The Goalkeeping Situation

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

It may be worth looking for a keeper who can marshall a defence as none of our defenders seem capable of doing it.

Given is not a patch on the 'keeper he was 18 months/2 yrs ago. I don't think he'd be first choice at many Clubs at this moment in time. Seeing Harper come on yesterday made it obvious as to how far Given has slipped back. I think Harper would have got their first - it was only a minor deflection and Given got nowhere near it. I think it's maybe time to totally rethink the 'keepers position and maybe bring in a 'keeper in the summer.

Guest f***thepress

Pav is a legend , dont blame him for the club being in such dire straits that we brought both him and Clarkie back! We ought to thank such players for the glory years they provided , god knows theres little enough of that about!

I thought Harper was good today - made two excellent saves from Gardener in the space of two minutes, harsh to blame him for the third, it was the defence not clearing it in the first place that was to blame.

Harper doesn't let us down once he's had a few games, he should never have been dropped earlier in the season.

Yet again - totally agree ; I also made the same point as Brummie yesterday. We could have lost 6-1.

With Shay's game having gone to pieces since the horror tackle at West Ham last season, Steve Harper unable to hold his place in the team whenever Shay is fit, and Tim Krul having quite a successful loan spell at Falkirk(until his shoulder injury), should we continue on with Given, or should a new man be our regular keeper, even if that means bringing someone new in? I think that we should make changes next season, either bring in Krul or bring in a new keeper that can inspire confidence into our defenders.

Harper was only 'unable to keep his place' because Allardyce chickened out of a possible confrontation with Given had he kept Harper in the side when Given recovered from injury - one of two ridiculous decisions(the other was to make Geremi captain so quickly) which proved to me that Allardyce was a poor judge.

Guest justin99.

well after putting his heart and soul into the toon for so many years, a few average games and suddenly he's getting stabbed in the dark.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Given seems to think that he has the right to the goalkeeping shirt, whatever form he is in. If he was supposed to have injured himself following the attempt to save the first goal, then why didn't he come off if not fully fit? Probably worried he would lose his place again. I seem to recall him creating a fuss many years ago when he wasn't playing and it always appears that managers are almost frightened of dropping him. With a decent sub keeper there he should have put the team first and not himself.

The safest we have looked at the back was early in the season when Harper was in goal. Why he was dropped I don't know but since then we have looked jittery. Unfortunately this was still the case when Harper was back in for a few games but I believe he should be given a decent run in the team now.

The indecision in defence seemed to be illustrated just before the second goal when Given was pushing Smith out of the way. It didn't help of course and never does, as Shay does not command his area at all. Time for a change.

well after putting his heart and soul into the toon for so many years, a few average games and suddenly he's getting stabbed in the dark.

a lot of horrendous games you mean, he's been a fucking liability this season

:rolleyes:

When you're playing shit, you should be dropped.  On your logic Willie McFaul should still be in goal.

Honestly I wonder how Given can be injured by that deflected shot.

My choice would be Krul but seems like Keegan doesn't rate him, and he is too injury prone as well.

What makes you think Keegan doesn't rate Krul when he's out with a dislocated shoulder?

how we can be discussing our goalkeeper situation is really beyond me.

it is probably the last position we need to adress at the moment

how we can be discussing our goalkeeper situation is really beyond me.

it is probably the last position we need to adress at the moment

It really isn't. Unfortunately Given is now our Paul Robinson, a liability living on past reputation in most supporter's eyes who seems undroppable. Maybe he will regain his form, but it wont be this season (personally I doubt he ever will).

I know there may be other factors involved, but just look at the turn around in Spurs' defensive record since they dropped their sacred cow, 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games.

Given just doesn't look particularly happy to be here at the minute- not surprising with 11 years of playing pretty darn well but still having to experience underachievement every single year. He hasn't been his usual self this year. If he's out for the next few games and Harper performs think Keegan has a tough decision to make.