Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Fuck me, just talking about this after 1.2 games is pathetic! Jesus wept.

I know we should be giving him at least 2 and a half games before writing him off!

:lol:

Seriously though hes been throw in the deep end, next game i rather see him come off the bench.

Guest geordieracer

against villa tbf mellberg looked class and outmuscled him a lot

he needs to get in the gym and get use to english football then he might come good, other wise he will turn into a luque who will probably be amazing is he returned to la liga

Guest Knightrider

Yet whenever I've seen him for Inter he's looked really strong. I think the close contact of the Premiership has taken him by surprise and it is that, rather than the strength of his opponents that is making him look a bit light-weight, that and playing his back to goal as he fights for balls made for giraffes.

His obvious attributes is his pace, directness, strong running and his quick turn circle as he demonstarted against Fulham before dragging his shot wayward. Now, the obvious thing to do would be to play penetrating through balls or use the channels so he can exploit them with his pace. NOT FUCKING LUMP IT UP THERE OR PLAY 20 YARDS DEEP.

What gets me is the players and staff have been raving about him in training, yet on the pitch we do our damndest to render him and his various threats obsolete. WHY?

Sort that out and we may see Oba-Gol

Guest Man in Black

he is a poor mans Cisse. he isnt geared up for the Premiership, is hugely over rated and is about 6 years older than he claims to be.

it was a panic buy

Guest thompers

I'll give him a chance but after watching him play for Inter a few times and because of the type of player he is, I got the feeling when we signed him that he'd be a bad signing. Any joy at the time of the signing was through relief of finally signing someone. More than willing to give him a chance though, can't be worse than Shola. Probably the reason that I was happy with Duff at first too, just through relief. In hindsight, I think it was ridiculous to spend £5m on a position that was probably already the strongest in our squad.

The only thing I found blatently obvious on saturday, was that Martins and Ameobi have not trained/played together enough to form a good partnership yet.

Both are recovering from injuries, also martins was trying to run into the same areas as Ameobi and Duff. Given a few weeks i would expect the partnership to improve.

Im not suprised this club struggles when we have fans who are prepared to right off and criticise players who havent even played 15 games or had time to settle in to a new team, country and style of football. Give the lad time for godness sake. To perform at a high level doesnt require ability alone. Knowing how you teammates play, vice versa and even your teammates names will help slightly imo.

PATIENCE IS NEEDED

The problem is that most of the time when we buy an expensive foreign player, the expectation is always massive because of the situation we put ourselves in.

Boumsong - brought in to replace Woodgate in a defence leaking goals for fun.

Luque - who knows who he was replacing, but when we were on the slide under Souness, it felt like he was the one that might turn it round.

Martins - replacing Alan Shearer, in a side with no other capable strikers.

This doesn't happen at most well-run other clubs. Liverpool - if Kuyt plays badly, they'll take him out the firing line, let him settle, give him little bits and the odd start, play Crouch, Fowler, Bellamy. As someone said on Toontastic, West Ham have the perfect set-up to let Tevez settle into our game with 4 or 5 other strikers to choose from. We did this with Viana for a while, when he was having little bits sitting in for Robert, he looked a player, but when he was thrown into the deep end to do Speed's job with no real idea how because it was a totally different type of game, he looked lost.

If Martins doesn't perform, for whatever reason, we are FUCKED, and that is far too much pressure for the lad to be under.

It's not just Martins, it's almost everyone else in our starting XI.  If anyone goes down injured or goes through a bad spell, we're also fucked in that position.  This has already shown itself in the defense.

he is a poor mans Cisse. he isnt geared up for the Premiership, is hugely over rated and is about 6 years older than he claims to be.

it was a panic buy

overrated, 6 years older than he really is, panic buy, that I can accept as an opinion.

but "poor man's cisse"? :lol:

it was a panic buy

And you can tell this from 140 minutes of football? :lol:

How shite was Kuyt for you lot when he came on against Everton? slow, can't shoot and can't score outside of Holland.

every fucker on this board seems to love bellamy - i think martins has it in him to become a better and more important player than the little twat tbh.

ALL the arguments against him, could just as well had aimed a bellars at several points of his nufc carreer.

so people need to start returning to reality and accept the fuckin fact that miracles very rarely happen (especially for us...), and give martins at least half a season to settle in. untill we start playing some half decent football a players like him wont score too many - and at the moment we are not playing the least to his strengths (or those of duff, zoggy and emre). it is not the player that is the problem!

furthermore - i am getting soo sick of this doom-merchants that seem to be surrounding this club - they need a scape goat asap, and with boumsong out the door, luque out of the team they start looking for someone else..... poor lad! (if you want to blame someone, fucking go for bramble, or some other defender!)

I don't have a problem with people expressing concerns about Martins.  I've expressed them myself.  We are allowed first impressions right, or have those been outlawed by the soopafans who think you can't have anything but blind faith in every player that pulls on the black and white?

