Obafemi Martins

Wullie

I'm all for giving him a fair crack of the whip, and the people that HAVE written him off are cretinous.  BUT I do think there is cause for some concern.  The number of people at the match looking quizzically at one another as if to say "Surely this bloke can't be this crap?" suggests that there are plenty people as concerned as me.  And with good reason.  Fingers crossed he comes good.

I'm all for giving him a fair crack of the whip, and the people that HAVE written him off are cretinous.  BUT I do think there is cause for some concern.  The number of people at the match looking quizzically at one another as if to say "Surely this bloke can't be this crap?" suggests that there are plenty people as concerned as me.  And with good reason.  Fingers crossed he comes good.

Do you think that that 'nervousness' (for want of a better word) transmits itself over to the player? I always feel that the edginess of the crowd can get to new players and it reflects in their own performances.

I think its going to be interesting at West Ham, we need a result of some sorts and Roeder must have worked out how to start getting the best out of him? Surely?

Do you think that that 'nervousness' (for want of a better word) transmits itself over to the player? I always feel that the edginess of the crowd can get to new players and it reflects in their own performances.

I think its going to be interesting at West Ham, we need a result of some sorts and Roeder must have worked out how to start getting the best out of him? Surely?

I think it can yeah.  Not with Martins yet though because there's no vocal disapproval to speak of.  This is gonna sound bad, but I would almost prefer it if we didn't have this UEFA Cup game tomorrow - it's providing the board and the manager with a chance to release some of the pressure that's building up because we're playing a pub team.  It's a chance that they don't deserve.  I'm not saying I don't want us to win btw, just that I want to see the pressure ratcheted up on the wankers in charge at NUFC to make them feel as uncomfortable as they have with us.

I think it can yeah.  Not with Martins yet though because there's no vocal disapproval to speak of.  This is gonna sound bad, but I would almost prefer it if we didn't have this UEFA Cup game tomorrow - it's providing the board and the manager with a chance to release some of the pressure that's building up because we're playing a pub team.  It's a chance that they don't deserve.  I'm not saying I don't want us to win btw, just that I want to see the pressure ratcheted up on the wankers in charge at NUFC to make them feel as uncomfortable as they have with us.

Other side of the coin though, a piss easy game for Martins to open his Newcastle account in emphatic style and get his confidence up.  Could be just what he needs or he might go the next four games getting more and more pissed off.

I think it can yeah. Not with Martins yet though because there's no vocal disapproval to speak of. This is gonna sound bad, but I would almost prefer it if we didn't have this UEFA Cup game tomorrow - it's providing the board and the manager with a chance to release some of the pressure that's building up because we're playing a pub team. It's a chance that they don't deserve. I'm not saying I don't want us to win btw, just that I want to see the pressure ratcheted up on the wankers in charge at NUFC to make them feel as uncomfortable as they have with us.

Gives Martins a chance to score and settle here and the rest of the players to gain some confidence. I think this game is just what we need (if it goes down the way it should)

I just got round to reading .coms match report...

You could also argue that Mr Martins put in one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed. He wasn't particularly fast, his first touch was poor, his second, third and fourth touches weren't much better and his strength on the ball was non-existent. A less equipped player for Premiership football is hard to imagine (Lord I hope I eat those words). And you know what, I think he was trying.

Ouch!

You could also argue that Mr Martins put in one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed. He wasn't particularly fast, his first touch was poor, his second, third and fourth touches weren't much better and his strength on the ball was non-existent. A less equipped player for Premiership football is hard to imagine (Lord I hope I eat those words). And you know what, I think he was trying.

Ouch!

Impossible to argue with though tbf.

Re Martins opening his account against the pub team, aye hopefully. 

Ouch!

:lol: Nicely summed up. He has to get better though shirley.

Other side of the coin though, a piss easy game for Martins to open his Newcastle account in emphatic style and get his confidence up.  Could be just what he needs or he might go the next four games getting more and more pissed off.

He has to get premiership goals in the next four games. Him scoring against West Allotment tomorrow isnt that important for me.

