Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Has Martins ever used his pace in a match?

Never been given a chance we havent played the right cant of balls through to him to run onto

Give over man. He's used it on occasion, obviously (like the long ball from Enrique v. Fulham) but he doesn't make the most of his pace by any means. It's not the fault of his team mates that his movement is poor any more than it's his fault the service is poor.

Van der Sar, Kusczack (sp) and Foster.

Three keepers, one regular first team place, one regular bench place, and one out in the cold.

All three are better than Given and Harper. We should sign one of them.

Spurs enquired about Foster and got a very sharp 'not for sale'.

He hasnt the chance to use it because he has no service

You've just used that excuse, and Alex answered it. Next...

He used it under Roeder, its was stifled under SA in his negative tactics and sub selections and under KK he's been injured most part but his pace is being used more imo over the past few games than it has all season.

why are people obsessed with replacing our keepers.. the nature of the position is such that even if we get somebody world class who is technically an improvement over Given, there's no guarantee that he won't fuck up in the first game or suffer some other confidence blow.. i'd rather keep them both, because regardless of the form, they've proved that they're good enough and are loyal to the club.

No keeper looks good behind this shitty defence of ours. Just look at someone like Petr Cech when Chelseas back four was suffering without Terry and Carvalho and so on. He looked a lot worse than Given at times. Given should be our first choice keeper, he's going in to what should be his prime now that he is on the "wrong" side of 30 and should be able to use his experience.

My wishlist for the summer:

Coloccini

http://images.google.is/url?q=http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/pics/regular/Coloccini_054.jpg&usg=AFQjCNED1WXKdi4A8NiITPovzcZxVOK7vA

Reyes

http://img.skysports.com/07/09/218x298/Jose_Antonio_Reyes_573635.jpg

Quaresma

http://img.skysports.com/07/10/218x298/RicardoQuaresma2_579207.jpg

or

Quagliarella

http://www.soccerfiesta.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/fabio_quagliarella.jpg

If we look back at KK from the past to get a clue what he'll try to do in the future it's interesting.

I would say in his last spell, he bought players on their reputation more than anything else. And to be perfectly honest it was a tact that worked out wonderfully well. I don't doubt that had he been the manager at the time the likes of Butt, Owen, Duff, and even Smith would still have been purchased.

At first he brought in a lot of players who many regarded as past their sell by dates. The likes of Brian Kilcline, Kevin Sheedy, Paul Bracewell and Barry Venison.  But what he was really successful at was getting them all to make a contribution. Killer gaves us that leadership we were missing at the time. Sheedy gave us guille and quality we needed. Bracewell filled the DM spot for a couple of seasons and Venision was his biggest success firstly giving the experience at right back then going on to gain England honours with his work as a DM.

After the ship was steadied he went on to buy only players who had made a name for themselves, he was guilty in some case of buying players who had just been in a rich vain of form. Paul Kitson and Darren Peacock or 2 that spring to mind.

But by and large he would buy names, some people will try to fool you into thinking Rob Lee and Andy Cole were un-heard of before joining us, but Lee had was easily Charlton's best player and had already made a name for himself before we bought him. Cole had left Arsenal reserves and joined Bristol City where he was on fire for them before we came in for him. What KK did with these 2 players was take their talent and push them on to the next level. That was not the norm with his signings though. Because once we got to the prem, he rarely took a risk on an unknown or up coming star they were mostly established English players or big reputation forigners: Ferdinand, Beardsley, Batty, Shearer, Albert, Tino and Ginola for example.

Again what KK was so good at was ensuring that these big names produced the goods.

Will he follow this tried and trusted formula the 2nd time around ?I'm not sure, we certainly can't attract the modern day equivalents of Sir Les, Ginola and Shearer right now and we are a little ahead of situation we found ourselves in when KK took over last time.

What I think he'll go for is the players with the biggest reputation that are either not good enough yet or not wanted by the big 4.

Bentley may come into that category, Sidwell, Bridges and Riise are cast offs we could well end up with.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him bid for Ashton, Arteta, Downing, Wheater or Kuyt.

But I think to get true value and quality we need, he needs to look abroad, I expect him to take a close look at the summer Euros, I wouldn't be surprised to see a star or 2 of that tournament end up in a black and white shirt next season. He's also going to have to rely heavily on his new scouting team to identify that untapped talent.

I have the feeling he'll make a few more mistakes this time around but if he can be half as successful with his signings this time around we be in much better shape.

Guest Flair

Van der Sar, Kusczack (sp) and Foster.

Three keepers, one regular first team place, one regular bench place, and one out in the cold.

All three are better than Given and Harper. We should sign one of them.

Spurs enquired about Foster and got a very sharp 'not for sale'.

Tbh Van der Sar looks more suspect than Given. Every time I seen him play, he looks poor.

Guest andymc

I think most people are being totally unrealistic in this thread. Most of the players mentioned wont join a club that isn't in Europe.

Well, I end up plugging a Korean player on here every window so....

http://news.joins.com/component/htmlphoto_mmdata/200802/htm_2008021716201660006010-001.JPG

thoughts?

Nepotism aside, I honestly think he's one of the most underrated players in the Premiership. Has the best work rate in the league, lots of pace, decent vision and technique. Would start regularly for any team outside of the top 4.

Can't really score but that should be less of a problem if we play him as the winger in a 4-4-2 or as a box-to-box CM. See him playing in the centre of the pitch for the national team all the time and he's fucking mint when a team's built around him.

Nani's pretty much pushed him out of the ManU XI completely. Ferguson rates him highly as a squad player but would probably let him go for decent money.

Never gonna be a world-beater, but a very good player who's probabaly available on the cheap. I'd have a go.