Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

I don't trust American players unless they are goalkeepers.

They just don't quite seem to get it. I love McBride though, he really impressed me with what he was able to achieve outside of the states. Dempsey looks alrightish at times, but outside of that the outfield players really seem to struggle. Reyna was goodish back in the day too I guess.

I just don't think they grow up watching enough decent football. The MLS just won't inspire you or teach you anything.

The most popular league in the United States is not MLS, but the Primera División de México-- by some distance.  The football is of much higher quality.

Im not being funny, but i genuinely dont think there are too many signings out there that would be wildly unrealisitc.

I know we havent been doing as well as a club of club but i think like Tottenham we are in a real position of strength come the end of the season, there will be players who will turn there noses up at us, and there will be players who are being courted by clubs in better situations than us, but if you ask yourself if a player would sign for us if we were the only club in for him then id be inclined to say that there is a chance of signing that player irrespective of his reputation.

Look at Man City, they were a nothing club before Frank took over, now they are in for the 2/3 times World player of the year, thatis a true measure of how much things can change, and i dont see why it should be any different for us, except maybe, just maybe we are in a slighlty stronger position than Man City because of our recent history being so much better.

Philip Lahm wants to leave Bayern would be a great signing

He would be an immense signing. Can cover for Beye and take over at RB when beye is done, and play LB and give Enrique some competition.

:lol:

He would be an immense signing. Can cover for Beye and take over at RB when beye is done, and play LB and give Enrique some competition.

Wolfgang mate do you have some radar or something that just goes off?  :lol:

Wolfgang mate do you have some radar or something that just goes off?  :lol:

Sorry, that post made me look a tad retarded  :blush:

What I meant was he plays LB until Beye is too old (no point dropping him quite yet), takes over for Beye at RB, and Enrique will probably have worked hard and can be rewarded with the LB spot again.

So now:

Beye - CB - CB - Lahm

Few years time:

Lahm - CB - CB - Enrique

Dont know why I bother even doing this, as he will never come to newcastle...

Guest mrainey

Well basically all these reports say that Modric's agents flew to Newcastle yesterday (Ashley's private plane apparently) and met with Peter Harrison.

Newcastle are said to be prepared to offload around 20-25m, which tops the bids of Liverpool, Tottenham etc.

Then it says that Newcastle have however offered lowest basic wage, upon which the talks have stalled.

Seeing as almost every news portal here in Croatia posted this news, there's bound to be truth in it.

Guest mrainey

Haven't Liverpool already claimed to have signed him? Or did I imagine that?

Nope, they didn't even officially bid as far as I'm aware. They were linked to him and at that time a Modric interview popped up where he said he admires the club.

That sort of caused a lot of commotion regarding his transfer.

I've only seen him play international games a few times. Looked good. £20m is the going rate for these sorts of players these days insane as it may seem. If the likes of Barca and Liverpool have been sniffing around him then it would be fantastic if he was considering us. Infact it's probably euros aswell so the price does seem right.

Guest mrainey

Well he actually used to train on a pitch thats about 50m from my house, so you could say I know enough about to comment.

Though being Croatian and all, I'm naturally biased as hell :laugh:

Has anyone here seen him often enough to comment?

Seen him twice in the Euro quals and looked like he could control the ball and pass it. I guess £20m sounds about right.