United we stand

Lowndsy

United We Stand

I am writing this on behalf of the Newcastle United fan group-Toon Ultras and Stretford End Flags, a Manchester United Fan Group in an attempt to gain your backing and/or provide you with some information about an upcoming 'march' and 'display'.

The march will begin at O'Neills opposite Newcastle's Central Station, where the members of Toon Ultras and Stretford End Flags will meet at around 4:30. At O'Neills a number of leaflets are likely to be handed out to people as well as on route to the ground.

Whilst 'marching' to the ground both fan groups will be carrying banners with the phrase 'United We Stand' incorporated on them. It is being done in a protest against the reducing of allocations for away fans that stand, as well as the 'throwing out' of fans who stand at the game. It is also being done to put pressure on the governing bodies to introduce 'Safe-standing' areas like the sections created in Germany, which have become a huge success.

At the ground a few songs will be sang together and both sets of fans will remain 'United'. They will then part and go through their own individual turnstiles. However, just before kick off the same banners will be held up, in a hope that everyone will see our 'protest'.

We would like you to stand up and be counted if you believe that safe-standing should be introduced, and join us in our bid to gain back some of the fun and atmosphere that has been stamped out by the authorities. Please feel free to join us in our protest and go to O'Neills at 4:15 on matchday, and sing your hearts out for something you believe in.

Thanks

if anyone would be willing to attend. it would be hugely appreciated and hopefully we will have a large number of people participating in this. hopefully with the match being a live on tele, tv cameras will be around the ground. which they will then hopefully pick up on it all.

if you dont want to participate could i encourage people to back this inside the ground by standing throughout the game, encouraging others to do the same, and getting behind the team.

this is a perfect chance to get things going. in a recent "sunday sun" paper. chris mort claimed he is willing to listen to fans regarding this kind of thing. its our time to tell him what we want

Newcastle United News

Welcome to icNewcastle for all your NUFC news from the Evening Chronicle, The Journal and the Sunday Sun.

Mort may call for terraces at St James’s

Feb 10 2008

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE are ready to listen to the opinions of their fans on the issue of introducing safe standing areas at Premier League grounds.

United chairman Chris Mort is understood to be frustrated at the prospect of being forced by safety authorities to cut ticket allocations for visiting teams if away fans continue to refuse to stay in their seats at St James’s Park.

Newcastle face the even more troubling possibility of being told by the safety authorities to remove seats currently filled by home fans adjoining the away end.

We revealed last week how Newcastle and Manchester United were appealing to travelling Red Devils fans to stay seated during the Premier League clash between the sides a week on Saturday, or risk consequences neither club would be able to avoid.

Newcastle would be forced to comply with any action deemed necessary by the club’s safety advisory group – chaired by Newcastle City Council – or risk the withdrawal of St James’s Park’s safety certificate.

ADVERTISEMENT

And the Sunday Sun understands that United are willing to open a debate with fans and possibly other Premier League clubs and the Government on the issue of safe standing.

Although successive Sports Ministers – mindful of the emotive memories of Hillsborough – have resisted calls for the reintroduction of terraces, surveys suggest a significant majority of fans are in favour being given the choice of whether to stand or sit inside Premier League grounds.

And the widespread presence of safe-standing areas in Germany adds weight to their argument

although this mainly started because of http://dps.twiihosting.net/manutd/doc/content/doc_10_287.pdf

Why not just sit f****** down?

Pissed me off no end at Wigan where I sat (forced to stand) in the row in front of a disabled section. I doubt it would have been fun for those using the disabled facilities to see a wall of backs for 90 minutes.

Okay mate, you're right.  O0 :yikes: :rolleyes:

Pissed me off no end at Wigan where I sat (forced to stand) in the row in front of a disabled section. I doubt it would have been fun for those using the disabled facilities to see a wall of backs for 90 minutes.

not all fans want to sit though, thats the problem. more fans throughout the country (not just at this club) want to stand. if things like this took place and were a success, safe standing sections could be developed, thus meaning the fans who want to stand have somewhere to go and not get removed/season tickets taking off them, and the people who want to sit, can do so happily away from the standing sections.

not all fans want to sit though, thats the problem. more fans throughout the country (not just at this club) want to stand. if things like this took place and were a success, safe standing sections could be developed, thus meaning the fans who want to stand have somewhere to go and not get removed/season tickets taking off them, and the people who want to sit, can do so happily away from the standing sections.

I don't particularly want to sit!

I don't particularly want to sit!

Well then, do something about it. Get yourself along.  :thup:

I've never sat down at an away game, and I don't intend to. It just doesn't happen.

I accept sitting at home games, but If there were a standing section available, I'd quite happily move my ST there, instead.

I am sure this is the opinion of many. Would you be willing to come along and join us?

Safe standing will only become reality if the government change the law, Newcastle United Football Club has nothing against standing if it's lawful but they must enforce the law, it's as simple as that.  Marching through the streets is only any good if you get publicity and MP's on board.  Marching to the ground will do no good if you're trying to get a message across to the club.

On a side note, getting opposition fans together has got be be good, it wouldn't have been possible 15 to 20 years ago as they'd only ever get together for a battle, well done for that.

