberg - Swedish goalkeeper who has signed from BK Hacken.

Zamblera - Italian U18 striker who has signed from Atalanta.

I would think that we will see lots of local players leave the club in the near future (those who have been around for ages and never looked likely to feature at first team level similar to Gate when he was here).

I won't count Forrester cos you stole him from Watford! :razz:

I know, that's why i said "or developing, at least" ;) get them in, work on them. He's still miles from any sort of finished product, and very young, but we can make him better.

whats "tyres" from spaced doing in your av ?

*gasp*

How very dare you!