Aston Villa 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/08 - post match reaction from page 24

midds

Given's kicking is pissing me off more and more. Truly awful.

It's not his fault that he keeps getting passed the ball with either the wrong weight, or to his wrong foot.

As for the second half, I'd much rather see Faye on because I'm still worried we're going to concede.

I'd almost go out to start the second half attacking, in the hope that we can get a second goal to kill the game off, because I can't see us holding out the second half without conceding.

Don't think Milner has been "painfully slow" in that half tbh.

I do, without a doubt. Main example is that bit where he skinned Bouma... Bouma was on the floor five yards away from him yet still got back to make an easy tackle as Milner approached the box.

Guest neesy111

How has Smith been doing?

Doing his job well.

i think he's been crap, he's just too slow on the ball and passing has been terrible

Got to keep fighting to win balls back in midfield like we've been doing and then keep the ball like we've not been doing.

Smith and Owen are vital to just annoy their defenders and rush them into pumping balls forward rather than patient passing down the wings.

Howay the Toon

It's not his fault that he keeps getting passed the ball with either the wrong weight, or to his wrong foot.

I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks. At least three were passed along the ground back to his right side and with little or no pressure, he whacked them straight out for a throw.

Viewing the Barton one from different angles gives different opinions. The slow-mo from the front looks very dodgy, but the other one from above looks like it would have been harsh.

Hard one for the ref to give. Was going about 70 mph. I'm not a fan of giving penalties for handball personally, unless it's blatantly deliberate.

Viewing the Barton one from different angles gives different opinions. The slow-mo from the front looks very dodgy, but the other one from above looks like it would have been harsh.

His arms weren't really outstretched from the looks of things. Would have been a bit harsh imo but wouldn't have harped on overly much if the penalty had been given.

The referee seems to have been quite kind to us today, from what i can see. Which is a nice change.

I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks. At least three were passed along the ground back to his right side and with little or no pressure, he whacked them straight out for a throw.

Well I'm afraid you can't count.

Guest neesy111

Hard one for the ref to give. Was going about 70 mph. I'm not a fan of giving penalties for handball personally, unless it's blatantly deliberate.

you've just answered the question as the rule is deliberate hand-ball, and he didn't have any time to move his arms away

Apologies, two went out for throws, the other he tried to control and put himself in the shit.

Bottom line, his kicking is not good enough.

I think we could do with Faye either in midfield or defence, we are letting the ball bounce from long punts forward too much, Cacapa has had to make too many last gasp clearances that could have been dealt with earlier. Would also like to see Butt and Barton swap. Appears Butt is getting forward more but should be the other way round, Barton made some fantastic runs last week when given a bit more of a chance in attack. Smith is doing well but needs to get his head up earlier when he has the ball at feet, a couple of times he could have released players but took the ball backwards. Lots of moaning there but overall i'm delighted, the game is there for the taking if they have a bit of faith in themselves.

Given's kicking is utterly woeful. Really, really, really bad.

Made one or two good stops though. Harper would have stopped them too though and he's got to be given a chance soon. We lose possession so much when Given's got the ball.

So far the best team performance this season.

Everyone is defending together and it is making things difficult for Villa. I can't believe how Owen is getting back to tackle! Very encouraging sign.

Still a few loose passes but if everyone is willing to work hard together to get the ball back then it doesn't look as bad and it isn't as costly.

We are also moving around really well and at least showing for the ball and trying to make things happen, so the occassional dodgy passing is easier to deal with.

Keegan is definitely making a difference.

Don't think Milner has been "painfully slow" in that half tbh.

I do, without a doubt. Main example is that bit where he skinned Bouma... Bouma was on the floor five yards away from him yet still got back to make an easy tackle as Milner approached the box.

Think he looks quite up for it and playing with a bit of zip, tbh. And has an assist.

Apologies, two went out for throws, the other he tried to control and put himself in the shit.

Bottom line, his kicking is not good enough.

That's better ;)

His kicking isn't good enough, but as long as it goes out for harmless throws it's not the most important issue atm.

you've just answered the question as the rule is deliberate hand-ball, and he didn't have any time to move his arms away

Aye well that's what I mean. You see some given where their arms are up but they can't do anything about it. I don't agree with that.

Given's kicking is utterly woeful. Really, really, really bad.

Made one or two good stops though. Harper would have stopped them too though and he's got to be given a chance soon. We lose possession so much when Given's got the ball.

Grumpy bastard. Also, your point about Milner. He wasn't too slow in pace for the Bouma second tackle, he was just too slow thinking about what to do.