Players that need to go and players that have to stay

Guest Brazilianbob

i would retain Given, Harper, Faye, Cacapa, Beye, Enrique, N'Zogbia and Martins..

although we all know it doesn't work like that.. it seems to me that most of the deadwood is signed on long contracts and high salary.. i can't see why anybody would pay a transfer fee plus inflated wages for the likes of Smith or Barton.

i think it's vital to get rid of Smith, Barton, Duff and Butt, not only because they are shite players that make me sick every time i watch a game, but mainly because of their honest-pro / experienced / psychopath bullshit 'status' in the game, if you know what i mean.. they are the kind of players that expect to play every single game and the few hundred managers we had lately seem to be afraid to drop such 'popular' figures, which is worrying..

Regards, Dr Dre

Will go with a top 8 thing as it is very rare that more than 8 players leave in one window, these are in order as well.

To Go

Cacapa

Barton

Smith

Carr

Butt

Rozehnal

Geremi

Shola

To Stay

N'Zogbia

Beye

Faye

Owen

Martins

Milner

Taylor

Enrique

was really struggling at the end which shows what a fucking state our squad is currently in.

Realistically we should get rid of Carr, Butt, Barton, Smith and Owen (if he refuses a new contract)

That would be it unless we receive really good offers for anyone else.

Thats more like it, but I would keep Owen and Smith aswell. Owen can still do a decent job, and Smith is a squad player who has come out and sai he'd play anywhere the gaffer wants him to (and can to a certain extent)

Carr and Butt are finished, Barton is a dick who doesnt deserve the lifestyle he has.

I presume some of these players havent got long left on their contracts. But who exactly is going to buy Joey Barton and Alan Smith? :tumbleweed:

Maybe we could give them to Allardyce in lieu of severance pay?

They could sweep the house, do the garden etc... not a bad idea.

KEEP

Given

Harper

Beye

Faye

Taylor

Enrique

Cacapa

Geremi

Milner

Duff

N'Zogbia

Emre

Owen

Martins

We need a big squad so to sell nearly them all is just stupid, Ashley is not going to buy 15 new players, 10 new players would be pushing it.

OUT

Roze

Carr

Butt

Barton

Smith

Viduka

Shola

You don't have to get rid of nearly ha;f the squad to make it a successful team. Look at Man City, they still have Dunne, Ball, Vassell, Hamann in their team, however with the additions of Elano, Petrov, Richards at CB has upped their game. Remember under Bobby when we had Speed, Lee, Dabizas etc, but bring in Bellamy, Robert, Woodgat etc. and it made us title challengers. Right now, we needa couple of big bastards across the back 4 and some creativity in midfield. Players like Faye, Beye, Duff, Emre Owen are very good players but playing with shit like Smith, Carr and Butt we'll go nowhere. An injection of 4/5 youthful, pacey and powerful players will see us much better next term without having a turnover 0f 20 or so players.

You don't have to get rid of nearly ha;f the squad to make it a successful team. Look at Man City, they still have Dunne, Ball, Vassell, Hamann in their team, however with the additions of Elano, Petrov, Richards at CB has upped their game. Remember under Bobby when we had Speed, Lee, Dabizas etc, but bring in Bellamy, Robert, Woodgat etc. and it made us title challengers. Right now, we needa couple of big bastards across the back 4 and some creativity in midfield. Players like Faye, Beye, Duff, Emre Owen are very good players but playing with shit like Smith, Carr and Butt we'll go nowhere. An injection of 4/5 youthful, pacey and powerful players will see us much better next term without having a turnover 0f 20 or so players.

Most sensible post so far in this thread, we really don't need a massive clearout on the scale some people are suggesting.

I'd be much more concerned with adding players than getting rid of any.

Guest ToonGeneral

Keep: Given, Krul, Enrique, N'Zogbia, Duff, Milner, Barton, Emre, Taylor, Beye, Faye, Owen, Smith and Martins

Out: Everyone Else

We need some strenght and pace upfront. Bringing in someone like Cameron Jerome is the answer.

Guest optimistic nit

Players to Go

Carr

Smith

Barton

Ramage

Geremi

Butt

Ameobi

Rozenhal

Retained players.