Safe standing will only become reality if the government change the law, Newcastle United Football Club has nothing against standing if it's lawful but they must enforce the law, it's as simple as that.  Marching through the streets is only any good if you get publicity and MP's on board.  Marching to the ground will do no good if you're trying to get a message across to the club.

On a side note, getting opposition fans together has got be be good, it wouldn't have been possible 15 to 20 years ago as they'd only ever get together for a battle, well done for that.

Cheers. We understand that this one display will not change much. But it gets the ball rolling and can provide a benchmark for fans of all the other British clubs to build upon. By doing this one small 'march'/'display' then it may generate a movement by fans across the nation. If this does have the desired snowball effect then pressure will build on MP's and the government to do something. Everything starts somewhere.... O0

And the government will do nothing unless they are pressured by fans who believe in safe standing. I agree that this can only be good. Hopefully there is a bit publicity and our numbers improve.

Also, try contacting local MP's to join in, try to get the Man U fans to contact MP's local to them.  I know a few MP's were trying to get an early day motion regarding safe standing so you might want to find out who was involved and get them involved, I think Kate Hoey the former sports minister thought safe standing was a good idea.

Also, try contacting local MP's to join in, try to get the Man U fans to contact MP's local to them.  I know a few MP's were trying to get an early day motion regarding safe standing so you might want to find out who was involved and get them involved, I think Kate Hoey the former sports minister thought safe standing was a good idea.

Nice idea. Where would we find out such information and how to contact them?

Do a google, I know the house of commons has a website and somewhere on it gives contact details for all MP's, some of them have an e-mail address which you can click on and it opens an e-mail form.  I don't have time to find it now but could look tomorrow if you have no luck.  The site I'm on about lists pages and pages of contacts but I've never even looked for it for the past 2 to 3 years but I would expect it's still around.

Do a google, I know the house of commons has a website and somewhere on it gives contact details for all MP's, some of them have an e-mail address which you can click on and it opens an e-mail form.  I don't have time to find it now but could look tomorrow if you have no luck.  The site I'm on about lists pages and pages of contacts but I've never even looked for it for the past 2 to 3 years but I would expect it's still around.

I'll take a look tomorrow then report back, thanks mate.

Read these:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/news0018-safestanding.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/safestanding/0,8221,441632,00.html

I've looked into it before but have forgot most of what I learned after spending time researching it, I can tell you for certain that the club would have no problem introducing it other than it being unlawful and also not wanting another save our seats but that wouldn't be a problem if they expand the ground.

I'm all for safe standing areas and being able to choose wether to sit/stand.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to stand for 90 minutes. What about the elderly or infirm? Kids can't see 'cause there's a huge bloke in front of them. Before someone suggests not taking the kids, who's going to follow the team in the future if they don't go?  Away games are virtually no-go areas for the elderly/infirm/kids because of people standing.

Why do we do it at away games? It's not big and not clever.

As i say, i'm all for having a choice, but at away games you don't have that choice at present. You either stand or don't see the game.

Though i won't be joining the march, i support what it's trying to achieve. I just don't back the standing throughout the man u game suggestion.

Unfortunately not everyone is able to stand for 90 minutes. What about the elderly or infirm? Kids can't see 'cause there's a huge bloke in front of them. Before someone suggests not taking the kids, who's going to follow the team in the future if they don't go?  Away games are virtually no-go areas for the elderly/infirm/kids because of people standing.

As i say, i'm all for having a choice, but at away games you don't have that choice at present. You either stand or don't see the game.

Though i won't be joining the march, i support what it's trying to achieve. I just don't back the standing throughout the man u game suggestion.

Safe standing would get over the problem of the elderly and infirm, I'm not sure it's such a problem for kids, I had no problem in the Gallowgate and Leazes when they were all standing, having said that, the Gallowgate floodlights came in handy.

Good luck with the march I hope the powers that be take heed.  :thup:

I'll join in if they do it at Old Trafford, but as our safety licence depends upon it and the stadium gets shut if the club do nothing, I'll sit this one out if you'll excuse the pun.

Lol, as if they are REALLY going to shut SJP down because of people standing I mean come on has there EVER been a major incident where people were hurt at SJP since the extension in 2000 because the away fans stood?

I bloody hate these idiot council jobsworths.  :angry:

Safe standing would get over the problem of the elderly and infirm, I'm not sure it's such a problem for kids, I had no problem in the Gallowgate and Leazes when they were all standing, having said that, the Gallowgate floodlights came in handy.

Agreed. I would love safe standing areas. If you're unable to/don't want to stand, you choose a seat, safe in the knowledge that you'll see the game without anyone standing in font of you. Alternatively you can stand with people who choose to do likewise.

Kids managed to see games years ago by sitting on barriers etc. Done it myself. I'd rather my young'un could watch it from a seat though.

Hope the march gets some good publicity. The sooner you can choose wether to sit/stand the better IMO.

Good luck with it.

It would be great to have standing areas at all grounds in the top flight and if you could find out if there is a Liverpool group interested for obvious reasons they would have a lot of clout in this issue due to the media jumping on this story ,this is no way a slur against Liverpool fans as they have emotive thoughts themselves .