Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Looks like Harry-Norway has his 2008 Brede Hangeland!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/04/magpies-on-the-trail-of-young-rosenborg-star-72703-21228344/

NEWCASTLE United have been considering a move for Norwegian international Per Ciljan Skjelbred according to sources close to the midfielder’s club Rosenborg.

Guest LondonMag

Looks like agant trying to sell him on the back of Newcastle United.

sounds rubbish ,altough he is very talnted player.seen him couple of time in CL with Rosenburg

Guest geordienorway

Looks like Harry-Norway has his 2008 Brede Hangeland!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/04/magpies-on-the-trail-of-young-rosenborg-star-72703-21228344/

NEWCASTLE United have been considering a move for Norwegian international Per Ciljan Skjelbred according to sources close to the midfielder’s club Rosenborg.

At his best, Skjelbred is class. Since I support Rosenborg I have watched him since he became a Rosenborg-player. His workrate and intelligence are his greatest assets, but his passing is also good. The problem with Skjelbred is that he can be lightweight in the premiership.

Guest kesse

Per Ciljan can be a class player, get him in! I have seen him play many times and I have been hoping that we would go for him, he is a Newcastle fan aswell so he would jump at a move to Newcastle :)

Guest optimistic nit

Decky, comparisons with James and Given aren't possible, as James has always had the complete package but the mental side of his game was lacking and he has improved this with age, and by avoiding serious injury his career has been able to go on and on and get better as he has matured.

Meanwhile, Given's game has always been fairly limited, and injury problems have affected those abilities he had which were previously considered strengths.

As such, as I said in my original post if Andujar is potentially better, and affordable, he is worth it, as you can't really say no to improving any player in the team.

given has his weaknesses like james, but im pretty sure about 3 or 4 years ago you wernt saying he was fairly limited. given has been a top class keeper for 5 years before his injury, and if he can recover, as i believe he can, he should be our number 1 keeper, as unless we can find the next joe hart he is the best we will be able to have.

your not stupid james, your posts normally show this, but id rather stick with the devil we know, we know what both given and harper are good at, this guy hasnt done anything of note so far.

we know given is a top top class keeper, we know harper is good and we know krul has potential. we dont need anything else in that position. i would hate us to sell given after 1 bad season when he was our best player for god knows how long before that. if he then recaptures his form and plays even better than he was here (very possible) well look like idiots. id also hate us to sell harper and replace him with an unkown quantity when we dont know whether given will recapture his form.

at this point in time we have everything we need in the keeper position, we have a world class keeper, good back up and goalkeeper with a lot of potential.

aye given has been inconsistant for a while, harper will never be world class and krul is inexperienced but in those 3 we have everything we will need.

id give given one more season personally, get shot if he hasnt improved by then, if he gets back to his best then we can sell harper, otherwise we should sell given.

you said it yourself, if andjujar is potentially better, we dont need to take risks in our goalkeeper position, if we can sign someone who is actually better than given, lets do it, but i doubt well be able to find someone out there, hes one of our best assets, and if he gets back to his best well see why again.

Guest geordienorway

Does Skjelbred play on the wing or through the middle or off the striker?

Details people! Details!

He is best through the middle, or as a box-to-box midfielder.

This would be an awesome transfer, if only because it would make Rosenborg weaker. Fine player, though. And allegedly supports the Toon.

[edit/remove/somesuch: quoted wrong post]