Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

NEWCASTLE are ready to test Rangers’ determination to hang on to Carlos Cuellar this summer by making a £7million bid for the defender.

Cuellar, 26, has been a big hit in his debut season in the SPL since signing from Osasuna for £2.3m and was recently voted the league’s player of the year.

The Spaniard signed a four-year contract and his impressive performances have alerted a host of Premier League clubs.

Dennis Wise, Newcastle’s executive director of football, was in the crowd at the City of Manchester Stadium for last week’s UEFA Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg to watch Cuellar.

Newcastle also fancy FC Basel’s 19-year-old striker Eren Derdiyok.

He scored against England for Switzerland at Wembley when he came on as a second-half sub in February.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1183487.ece

Cuellar has looked class when I've seen him this year, especially in Europe where Rangers cup run was built on their defence.

Who is this united people keep mentioning?   :rolleyes:

It's bizarre to see Newcastle fans calling another club "United". Get your fucking acts together people.

I can see why some people may refer to Man U as "united". I grew up, and still live, in Ireland where most people would support Liverpool or Man U and they would just be called "Utd". I do however think it's strange for born and bred geordies to do it...

As for Cuellar, I would steer clear. Not wanting to harp back to Boumsong, but that's what it comes down to. It's very easy for a shit defender (Boumsong) to pass themselves off as a decent player, and indeed, it's easy for a decent player, like I think Cuellar is, to look very good. That said, he's not the leader we need at the back. We have Taylor and Faye as competent centre halves, as well as Edgar, Tozer, Kadar as young players trying to push for inclusion in the first team. I honestly think we should only sign another player who could be a significant improvement on what we already have.

i've not seen a great deal of cuellar, he's looked good but then again boumsong looked good in the SPL. rangers definitely saw us coming that time.

Have seen him mostly in the UEFA Cup and has been excellent. I'd have no qualms with signing him.

Cuellar has looked class but id still be wary, isnt David Weir stilla first team regular?? He's 38 for fucks sake. Goes to show the quality of opposition in the SPL when that can happen.

It's weird the SPL. I mean although the quality is low, you'd think players who have experience of it would be used to a bit of a physical game, and aren't as soft as shit. Then look at Boumsong.

Cuellar has looked class but id still be wary, isnt David Weir stilla first team regular?? He's 38 for fucks sake. Goes to show the quality of opposition in the SPL when that can happen.

surely you should have used boumsong as your example? (or do you rate him or sometin'?! :shifty:)

surely you should have used boumsong as your example? (or do you rate him or sometin'?! :shifty:)

Aye, but I get his point. Weir is considered one of the best players in that league...

:idiot2:

*puts tin hat on*

Haha, ill be honest, i hadnt seen anything of him before he signed but he had a cool name so gave him the beneift of the doubt - i remember him having Henry in his pocket one time and thought that he could come good and his form was down to what was happening off the pitch. Turns out i was wrong but im happy to admit i didnt call him out as quick as i should of done.

Hopefully our scouting network will judge the player on an individual basis and look at what attributes he has that we need rather than judging him on other players who've failed to make the grade.

Hopefully our scouting network will judge the player on an individual basis and look at what attributes he has that we need rather than judging him on other players who've failed to make the grade.

Merely pointing out that it seems difficult to judge the quality of players playing in the SPL as the competition there is so mixed.

Guest kingdawson

Hutton's looking quite good so far...

As for this Cuellar bloke, i've heard some good stuff about him but iv'e only seen him play once. Apparantly we're after him too, so can someone tell me what his pace is like? fast? slow?

Guest elpapi

As for this Cuellar bloke, i've heard some good stuff about him but iv'e only seen him play once. Apparantly we're after him too, so can someone tell me what his pace is like? fast? slow?

After him? Of course you are! We have been linked to him... tssss

You don't have to tell us you're in for anyone we are interested in.  We already know.

Guest loonietoonie

He's slow as f*** and completely rubbish...

cool, i'll tell Levy.

Sweet.  Tell him Turan, Dunne and Gomis are useless as well.

tell him that Alan Smith is decent too

Guest kingdawson

He's slow as f*** and completely rubbish...

cool, i'll tell Levy.

Sweet.  Tell him Turan, Dunne and Gomis are useless as well.

Honestly though, if we end up with Cuellar it's near enough certain you lot will get Dunne and vice versa.