No one has written him off, so all the idiots grandstanding earlier on in the thread with the "OMG DAT IS AMAZING WRITTING HIM OV AFTA 2 GAYUMS" wind your necks in tbh.  I'm quite within my rights to say that on the evidence of what I've seen so far, albeit VERY early days, I have some concerns about the lad.  That doesn't mean that I hope I'm proven right or that I won't love it if he starts scoring goals.

If we get on his case, fans and media alike or the club somehow fuck up this talent with our anal long ball game I'll give up me, because we cannot keep going on like this man, club and fans. There has to be a wake up moment for all.

:lol:  How many times have you spouted this "That's me done with NUFC!" line?  Nobody cares.  I wish one of these days you'd follow through with this threat and piss off. :lol:

I think the main problem for him lies in the way we play, we  hardly played a ball through for him to run onto he was never given a 1 on 1 chance with a defender. It was always high long balls on Saturday, Ramage and Bramble do get rid of the ball passes when there is no need and when we need them to get shot they pass it across the back. But  a high ball to Emre is a 1 he was never going to win and I feel he is the one player that can find the pass to set Martind away.

Its way way way to early to start putting him down for 2 performances, we did see a burst of pace from him on Saturday and he did look lightening fast but he needs to show his pace a whole lot more he is quick so he should be closing down defeneders, I am sure he will come good have more faith in him than I did  in Luque after 2 games.

Guest Kenton Magpie

People gave luque a chance for ages, get off the lads back, martins will come good!

:lol: Ages? He's only made about 15 appearances, and only about 8 starts.

Aye it took that long for everyone to realise Luque was no good, so why get on martins back after less than 180mins of football :thumbsup:

I think the main problem for him lies in the way we play, we  hardly played a ball through for him to run onto he was never given a 1 on 1 chance with a defender. It was always high long balls on Saturday, Ramage and Bramble do get rid of the ball passes when there is no need and when we need them to get shot they pass it across the back. But  a high ball to Emre is a 1 he was never going to win and I feel he is the one player that can find the pass to set Martind away.

Its way way way to early to start putting him down for 2 performances, we did see a burst of pace from him on Saturday and he did look lightening fast but he needs to show his pace a whole lot more he is quick so he should be closing down defeneders, I am sure he will come good have more faith in him than I did  in Luque after 2 games.

It may have been lack of training / fitness / awareness through being the new lad in the team or Roeders game plan, but I cannot remember him making any forward runs into any areas to cause the Fulham problems when we had the ball - it's not just a game of standing static and waiting for a chance to drop your way.  Mind, lack of movement when we have the ball has been a problem throughout the team at times.

Guest Knightrider

If we get on his case, fans and media alike or the club somehow **** up this talent with our anal long ball game I'll give up me, because we cannot keep going on like this man, club and fans. There has to be a wake up moment for all.

:lol:  How many times have you spouted this "That's me done with NUFC!" line?  Nobody cares.  I wish one of these days you'd follow through with this threat and piss off. :lol:

Where did I say that I'd stop going you idiot :lol:

Never heard of the expression "I give up"?

Oh and you lost your right to be critical by sticking with Souness until the grim end.  tongue.gif BTW what's changed in you? You're more angrier these days and far more critical of players and the club yet you were the opposite under Souness. Once bitten twice shy?

Guest Knightrider

It may have been lack of training / fitness / awareness through being the new lad in the team or Roeders game plan, but I cannot remember him making any forward runs into any areas to cause the Fulham problems when we had the ball - it's not just a game of standing static and waiting for a chance to drop your way.  Mind, lack of movement when we have the ball has been a problem throughout the team at times.

I only saw the highlights on that 50 minute sky thing but it looked to me like we were playing very deep with Fulham sat deep themselves playing with a lot of men behind the ball so it's going to be hard to get in behind them.

If we get on his case, fans and media alike or the club somehow **** up this talent with our anal long ball game I'll give up me, because we cannot keep going on like this man, club and fans. There has to be a wake up moment for all.

Where did I say that I'd stop going you idiot :lol:

Never heard of the expression "I give up"?

Oh and you lost your right to be critical by sticking with Souness until the grim end.  tongue.gif BTW what's changed in you? You're more angrier these days and far more critical of players and the club yet you were the opposite under Souness. Once bitten twice shy?

Scarred for life tbh.  That and the fact that we are on a one way ticket to shitsville with Shepherd in charge.  Nothing to be positive about anymore these days. :(

I only saw the highlights on that 50 minute sky thing but it looked to me like we were playing very deep with Fulham sat deep themselves playing with a lot of men behind the ball so it's going to be hard to get in behind them.

Did you hear that lads?  The bloke who runs this NUFC website DOESN'T EVEN GO TO GAMES.  I for one am APPALLED.