We should remember that he was sticking them in against the best defences in the world last season. I think it will be more about how we play with Martins rather than whether he can suss out premiership defences.

Shocking that from .com. I worry about them, they're little more than another Oliver these days. Just had a look about what they said about Duff. "Threatened and looked a class act" - utter shit.

Someone on 6-0-6 said much the same. I thought he was very ordinary. To be fair to him Fulham doubled up on marking him a lot of the time but he didn't threaten much. I really rate the lad too.

Duff was as bad as Martins against Fulham. The difference is he's Irish and Martins is Nigerian, hence why nufc.com have praised one and slagged the other. Their match reports are becoming very predictable, I rarely read them any more which is a shame because they used to be my favourite Newcastle website. In truth, both Duff and Martins were dreadful.

Luque has only started 6 Premiership games and already his Newcastle career has been written off. If Martins takes as long to get his first goal, will he too be dropped, never to be seen again? The club can't sustain this sort of policy.

Ouch!

Complete garbage tbh.

Whilst he didn't have the best of games, whilst he was on the pitch Fulham were totally unwilling to commit players forward in case he got enough space to do some damage.  Once he left the pitch Fulham came forward whilst we sat back.

Since we can't defend to save our lives, allowing any team to attack us is a risky venture, especially with a single goal lead.

Shocking that from .com. I worry about them, they're little more than another Oliver these days. Just had a look about what they said about Duff. "Threatened and looked a class act" - utter shit.

It's a report by Niall rather than Biffa. Never as insightful, imo, plus lots more personal bias.

Can anyone put up a decent argument against what they've said about Martins like?  And I don't mean comparing it to what they said about Duff and saying it's unfair, I mean arguing the points they've made specifically about Martins.  I can't.  I think they have a responsibility given their popularity to temper what they say a bit, but taking what they've said out of that context, there's nothing that they've said that isn't spot on.

So far.

Also,

Charles N'Zogbia looked awful in his first Reserve game at Molineux and he's now quite rightly one of the best players we've got. He wasn't too far behind Parker today.

Utter nonsense - Zoggy had a reet shocker IMO.

Guest Rameses II

Too early to tell but based on his first two games looks like a poor mans Lua Lua.

However if hs is as quick as we are told and starts getting some service on the deck and through the channels he could be a new Andy Cole.

Obviously he doesn't respond well to over hit and over high crosses!

But that is not his problem!!

Can anyone put up a decent argument against what they've said about Martins like?

Of course...

"one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed"

Those comments are loaded with emotion, they're way over the top and if Martins was a Geordie, you know they'd write something like "he needs to start showing his £10m form soon" or something much tamer along those lines. I take it they weren't watching Shearer last season and some of his 'famous number nine' performances? Or indeed most of the season before that?

Utter nonsense - Zoggy had a reet shocker IMO.

Compared to his usual standard then he did have a complete shocker - but most of the team didn't turn out for periods of the game as well.  Emre was awful in the first half, but came good in the second, Duff turned up for the first twenty minutes and went home after that, Shola - who had a great game v Wigan - was back to his worst (operation on his hip overdue?), unfortunately the defence turned up but played to the standard that made me want Kevin Scott to come out of retirement.  Only Scott Parker had any outstanding influence on the game.  On this performance twelve of the thirteen players on the pitch deserved criticism (and Parker too - puff having to come off with an injury  :winking:).  I'm not willing to write off Martins after just one game.  However, if by the time December comes around and we see the same type of static performance that we witnessed on Saturday......

Can anyone put up a decent argument against what they've said about Martins like?

Of course...

"one of the most inept, clueless and woeful displays that the famous number 9 shirt has ever witnessed"

Those comments are loaded with emotion, they're way over the top and if Martins was a Geordie, you know they'd write something like "he needs to start showing his £10m form soon" or something much tamer along those lines. I take it they weren't watching Shearer last season and some of his 'famous number nine' performances? Or indeed most of the season before that?

Exactly. Am sure Shearer spent 90 minutes rooted to the spot in a couple of games in his last 2 seasons. Definitely some bias going on.