Referees : 'We hate Newcastle United' thread

Nobody

The one where smith got fouled the kicked in the back, ref plays on but doesn't go back to book the boro player. I know being a ref is hard etc but when they are so inconsistent with their decisions its a joke.

Didn't have a clue, looked terrified the whole game and was putting up with a load of shit from one of their lot (Huth?) All match. Nowt wrong with our first goal and their 'goal' was offside (although that was the linesman's call)

Knew it was going to be bad from early on when Emre I think it was, got clipped from behind and the ref did nothing about it. Emre went chasing after him, screaming at him.. had visions of more Stoke style retribution

Think they went out early on to thump our midfield and sadly the ref let them get away with it

Guest wuthering ballsack

Also, there was another point when the referee played advantage to us and Barton was played in (granted he was only on halfway). He then, mysteriously, pulled it back and gave the free kick. I couldn't believe my eyes. Ridiculous decisions all round.

Also, there was another point when the referee played advantage to us and Barton was played in (granted he was only on halfway). He then, mysteriously, pulled it back and gave the free kick. I couldn't believe my eyes. Ridiculous decisions all round.

not sure he did play the advantage on that occasion. just play was very late in stopping.

not sure he did play the advantage on that occasion. just play was very late in stopping.

Wey he should have played advantage!

Guest wuthering ballsack

If you stop the play that late, surely you are indicated that you are seeing if there is an advantage? (not sure if he did the daft arm wave thingy like)

he should have,i agree. referees are notoriously the only people on the planet who don't understand the advantage rule. today he had numerous occasions to use and used it once.

Guest wuthering ballsack

At one point Viduka was fouled and the ball ran to Duff. 'Advantage' was played. With Duff surrounded by three red shirts and his only nearby team-mate on the deck. Nice one ref, thanks.

Aye, I remember that clearly as everyone round me went absolutely mental.

Seriously, if we were the likes of Man United or Arsenal, this refereeing display would be all over the media, and he'd be demoted to the lower leagues for a spell.

he should have,i agree. referees are notoriously the only people on the planet who don't understand the advantage rule. today he had numerous occasions to use and used it once.

Ironic really. Considering they're the ones who have to award it :lol:

If there's one thing you can take for granted every season the smogs come here. Schwarzer always produces one clanger from a high cross. That was it when the Owen goal was disallowed. Over the years we've benefitted from their knacker of a keeper.

Dean got it horribly wrong.  :rolleyes:

Guest wuthering ballsack

If there's one thing you can take for granted every season the smogs come here. Schwarzer always produces one clanger from a high cross. That was it when the Owen goal was disallowed. Over the years we've benefitted from their knacker of a keeper.

Dean got it horribly wrong.  :rolleyes:

Caldwell and Bellamy will back this up :lol:

Dean got it horribly wrong.   :rolleyes:

Caldwell and Bellamy will back this up :lol:

Eggsactly.  :lol:

Awful performance.  As rubbish as he was excellent when Arsenal came up here in December.

A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.  That and actually getting decisions right like.

Awful performance.  As rubbish as he was excellent when Arsenal came up here in December.

A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss.  That and actually getting decisions right like.

he played 1 great advantage ,saw where the play led,realised the advantage hadnt played out and brought the play back///well done...too few refs do this. but then blew early consistently throughout and ignored adavantage for the rest of the game.

he played 1 great advantage ,saw where the play led,realised the advantage hadnt played out and brought the play back///well done...too few refs do this. but then blew early consistently throughout and ignored adavantage for the rest of the game.

There was one "advantage" he played where the ball was played square, then we misplaced a pass (shock horror), yet he got us out of jail by pulling it back, probably outside the timeframe in which he should have.

Advantage is overused and overrated. 

There was one "advantage" he played where the ball was played square, then we misplaced a pass (shock horror), yet he got us out of jail by pulling it back, probably outside the timeframe in which he should have.

was it getting us out of gaol or was it using the rule as it should be used ?

advantage is underused and underated because refs are loathe to bring back play when the advantage brakes down(even within the timeframe)

was it getting us out of gaol or was it using the rule as it should be used ?

advantage is underused and underated because refs are loathe to bring back play when the advantage brakes down(even within the timeframe)

In that respect I completely agree with you.  But too many advantages are played when it leads to the ball being played backwards or square across the back 4, or into a blind alley.

In this instance, I think too long had passed since he played the complete non-advantage for him to pull it back.  He should have just stopped play straight away and booked the lad (forget who) for the foul.

During that Arsenal game I mentioned before, the same referee played a great advantage for Arsenal (for a foul by Beye), then when Beye was himself fouled a couple of moments later, he was himself cautioned.  It doesn't happen often enough.

Jesus wept at this thread tbh. :jesuswept:

Care to elaborate?

Did you honestly not feel cheated yesterday? Not just the goals, but they could do pretty much whatever they wanted to our players while if we even attempted to tackle them, he would stop play.

And like Dave suggested, the title is obviously tongue-in-cheek, a play on the media-thread, but the points made in the thread are spot on.

On another note, did anyone else notice that they kept replaying the foul on N'Zogbia which led to our goal? As if it looked like he dived, when he clearly was fouled?

Guest sittingontheball

Someone mentioned it again recently, but the ref missing Fat Eddie Murphy punch it into the net set the ball in motion for SBR getting the sack. We would have won that game otherwise, and so wouldn't have started that season with two defeats and two draws, which was when the axe fell. If anyone can point out a refereeing decision in our favour that evened that one out, I'd like to hear it.

I don't want to tempt fate, but I just hope the poor decisions we've had recently don't have anything like that kind of impact.  Focusing on the obvious ones, Chelsea's (ridiculously) offside goal robbed us of a point there, and I think we lost another two points yesterday. An early goal is what we needed and was what we scored. At the end of the season, I hope those three points don't matter. I know we're shite but that doesn't mean we should have to score two to have one count.

It wasn't a refereeing decision, but I think the FA were spineless for not banning Adebayor. I don't for a second think we would have got anything out of either game, but he shouldn't have been playing. A lot of other players at a lot of other clubs wouldn't have got away with it.

All three officials had a nightmare today, Smith hauled down right  in front of the linesman and he did'nt give it, Ref did but he just ignored it.

Three disallowed goals for us, 1st one a shocking decision, 2nd one yeah okay it went out of play but I am not 100% convinced Duff was offside for his one. A handball in the box we see given all the time but not for us

Two offside for their goal and also it looked like a foul throw too that lead to their goal.

And then there was all the fouls on Emre, Smith and Owen that were ignored.