Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest LondonMag

Expect to see this story in our press tomorrow or friday

He says that its in all Croatian Sport portals.so i guess it will be soon in Sky sports website

Guest mrainey

pretty shocked by al this, i hope its true. talk about a conservative first signing!

quotes from the Dinamo spokesman as well, does that make this an official attempt then rather than sepculation?

The fukers are desperate to sell, this is a wave to be put out so other teams can see what is going on.

I think this qualifies as an official attempt. The thing with this transfer is, well the media here in Croatia hasn't had someone

like Modric (as in "world class potential") in more than a decade and that leads up to massive speculation brought almost

on a daily basis. Actually the closest thing to a Modric transfer happened during the winter break when his agents went to London to

negotiate with several premiership clubs, including Newcastle. Since than it's been Liverpool this, Barca that and so on, you get

the idea anyway. They don't often bring quotes into play though. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Guest optimistic nit

Has anyone here seen him often enough to comment?

Seen him twice in the Euro quals and looked like he could control the ball and pass it. I guess £20m sounds about right.

would want a bit more for 20mill like.

Guest LondonMag

From what i understand the Mamic Brothers are trying to sell him for about two years.but the still didn't get the amount they want.

Modric has stated that he wants to play abroad next season.so now  clubs are starting to sniff around.

BTW the press officer of Zagreb didn't deny that Newcastle made a bid

Guest mrainey

How good is Modric? I dont think ive seen him play.

What type of player is he?

Knowing both Modric and today's Newcastle, well, he's your Messiah (or a Keegan's prophet, i reckon that sounds better). :D

Newcastle In For Top Croation Midfielder

Wednesday April 23rd, 2008 by Ed Harrison· 26 Comments

There is some very interesting news today that Newcastle have flown Croation midfielder Luka Modrić into Newcastle, and already talked to him about a possible move to Newcastle United in the summer.

Luka Modric - Newcastle have already made their move

The news is that Modric and representatives from his club, Dinamo Zagreb were flown into Newcastle recently by private jet to negotiate the sale of Luka Modric. Reports in Zagreb today suggest they arrived at midday and were back home by 6:40pm.

The transfer window doesn’t open until five or six weeks time and Newcastle will be facing stiff competition from Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and even Barcelona, but reports in Zagreb suggest Newcastle are the club that are in the lead for his signature.

Dinamo Zagreb have been told the signing of Michael Owen’s contract is the Tyneside club’s first priority, and expect Modric’s signature to be their second priority, and hope to complete the signing quickly.

We cannot say this is a true report but there’s an awful lot of detail in the report, that was translated from local reports in Zagreb.

Silvio Maric was transferred to Newcastle from Dinamo in early 1999, when Ruud Gullit was manager at Newcastle, so there are good existing relationships between the clubs, even though Silvio was hardly a success on Tyneside.

It will be important for Newcastle to move very quickly for any top players on their list, because they are at something of a disadvantage with not being able to provide European Football next season.

Luka has played for Dinamo Zagreb 85 times and scored 25 goals since 2005, and has played 24 times for Croatia and scored 3 goals. But he is still just 22 years old and stands just under 5′9″ in height.

We think Luka is exactly the type of player we need at the club - he’s a top class player, there’s no doubt about that.

The question is whether we can get him to the club, in the face of competition from teams that can offer him European competition next season.

http://nufcblog.com/2008/04/23/transfer-news/newcastle-in-for-top-croation-midfileder/

Guest mrainey

http://www.pincom.info/sport/opsirnije.asp?ID=56495

This one claims that a source who is, i quote: "very close to Modric", and apparently Modric has already "celebrated" his transfer with his friends&family yesterday.

Of course that's where the report ends, naming no clubs or a fee that's involved. Note that this is exactly the kind of stuff I mentioned earlier, what media keep "feeding" us with.

Good move if true to make our overtures now, as it:

a) Shows a genuine interest ahead of other clubs, allowing us to gain favour with the player

b) Gets everything tied up before the Euros, an area we've messed up in the past by waiting and circumstances changing (I reckon Shepherd had his fingers burnt by Gui'varch)

Isn't Modric Viduka's cousin?

Guest mrainey

If we are in from him we need to get him before the Euro's

unless he wants to come to us for a couple of years as a stepping stone to a bigger club

I thinks that's the plan, to sell him before the EURO. Price can't be much bigger than what's being speculated atm.

unless he wants to come to us for a couple of years as a stepping stone to a bigger club

I'd say without a doubt that is what he's be thinking if he did join us.

still wouldnt complain could help us go to the next level

It's getting hard not to get sucked in by the reports. Firstly, there are three or four sites reporting the same thing and in at least one of them there is a named club source.

Now I know fuck all about the accuracy of Croatian papers but i'm reliably informed they're not much cop. I just hope there really is something in this. It would be a huge statement of intent.

Guest mrainey

Good move if true to make our overtures now, as it:

a) Shows a genuine interest ahead of other clubs, allowing us to gain favour with the player

b) Gets everything tied up before the Euros, an area we've messed up in the past by waiting and circumstances changing (I reckon Shepherd had his fingers burnt by Gui'varch)

Isn't Modric Viduka's cousin?

Second cousin indeed, a good connection there :thup:

If we are in from him we need to get him before the Euro's

I thinks that's the plan, to sell him before the EURO. Price can't be much bigger than what's being speculated atm.

Aye just concerned that big clubs not currently aware or willing to risk it will see him in summer then get him