Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Cuellar hasn't just looked good, he's looked absolutely outstanding. That's what everyone is so excited about, he's like a one man back four.

The SPL is not the best level to judge a player from but you can get a pretty good idea of how good someone is from the Uefa cup, and Cuellar looked immense in that competition as well.

Hutton's looking quite good so far...

As for this Cuellar bloke, i've heard some good stuff about him but iv'e only seen him play once. Apparantly we're after him too, so can someone tell me what his pace is like? fast? slow?

After him? Of course you are! We have been linked to him... tssss

i reckon we should offer ameobi a new contract ;)

Newcastle target Mbark Boussoufa is reportedly set to sign a new deal with current club Anderlecht, thus ending speculation of a move to Tyneside.

The Morocco international, who came through the famed youth system at Ajax before a stint as a youth player at Chelsea, had attracted interest from The Magpies as well as Atletico Madrid, Marseille and Lens.

However, after some uncertainty over his future Belgian publication Het Laatste Nieuws has reported that Anderlecht have a new deal prepared for the 23-year-old to sign.

Boussoufa – who deals with his own contract matters and does not use an agent – had been in negotiations with the club for some time over a new deal.

“Of course he has made the right choice by staying at Anderlecht,” said former Anderlecht player and current youth scout Par Zetterberg.

“This season he has only played at his best for six months and he wanted to prove himself.  Next season he must prove he can play for 10 months.

“He must also become a player that makes the difference at Anderlecht.”

Boussoufa’s new deal will commit him to the Jupiler League club until the summer of 2012.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/20/Prem-Boussoufa-signs-new-Anderlecht-deal/

My only worry about Cuellar, is that he's been excellent in a side geared up to not lose games with ten-men behind the ball. The way we play, he's going to be under pressure a lot more in one-on-one situations and against more counter-attacks. Will be interesting to see if he can deal with that.

Guest exilim

Daniel Güiza anyone? Top scorer for the spanish league this season netting 27 goals, with no penalty kicks.

Cuellar hasn't just looked good, he's looked absolutely outstanding. That's what everyone is so excited about, he's like a one man back four.

The SPL is not the best level to judge a player from but you can get a pretty good idea of how good someone is from the Uefa cup, and Cuellar looked immense in that competition as well.

I seem to remember a certain Jean Alain Boumsong looking outstanding in the rangers defence a few years back, and he looked decent in Europe, but couldn't cut it in the EPL

I seem to remember a certain Jean Alain Boumsong looking outstanding in the rangers defence a few years back, and he looked decent in Europe, but couldn't cut it in the EPL

I have watched both play for Rangers and i can tell you Cuellar is a better player than Boumsong. Boumsong had problems with us, think his wife had/has cancer so a lot of his problems werent football related. Cuellar would be a great signing and think he could deal with the EPL. He has played in La Liga with Osasuna dont forget!

I have watched both play for Rangers and i can tell you Cuellar is a better player than Boumsong. Boumsong had problems with us, think his wife had/has cancer so a lot of his problems werent football related. Cuellar would be a great signing and think he could deal with the EPL. He has played in La Liga with Osasuna dont forget!

Boumsong's wife had cancer, his dad died, and his studs weren't fitted properly for our pitch.

The point you fail to make is that people are not judging Cuellar by his SPL performances. It's his European performances. And he has been outstanding in Europe, champions league and the entire uefa run no doubt about it. For me he does everything you would want a defender to do and he does it on an extremely consistant basis.

The problem is that in Europe Rangers have been playing with an 8 man defence. Even Weir has looked good in that set up. I'd much prefer Dunne.

Weir was  class in the premiership for about 5 years. Excellent reader of the game.

He was finished at this level a couple of years ago but he's had a mini-resurgence because playing with Rangers negative tactics in the big games means he can just sit back and do the defending without worrying about getting done for pace and in the run of the mill games against Inverness... well,  my nan would look a good centre half.

Could Ben Arfa be a target? He plays in a position where we have been heavily linked with players, and Lyon's chairman Aulas today says he has received bids from Arsenal, a less significant PL club, and Marseille.

Guest teepee

i have only seen little of ben arfa, but would like him here - could bring something to the squad that we dont have

Guest sondre

I know it's a bit early to start whining, but CMON MIKE, MORT & KK!! GIVE US SOMETHING HERE! CONFIRM SOME RUMOR OR SOMETHING!! :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :rant: :rant: :cheesy: :idiot2:

I know it's a bit early to start whining, but CMON MIKE, MORT & KK!! GIVE US SOMETHING HERE! CONFIRM SOME RUMOR OR SOMETHING!! :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :rant: :rant: :cheesy: :idiot2:

Yes, lets announce all our target so that Spurs can put us out of our misery.

Guest icemanblue

Have. A. Word.

Guest sondre

wonder how much time im sitting searching the internet for some little rumor to keep me going. im like ray charles, "cmon man, just gimme a taste"