Given

Krul

Beye

Enrique

Cacapa

Edgar

Faye

LuaLua

N'Zogbia (but if he wants out get rid)

Milner

Duff

Carroll

Viduka

Troisi

players to go if the right offer comes in and better replacements bought:

Owen

Martins

Harper

Taylor

Emre

OUT

Viduka, Geremi, Barton, Carr, Rozza, Smith, Shola, Ramage, Butt, Milner, Cacapa

KEEP

Zoggy, Emre, Owen, Martins, Faye, Beye, Taylor, Enrique, Duff, Given, Harper.

Just clear out the dead wood and the idiots and start again.

Guest optimistic nit

Keep: Given, Krul, Enrique, N'Zogbia, Duff, Milner, Barton, Emre, Taylor, Beye, Faye, Owen, Smith and Martins

Out: Everyone Else

We need some strenght and pace upfront. Bringing in someone like Cameron Jerome is the answer.

martins? why in the world would we buy jerome when we have martins, a superior player with all those attributes and still young. we need quality, plain and simple. make midfield a priority, i only want to see zog starting next year out of our current midfielders. we need 3-4 new quality cm's and a top quality right winger. milner is good for where we are now but if we want to improve we need better. duff could be the answer but he's been hit and miss for us so far so we cant take a chance on him, we need to sign someone with proven quality in the final third, a robert/ginola/gillespie/solano player. one of the mids also needs to be a proven quality set piece taker.

we also need one more striker, and could do with 2. we have owen, a proven goalscorer with brains and martins, who has great physical attributes but we don't have an ashton or a tevez. we need one of the two by next season to really compete. ideally i would like us to have 4 quality strikers, one of the owen mould (owen) one of the martins mould (martins) and one target man and one technical supporting striker. tbh i don't think an owen and martins partnership will ever work. viduka is ok as a technical striker, but poor physical attributes really do let him down, so someone needs to be bought to fill that mould. that said i still wouldn't sell viduka, as he is a good striker and we would get nowt for him at his age. those along with a quality centreback to compete with faye and cacapa should be our main priorities, and maybe an experienced left back.

once we have all this then we should start to resemble a football team again, and we can re-evaluate the other positions in the team.

A mass clearout is pointless- for years we have suffered from having a small squad, most of the players we have now are good enough to at least make that. Get rid of Smith, Butt, Barton and Rozehnal as they're shit/knackered, maybe Ameobi because it's pointless him rotting away here if he's not going to play, and then build from there. Once we've established a bigger squad and improved first team, people can leave if they're unhappy.

Guest saintscoobz

A mass clearout is pointless- for years we have suffered from having a small squad, most of the players we have now are good enough to at least make that. Get rid of Smith, Butt, Barton and Rozehnal as they're s***/knackered, maybe Ameobi because it's pointless him rotting away here if he's not going to play, and then build from there. Once we've established a bigger squad and improved first team, people can leave if they're unhappy.

Well said.  Just getting rid of everyone is not the answer.  We need to build the squad up, with midfield a massive priority.  I dont think our current bunch of midfield maestros should be anywhere near our first team next season (zog maybe but only if he's willing to bleed black and white blood). 

However i do think the likes of Barton and Smith should be retained to add that 'depth of squad' that we really need.  Roz has already gone (i know its only a loan deal, but i dont think he'll come back).  Butt can go back to Manchester and sulk all he likes, he could have had a decent career with us but I dont think he ever got over being sold by the scum.  Good Ridance.  Owen i think fits into the same category as zoggy.  And everyone else for that matter.  Stay and show us what you've got or F@@K off.

Guest s0ftcore

GET RID

Carr

Cacapa

Butt

Ameobi

Smith

Right now, I think Given needs to be dropped. Harper should be playing ahead of him.

With what we have now, I'd go for Geremi as rightback so Beye and Faye can play in the centre. I'd go for Enrique as leftback.

Emre and Barton in the centre of midfield would work out if it was given a chance. Milner and the Zog on the wings.

Owen and Martins/Viduka up front.

Wor jackie's made a good point with his post earlier. If we had to strengthen our team we definitely need to know where Faye is playing first. If he's gonna be our centreback we're gonna need a proper DM. If he's gonna be our DM, then hopefully we sign a defender that can do his job

I've no clue why Butt plays. The most important function of a DM is that you can't afford to lose the ball because you put pressure on your defence. Sigh.