Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Martins looks a good player, but I think we have signed yet another 'second striker' and are as usual expecting to play them up top. I can't see him reaching the goalscoring expectations many will have of him. Wont stop him being good for us, but we needed to bring him in to complement a number 9 striker.

He looks like a player desperate to score his first which is sometimes a bad thing as he overplays and is a little greedy BUT he looks good, is getting sharper and his pace is amazing.

Once he gets his goal the lad is going to fly!

So is anyone genuinely starting to feel a little worried?

I was concerned from day ONE.

I had heard nothing concrete about this bloke, only things I had heard weren't good, and when it was said he was quick, what i HAD heard mentioned this not at all. My source was astonished we had paid what we had for a player who never amounted to much in Italy. Roeder strikes again....

I think you need a new source. Martins has been acknowledged for years as one of the quickest, if not the quickest, players in the world.

Quickest in the world?? I don;t think i've EVER heard or seen that.

But he must be the best at something, he signed for us!! And we're great!!

Full of internationals like Babayaro, Moore, Dyer, Luque etc. Only the fastest/best come to us.

You don't seem the type to really research new Newcastle players tbh.

"research"

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

If he comes good, stand by for numerous posts saying how we wasted our transfer kitty in the summer, because of course we should have bought defenders and played the season with Ameobi and Luque up front  :lol:

If he comes good, stand by for numerous posts saying how we wasted our transfer kitty in the summer, because of course we should have bought defenders and played the season with Ameobi and Luque up front  :lol:

No, the money we 'wasted' wa son a left winger, who we needed a LOT less than we needed (and still need) central defenders.

You have again missed the point - the fact that we could have four or five defenders (All of them, not one of them) for less than the £5m Aston Villa were prepared to pay for Milner.

Martins looks a good player, but I think we have signed yet another 'second striker' and are as usual expecting to play them up top. I can't see him reaching the goalscoring expectations many will have of him. Wont stop him being good for us, but we needed to bring him in to complement a number 9 striker.

I agree.

You have again missed the point - the fact that we could have four or five defenders (All of them, not one of them) for less than the £5m Aston Villa were prepared to pay for Milner.

eeerrrr......and please tell me how much quality you think we could get for 5m quid ?

Would you then complain about short term buys ?

Would you then complain about not addressing the lack of forwards ?

I have read many of your posts mate, you are also one of those who think the club can afford to buy half a team every summer, with a shit board of course ........  :lol:

One decent defender would be nice.

no doubt it would, but we also needed 2 forwards minimum.

You missed an important point though, "quality" players like Owen, Parker, Given, Luque  tongue.gif, Boumsong  tongue.gif, Duff, Martins, etc etc, don't sign for shite clubs with shite boards seriously declining that are however playing in europe - again.

Did we need Damian Duff?

In my opinion, yes.

Why do you think we don't ? We needed forward players, seriously badly. The deal was too good to turn down. If we hadn't signed him, in my opinion the same people who do nowt other than whinge on and criticise the club whatever they do, would be whinging on that we didn't.

..... and I didn't see many people at the time criticising it .... very odd don't you think. U-turn syndrome ? Or unable to stay true to your convictions ?

Did we need Damian Duff?

In my opinion, yes.

Why do you think we don't ? We needed forward players, seriously badly. The deal was too good to turn down. If we hadn't signed him, in my opinion the same people who do nowt other than whinge on and criticise the club whatever they do, would be whinging on that we didn't.

..... and I didn't see many people at the time criticising it .... very odd don't you think. U-turn syndrome ? Or unable to stay true to your convictions ?

A shit-load of people questioned it when we already had N'Zogbia, including me. It turned out to be a third of our budget on a player we didn't need, and yet again nothing at all went on our woeful defence. He's a great player, but that's irrelevent - it would be like spending £5m on Buffon. Great deal, but pretty pointless when other areas need more work.

eeerrrr......and please tell me how much quality you think we could get for 5m quid ?

Queudrue

Campbell

Meite

Trabelsi

A back four who are better than anything we've got and with a combined fee of less than £5 million.

Did we need Damian Duff?

In my opinion, yes.

A shit-load of people questioned it when we already had N'Zogbia, including me. It turned out to be a third of our budget on a player we didn't need, and yet again nothing at all went on our woeful defence. He's a great player, but that's irrelevent - it would be like spending £5m on Buffon. Great deal, but pretty pointless when other areas need more work.

I don't agree, Solano is hurt so he played on the right and will do again. Duff, Zoggy and Solano playing for 2 wide positions looks sound to me, with Duff being versatile.

If we hadn't got him, people would be complaining like fook, and I am glad we have him rather than Malbrangue for instance, and plenty of people wanted him so what is the difference ?

Did we need Damian Duff?

In my opinion, yes.

I don't agree, Solano is hurt so he played on the right and will do again. Duff, Zoggy and Solano playing for 2 wide positions looks sound to me, with Duff being versatile.

If we hadn't got him, people would be complaining like fook, and I am glad we have him rather than Malbrangue for instance, and plenty of people wanted him so what is the difference ?

Milner?

If we hadn't got him, people would be complaining like fook

I disagree. People were pleasantly surprised by his arrival, especially for £5m, but I think many people can still see the gaping holes that have existed in our backline for years; if we'd spent £5m addressing that I think most would be much more satisfied right about now.

Queudrue

Campbell

Meite

Trabelsi

A back four who are better than anything we've got and with a combined fee of less than £5 million.

Campbell was looking for a last payday. Quedrue I agree, but why did he leave the smogs and move to London ?

It s OK saying these things, but players sometimes have reasons for moving, maybe he wanted to move south ? London is the cosmopolitan city and capital, most foreigners would probably choose to live there. You don't know.

As for the other two, the manager had his budget and - other things like terms come into it, in my opinion we needed 2 forwards, and there was very little money left. If Bernard is the player he was then that is a good addition, agreed ?

You have to accept money is limited, and the simple fact is Roeder chose to address the forwards, which was desperately short.

If we hadn't got him, people would be complaining like fook

I disagree. People were pleasantly surprised by his arrival, especially for £5m, but I think many people can still see the gaping holes that have existed in our backline for years; if we'd spent £5m addressing that I think most would be much more satisfied right about now.

If Martins is a success, then he and Duff will do for me. The main thing is getting your signings right. Building a team takes time, it also therefore means we can address the defence next time.