England team for Wednesday - Owen dropped

Dave

Owen dropped according to the morning rags.

Doesn't warrant his place on form so fair enough.

Would be a strange drop though tbf, i mean he was picked, after he was picked he scores in a game for us, then is dropped.

Could be a good motivational technique tbf.

Expected team according to the BBC:

James

Brown Ferdinand Upson A.Cole

Bentley Gerrard Hargreaves Young

J.Cole

Rooney

Leaving Richards out is a surprise, and I'm not sure we're going to get on the end of too many crosses. It highlights the fact that England are a bit short of top-class strikers at the moment.

At least Capello has finally given the media permission to say what many within the game have been muttering in private - that Owen is not the player he was and we should be looking for alternatives.

Guest toonlass

I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about England, and my national team aint playing this week so its just a boring midweek for me. Hope Owen is left out though, might make him more interested in giving a toss about Newcastle games, where he still looks disinterested in my opinion.

Didn't Capello say that the players would not find out his teams until the last meal before agame?

Supposed to be finding out on the bus on the way there or something like that. Gerrard being the only one certain of starting.

Didn't Capello say that the players would not find out his teams until the last meal before agame?

Supposed to be finding out on the bus on the way there or something like that. Gerrard being the only one certain of starting.

Not saying it's one way or another, but according to the BBC report, the press seem to have announced todays team based on the bibs players were wearing yesterday.

Not saying it's one way or another, but according to the BBC report, the press seem to have announced todays team based on the bibs players were wearing yesterday.

You have to hope that was a bluff. Not because of the team but because it would be amusing if the press were completely wrong.

At last, a manager who doesn't put reputation/hype before ability. I can bet you anything that had an English manager been named manager, Richards, Woodgate, Beckham & Owen would have been in there ahead of Brown, Upson, Bentley & Young.

Am I the only one astounded if Richards is left out for both Brown and Upson?

At last, a manager who doesn't put reputation/hype before ability. I can bet you anything that had an English manager been named manager, Richards, Woodgate, Beckham & Owen would have been in there ahead of Brown, Upson, Bentley & Young.

Am I the only one astounded if Richards is left out for both Brown and Upson?

Just a friendly though, maybe he wants to try different players out?